• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NoA: Monster Hunter Generations (3DS) is the #1 selling game in July 2016

http://gonintendo.com/stories/263524-july-2016-npd-3ds-takes-top-hardware-monster-hunter-genrations

Nintendo of America Press Site said:
Pokémon Mania Helps Drive Nintendo 3DS to No. 1

The Nintendo 3DS platform finished July atop the hardware and software sales charts according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the U.S. The strong performance is in part thanks to the release of the Monster Hunter Generations game, continued momentum from the price drop of the Nintendo 2DS system and widespread positive public reception for the Pokémon GO mobile app, which has renewed interest in core Pokémon games on Nintendo systems. Additionally:

• The Nintendo 3DS family of systems sold nearly 80 percent more units this July compared to the same time period a year ago, and finished as the overall best-selling video game system in July. On the software side, Capcom’s Monster Hunter Generations emerged as the best-selling game for any system.
  • July sales of the Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire games for Nintendo 3DS were over 80 percent higher than July 2015. The games launched in November 2014.
  • July sales of the Pokémon X and Pokémon Y games for Nintendo 3DS were almost 200 percent higher than a year ago. The games launched in October 2013 and finished No. 16 and No. 22 on July’s best-sellers list, respectively.
  • Games playable on Nintendo systems claimed five of the top 11 spots on the July best-sellers list. These include Monster Hunter Generations from Capcom at No. 1, Minecraft: Wii U Edition from Microsoft at No. 6, Pokémon Omega Ruby at No. 8, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire at No. 10 and Kirby: Planet Robobot at No. 11.
  • The Nintendo 2DS system has crossed the 2 million lifetime sales mark in the U.S.
*Data regarding physical sales of games are from the NPD Group. Data regarding digital downloads of games and combined physical/digital life-to-date numbers are from Nintendo’s internal sales figures. All numbers, unless otherwise stated, are specific to the United States only.

For more information about Nintendo, visit http://www.nintendo.com.

georly

Good. I'm glad the game is finally getting big in the west. This would indeed be a killer app for NX, unlike how 3U wanted to be for Wii U.

I've already clocked in about 100 hours, i play it near daily. It's probably my favorite one so far.

Edit: Minecraft for Wii U at number 6?

NX *NEEDS* minecraft and a monster hunter in launch window. Needs needs needs.

ohlawd

Well fucking deserved. Not as good as 3U or 4U but it's still MH and the games are always the cream of the crop.

MANUELF

Banned
"July sales of the Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire games for Nintendo 3DS were over 80 percent higher than July 2015. The games launched in November 2014.
July sales of the Pokémon X and Pokémon Y games for Nintendo 3DS were almost 200 percent higher than a year ago. The games launched in October 2013 and finished No. 16 and No. 22 on July’s best-sellers list, respectively."

Pokemon Go his Power

wiibomb

excellent!!

loved the game and hope the community continue growing now that capcom is putting more effort in bring it to the west.

it even includes the japanese only collaborations that they never included in other games!

MegaPanda

Woah weird. I bring my 3DS to work and I feel like I haven't been getting as many mhgen streetpass notifications compared to 4U

Don't MH games always sell well? It came out in July, where nothing else of significance came out.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't the highest selling game lol.

Dystify

I hope MonHun Gen sold more than MH4U and MH3U on 3DS. I want the franchise to steadily increase in sales in the West so we get more Monster Hunter here and faster!

So with this level of success, does Monster Hunter Stories have any chance of being localized?

Don't MH games always sell well? It came out in July, where nothing else of significance came out.

In Japan, but they are faaaaaar more niche in the west. It's been rising in the past couple years though.

Eolz

Congrats, well deserved. I'd still recommend 4U to new players instead, but this is fantastic for more experienced players, even more when you've played older games.
This franchise has never done as well in the west since they are with Nintendo, and seems like it's still holding up quite well in Japan as well. Hope they'll announce Stories' localization soon, and can't wait for 5.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Great result. The series continues to hit its stride in the west on 3ds. Hope this bodes well for a Stories localization.
Man alt at that pokemon go effect to the software and the hw. I dont know since when the 3ds wasnt at n 1 in the US

wwm0nkey

Don't MH games always sell well? It came out in July, where nothing else of significance came out. I'd be surprised if it wasn't the highest selling game.
Didn't do too well outside of Japan until 4U. They never did bad but it finally got a good following in NA/EU

Bring on the NX version of Monster Hunter!

Monster Hunter NX may just give us cross-compatible console/handheld MH in one.

I want to play on my TV here in the U.S with people from Japan.

TreIII

Very nice. Capcom's choice to marry MH to Nintendo's hardware seems to be continuing to pay off.

Bring on that XG and/or 5, next. And hey, a localization for Stories would be gravy, too.

HeeHo

This is my favorite game right now. Glad it got its deserved sales. Some folks are kind of unimpressed with the game coming off of 4U but Generations has a ton to offer despite it not even being a G version of the game. I remember someone mentioned it has more quests than 4U before you take into account DLC quests.

Ridley327

It's only been a recent thing. The previous best chart position the series has gotten was #10, when MH4U came out and was able to ride the n3DS hype.

Considering how long the IP has been around and how long it's taken to get mainstream coverage outside of Japan, this is a huge symbolic victory for Capcom and Nintendo.

Kacho

Gold Member
Badass. I'm happy more people are beginning to understand and enjoy MH. Fantastic games.

Shinobi pls

Top Bottom