• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NoA: Monster Hunter Generations (3DS) is the #1 selling game in July 2016

Alric

Very nice. Capcom's choice to marry MH to Nintendo's hardware seems to be continuing to pay off.

Bring on that XG and/or 5, next. And hey, a localization for Stories would be gravy, too.

I hope they bring stories over too. Diary port would also be awesome.

moozoom

Great. Had a blast playing with friends tonight.

Looks good for Monster Hunter Stories localisation, I really want that one to come over to europe...
even if it goes to NX directly.

The Felyne poka village game would be great too, but I'm afraid this wouldn't sell well.

This is my favorite game right now. Glad it got its deserved sales. Some folks are kind of unimpressed with the game coming off of 4U but Generations has a ton to offer despite it not even being a G version of the game. I remember someone mentioned it has more quests than 4U before you take into account DLC quests.

The quests seem a little more streamlined then 4U. I wasn't a fan of how you had to level up quests in 4U, it was pretty confusing. In MHG the color swapped bosses and level up quests have some cool gimmicks/mechanics to getting the upgrades you need.

The gear upgrade system in general in MHG makes more sense as now I have something to do with all the little tid bits of pieces and chunks I get off the bosses as rewards.

Eolz

I thought MHG was the RPG but I assume Stories is that, what the heck is Generations?

I'm so out of the loop with this series.

Generations is basically a best of with some experiments from the Portable team while waiting for the next generation. Called MH X in japan.

maxcriden

Minecraft on Wii U from Microsoft.

If that can happen when is Sony going to bring one of their franchises to Nintendo?

Minecraft is a bit of a special case. But, if Sony wants to release select smaller Nintendo fan friendly games on NX I'm not sure I see the harm. Nor Nintendo releasing smaller Sony fan friendly games on PlayStation, like Codename STEAM.

FelipeMGM

MH is not much a surprise tbh, Pokémon software is the interesting data there.

Pokémon GO made a 2014 game get back on the top10 of NPD

Alrus

Hope it sells close or better than MH4U, this series growing in the west is a great thing.

I thought MHG was the RPG but I assume Stories is that, what the heck is Generations?

I'm so out of the loop with this series.

It's the western name for MH Cross (X). "Best of" the rest of the series with a couple of new gameplay additions.

Ridley327

The quests seem a little more streamlined then 4U. I wasn't a fan of how you had to level up quests in 4U, it was pretty confusing. In MHG the color swapped bosses and level up quests have some cool gimmicks/mechanics to getting the upgrades you need.

The gear upgrade system in general in MHG makes more sense as now I have something to do with all the little tid bits of pieces and chunks I get off the bosses as rewards.

It also really helped that they made they finally dropped the raw potential damage number nonsense and offered up a realistic upper end for damage output for weapons, so it's a lot easier to know what you're actually doing for output.

HeeHo

Nothing compares to playing this game with a controller though. I hope they think about making a console edition of a Monster Hunter game now. Or at least give us a 4U or Generations port on a console at some point. Nothing compares to using a regular controller over the 3DS.

I had MH3U on the Wii U and when I finally got a Pro controller I was whooping way more ass and my strikes and positioning were way more accurate. Voice chat would be nice too. Another thing that was in MH3U that hasn't returned.

Anyway, not to sound down on the games, I'm pretty happy about this.

wwm0nkey

Nothing compares to playing this game with a controller though. I hope they think about making a console edition of a Monster Hunter game now. Or at least give us a 4U or Generations port on a console at some point. Nothing compares to using a regular controller over the 3DS.

I had MH3U on the Wii U and when I finally got a Pro controller I was whooping way more ass and my strikes and positioning were way more accurate. Voice chat would be nice too. Another thing that was in MH3U that hasn't returned.

If the rumors/leaks about the NX are true we should be very happy when that series hits on that.

Minecraft on Wii U from Microsoft.

If that can happen when is Sony going to bring one of their franchises to Nintendo?

They did.

cover_medium.jpg

Popolocrois is a Sony IP.

It has performed well on this system so logically they should now put it on another entirely different system.

For the sake of PR clarification, when Nintendo say it was the best selling game in July, I suppose that's on an individual basis. Overall I think the best selling game in July was Minecraft (so yeah, slow month).

We also know from the usual leakers MHX was around 165 000 units (retail only). MH4U was 195 000 but it came with the New 3DS.

Do we have any numbers for the PSP MH games from NPD? And the original on PS2 for the heck of it.

I think I saw them recently around here. The debut on PS2 was 20 000 and the last one that came here on PSP grew to 75 000 or something like that.

EDIT : my bad, 68 000 for Monster Hunter Freedom Unite

Ridley327

Stories for an NX release and then 5 not too long after.

Believe.

I really hope we don't have to wait too long for Gen 5, but Stories turned out to be a pretty damn big project with all the multimedia aspects, so who knows how much progress they've been able to make on the next mainline title.

Cerity

Do we have any numbers for the PSP MH games from NPD? And the original on PS2 for the heck of it.

from the NPD thread:

Code:
[Sep, 2004] PS2 Monster Hunter (Capcom) < 20,000
[May, 2006] PSP Monster Hunter Freedom (Capcom) < 20,000
[Aug, 2007] PSP Monster Hunter Freedom 2 (Capcom) - I don't have data for this title.
[Jun, 2009] PSP Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (Capcom) - 68,768
[Apr, 2010] WIU Monster Hunter 3 Tri (Capcom) - 126,000
[Mar, 2013] 3DS + WIU Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Capcom) < 130,000
[Feb, 2015] 3DS Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (Capcom) < 195,000 (290,000 including digital sales)
[Jul, 2016] 3DS Monster Hunter Generations (Capcom) > 165,000

Considering the previous MH got beat in monthly NPD rankings by games that didn't release in the same month, taking #1 is an achievement regardless of what else came out in July!

Also publishers are still super skittish about releasing in the summer for whatever reason.

Yeah, it got beat by old multiplat games that were combined, that's not what Nintendo is using here though, so this claim checks out as mostly false.

Sterok

Just top selling SKU, which isn't surprising given that it was the biggest release of the month and exclusive even ignoring the Pokemon boost. But Monster Hunter topping something in the west is always cool. Now for the 3DS to continue its momentum with the newest release in Nintendo's beloved Style Savvy series.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
XG/Generations Ultimate is definitely happening. That's the title I'd look out for an NX launch period release.

Good for MH, but the really eye-opening stuff here are the Go bumps.

If they can maintain even a fraction of this momentum, Sun and Moon are going to be monsters.

fernoca

Too bad NPD is no longer like the old days...

01. Monster Hunter Generations
02. ???
03. ???
04. ???
05. ???
06. Minecraft: Wii U Edition
07. ???
08. Pokémon Omega Ruby
09. ???
10. Pokémon Alpha Sapphire
11. Kirby: Planet Robobot
12. ???
13. ???
14. ???
15. ???
16. Pokémon X
17. ???
18. ???
19. ???
20. ???
21. ???
22. Pokémon Y

Minecraft Wii U getting sixth when it's in its second month and it launched 6 months after digital where it sold a lot is impressive.

Top Bottom