• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NoA Treehouse on Mother 3: "I wouldn't look forward to it in the immediate future"

FoneBone

http://www.planetgamecube.com/specialArt.cfm?artid=12337
So much for the DS rumor? Shit.

PGC: Alright, so can you comment on anything you're working on now? Zelda is done, EBA is done. Are you going to be able let anything slip?

Bihldorff: Can I...what can I comment on...no, actually I can't comment on anything now more than what we're showing right now. [Laughs] This period of time, I guess it's sort of post-launch for me because I've wrapped up all my launch games, but there's a lot of support involved afterwards. Specifically a lot of really boring stuff, like doing manuals. Especially with a game as high-profile as Zelda, not only doing events like this where you have to show it to people, but also sitting down and making sure the right kind of screenshots gets taken, the right kind of footage gets taken, for a thousand people wanting it. You want to release footage here, you want to release screenshots here. So that certainly takes up a lot of my time right now. As far as specific projects that I'm working on, they're all secret.

PGC: They're all secret?

Bihldorff: Yeah. Are there any other ones we've announced that I'm allowed to talk about? [Thinking] No. Some of my writers have been working on games that we've pretty much announced, but I think I'm going to keep my mouth shut on that one for now. [Laughs] Awesome stuff, though!

PGC: If I were to say... would games like, I don't know...Rhythm Heaven or Mother 3 be filed under that 'awesome stuff'?

Bihldorff: Man, Mother 3. I don't know what's going on with that game. That's already out in Japan, right? Was it awesome, did you play through it?

PGC: No. I'd like to, but it's all in Japanese. That's where you guys come in!

Bihldorff: No, me personally, I'm not working on Mother 3. I don't have all the writers under me, so there may be other people in discussions going on with it, but I wouldn't look forward to it in the immediate future, no. Sorry, I know! There's a big Mother fanbase, there is. At least everyone can go back and play Melee to get your Ness on. [Laughs]

deletetk6.gif

:(

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
demi said:
can we talk about the translation patch or is that a no-no : ))

Is there new info other than the apparent fact that the main translator just pretended to work on Mother 3 for a long time but didn't actually do anything the whole time?

Amir0x

Banned
There's a big Mother fanbase, there is. At least everyone can go back and play Melee to get your Ness on. [Laughs]

WHAT THE **** IS WITH THIS KNIFE TWISTING SHIT?

God Nintendo is such a huge worthless piece of shit.

WindyMan

Sorry guys, I couldn't get Nintendo to say they are working on an English Mother 3. I have failed as an interviewer and as a person. I'm going to go kill myself now.

Oh wait, I still need to finish playing Zelda. I guess those suicide plans are going to be put on hold!

Beezy

Amir0x said:

:lol :lol :lol

I bet Tingle's game will reach the states before Mother 3. :lol

ethelred

Amir0x said:

That's the part of it that pissed me off the most. Talk about adding insult to injury.

demi

Chairman Yang said:
Is there new info other than the apparent fact that the main translator just pretended to work on Mother 3 for a long time but didn't actually do anything the whole time?

Is that true?

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
demi said:
Is that true?

Last I heard, yes...the main translator disappeared from the project for a long time. Maybe she'll show up and magically deliver all the stuff she was supposed to work on, but I'm scared that won't happen.

Does anyone else have more info?

ethelred

Lindsay said:
What happened to the supposed European release? Also a failed rumor?

Didn't that come from ONM?

If so, I imagine Mother 3 will be released in Europe the week after their RE Wii exclusive materializes.

Aeana

I am not sure if I would even play that mother3.org patch if it actually came out. The script is very sensitive and in my opinion, not just anybody is capable. The only fan translator whose work I am familiar with whom I would trust with the script is Tomato/Clyde Mandelin. Treehouse could do some excellent work with it, and I actually waited to play it in hopes that they would take it on, even though I could probably very comfortably play the Japanese game. :\ Maybe I will just play it anyway. Jerks. :(

bluemax

Banned
Aeana said:
I am not sure if I would even play that mother3.org patch if it actually came out. The script is very sensitive and in my opinion, not just anybody is capable. The only fan translator whose work I am familiar with whom I would trust with the script is Tomato/Clyde Mandelin. Treehouse could do some excellent work with it, and I actually waited to play it in hopes that they would take it on, even though I could probably very comfortably play the Japanese game. :\ Maybe I will just play it anyway. Jerks. :(

Tomato would probably translate it, if he knew beyond a shadow of a doubt there would never be an official release. Since there's still the mildest glimmer of hope he won't do it.

Amir0x

Banned
TiVo said:
This looks like a job for ATLUS!!!

No, Nintendo actively BLOCKED anyone from publishing the title in the USA. So, no job for Atlus!

A job for Nintendo to **** with its fans!

Tiktaalik

What the hell is wrong with NoA? They're taking chances on all sorts of wacky DS games, but they won't release a game, even in limited release, with a large, proven fanbase just because a different game in the same series didn't sell well a decade ago. **** them.

Alex

Magical Vacation is ****ing horrible.

I'm buying a USED copy of Zelda: TP due to this! That'll show them!

Porridge

AN OPEN LETTER TO ALL VIDEO GAME JOURNALISTS

Please get to the bottom of this. Get Nintendo of America to just tell its almost sickeningly loyal fans why it is not releasing Mother 3 in North America.

The next time you interview anyone related to Nintendo, ask them about this. Please. Get this over with already.

Love,
Porridge

Chemo

Porridge said:
AN OPEN LETTER TO ALL VIDEO GAME JOURNALISTS

Please get to the bottom of this. Get Nintendo of America to just tell its almost sickeningly loyal fans why it is not releasing Mother 3 in North America.

The next time you interview anyone related to Nintendo, ask them about this. Please. Get this over with already.

Love,
Porridge
For ****ing real. Is no one that talks to these people the SLIGHTEST bit interested in exactly what the hell happened to this game?

They won't release it themselves, and they won't let anyone ELSE release it. I think, honestly, it's starmen.net's fault. Anyone remember that shit they did years ago where they called into NOA all weekend asking about Mother 1+2 GBA's potential release in the US? I read some comments from people who did it and apparently the customer service reps were PISSED. This kind of total cockblockery makes me think they're doing it on purpose -- not that I could blame them in THAT case, because clogging customer service for a weekend is not the damn way to go about getting a company to do something you want.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
No one with any kind of decision making authority at Nintendo (as it pertains to which games get localized, of course), is going to give a flying **** about a couple of customer service reps' ruined weekends!

Ashodin

Amir0x said:
No, Nintendo actively BLOCKED anyone from publishing the title in the USA. So, no job for Atlus!

A job for Nintendo to **** with its fans!
cockblocking sons of bitches

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
There must be a reason for Nintendo actively blocking even external attempts to localize Mother 3. For the longest time they did the same for Ogre Battle 64, presumably because they intended to handle that one themselves. Finally they gave up on it, and Atlus picked it up.

IIRC.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Chemo said:
I think, honestly, it's starmen.net's fault. Anyone remember that shit they did years ago where they called into NOA all weekend asking about Mother 1+2 GBA's potential release in the US? I read some comments from people who did it and apparently the customer service reps were PISSED. This kind of total cockblockery makes me think they're doing it on purpose -- not that I could blame them in THAT case, because clogging customer service for a weekend is not the damn way to go about getting a company to do something you want.

Yeah I bet the customer service reps let Reggie know how much Mother fans suck ass at their daily meetings.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:

man i wonder why you still hang on with nintendo, they are clearly evil!

thefro

There's really no excuse for not announcing a release of the game.

They could release it on Virtual Console for 3000 points or something and people would be falling over themselves to download it and it'd be pure profit for Nintendo.

BocoDragon

The thing I don't get is that there is so much Mother hype..... I'll bet many of the people who are nuts about Mother 3 not showing up didn't actually play Earthbound back in the day. It's just that if you're a Nintendo/RPG fan on the net in the past 10 years: You know about it.

Chemo

BocoDragon said:
Yeah I bet the customer service reps let Reggie know how much Mother fans suck ass at their daily meetings.
Do you actually think that a major corporation doesn't know when its lines are choked all weekend for some bullshit? Call centers don't just pick up a regular phone. They track that information in databases and they notice when the volume spikes.

And it wasn't like two people calling in. I'm sure starmen.net has a whole thing about it on their site somewhere. They SLAMMED Nintendo's call center morning and night for a weekend, calling repeatedly. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a thread here for it when it happened.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Chemo said:
For ****ing real. Is no one that talks to these people the SLIGHTEST bit interested in exactly what the hell happened to this game?

They won't release it themselves, and they won't let anyone ELSE release it. I think, honestly, it's starmen.net's fault. Anyone remember that shit they did years ago where they called into NOA all weekend asking about Mother 1+2 GBA's potential release in the US? I read some comments from people who did it and apparently the customer service reps were PISSED. This kind of total cockblockery makes me think they're doing it on purpose -- not that I could blame them in THAT case, because clogging customer service for a weekend is not the damn way to go about getting a company to do something you want.
doing it on purpose to spite fans, definitely not. but i really would love to know their thought process on this one. there must be a more logical reason that something like magical vacation got preference over mother 3 in america than 'nintendo am stuoopid they hate us!' maybe the team that worked on mv/ms were in a better position to translate it? i dunno. it feels like a conspiracy theory in the making, but something ****ed up is going on here.

maybe cause it's not a ds title??

BocoDragon

Chemo said:
Do you actually think that a major corporation doesn't know when its lines are choked all weekend for some bullshit? Call centers don't just pick up a regular phone. They track that information in databases and they notice when the volume spikes.

And it wasn't like two people calling in. I'm sure starmen.net has a whole thing about it on their site somewhere. They SLAMMED Nintendo's call center morning and night for a weekend, calling repeatedly. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a thread here for it when it happened.

Yeah, I bet Nintendo was ****ing pissed that one of their titles had so much interest.

"Cancel all games in the series! That'll show those lil bastards!"

mattiewheels said:
doing it on purpose to spite fans, definitely not. but i really would love to know their thought process on this one. there must be a more logical reason that something like magical vacation got preference over mother 3 in america than 'nintendo am stuoopid they hate us!' maybe the team that worked on mv/ms were in a better position to translate it? i dunno. it feels like a conspiracy theory in the making, but something ****ed up is going on here.

It's a DS game. Mother 3 is a GBA RPG being released post-2006 that isn't an FF advance. I can see why they did it even though it's dumb.

Top Bottom