• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NoE starting to advertise the 3DS' strongest feature: Play Nintendo DS software in 2D

Shiggy

For the first time ever, the Nintendo 3DS makes it possible to play Nintendo DS titles in 2D. Play classics such as Mario Kart DS, Tetris DS and Ping Pals finally in 2D on the new handheld!

6177762143_aef6647978_b.jpg

And they really wonder why people think it's just another DS update?

Shiggy

nincompoop said:
They're saying that so stupid people won't think it magically makes DS games run in 3D.

It'd be wiser to tell those stupid people that it's an entirely new system with its own software ;)

Cipherr

Shiggy said:

This is more of an issue the newer the system is. With lots of games coming out now that will sell alot, and the system aging, AND the 3DS being priced at about the same a DS is, this is less of an issue now. They should be driving home the fact that you can pay an extra 10$ for a 3DS instead of buying a DS. Thats a good push direction for them since they are backwards compatible.

Time and 3DS exclusive games will resolve the other issue. Although theres still no excuse for how badly they bungled that at the launch.

Shiggy said:
It'd be wiser to tell those stupid people that it's an entirely new system with its own software ;)
They still want to advertise backwards compatibility as a feature.

Maybe it would have been better if they said "Compatible with all Nintendo DS, DS Lite, DSi software" with a footnote saying that DS software is not playable in 3D?

Ocaso

Shiggy said:

Agreed. This really doesn't seem as if it will help differentiate the DS from the 3DS very well and still lends itself to being misinterpreted since they mention the depth slider right next to the ridiculous 2D "feature".

Shiggy

nincompoop said:
They still want to advertise backwards compatibility as a feature.

Maybe it would have been better if they said "Compatible with all Nintendo DS, DS Lite, DSi software" with a footnote saying that DS software is not playable in 3D?

I mean it's OK that they want to advertise that. But focussing on that particular feature creates a wrong impression I think.

inky

Nintendo presents it's new Wii console version, the WiiU. Play all of your favorite games like Wii SportsTM and Super Mario GalaxyTM in amazing 480p definition.

Nintendo WiiU now available at a lower price. (Not that you care if you still got a Wii)

Majine

Banned
inky said:
Nintendo presents it's new Wii console version, the WiiU. Play all of your favorite games like Wii SportsTM and Super Mario GalaxyTM in amazing 480p definition.

Nintendo WiiU now available at a lower price. (Not that you care if you still got a Wii)
+ You can throw away the Wii U Controller and just use a Wiimote.

Well, right now I can say that being able to play DS games is the strongest argument in favour of owning a 3DS.

Problem is that it's an even stronger argument for owning a DS variant.

Sylver

Banned
Decarb said:
So what happens if you put slider to 3D while playing DS games?
This is what Nintendo wants with this kind of ad. Make people buy the 3DS to check what happens
Nothing. Now you've got a 3DS and you've checked buy 3DS games

they should've done this since day one, this would've have helped them a lot.

anyway, I think it's time for Nintendo to cease any Nintendo DS SKU production, just let it pass away.

if I didn't know how it functions, that is if I was a parent or something, this ad would make me believe that 2D games can be played in 3D as well (judging by the description of the slider), and that this ad means that if I am afraid of my children playing in 3D, I can set it in 2D.

While it's posting solid numbers in Japan, NPD isn't exactly blowing me away.
which is not surprising, considering Japan is getting much much more games :(

pelican

Shiggy said:
For the first time ever, the Nintendo 3DS makes it possible to play Nintendo DS titles in 2D. Play classics such as Mario Kart DS, Tetris DS and Ping Pals finally in 2D on the new handheld!

6177762143_aef6647978_b.jpg

grasping at straws....

dogmanstaruk said:
grasping at straws....
being BC probably had a great impact on design of 3DS, only a fool would think they wouldn't advertise BC, specially now that it has become confusing (Though whether this ad helps it or actually makes it worse, I am not sure really)

nincompoop said:
They're saying that so stupid people won't think it magically makes DS games run in 3D.

This, and they say the system plays 3D right after. So putting 1 and 1 together, if DS games play in 2d then...NEW GAMES PLAY IN 3D! It's not a dumb ad, it's a dumb proof ad

Also what part of the ad makes that seem like it's strongest feature?

Shiggy

Zoramon089 said:
This, and they say the system plays 3D right after. So putting 1 and 1 together, if DS games play in 2d then...NEW GAMES PLAY IN 3D! It's not a dumb ad, it's a dumb proof ad

It rather creates the impression of being able to play DS games in 3D, but in addition to that still in 2D.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Nirolak said:
While it's posting solid numbers in Japan, NPD isn't exactly blowing me away.

Mmmh...instead last NPD numbers have been good, and very good looking at what happened to DS the same month

pelican

walking fiend said:
being BC probably had a great impact on design of 3DS, only a fool would think they wouldn't advertise BC, specially now that it has become confusing (Though whether this ad helps it or actually makes it worse, I am not sure really)

BC is a useful feature, but to actually use that as being a USP of the new console doesn't show great confidence in the consoles actual unique features - 3d and a exclusive software range.

Xater said:
I laughed.

I really can't wait how Nintendo would spin a relaunch of this system. Might end up being really funny.

Why would it need a relaunch? That'd be the dumbest idea ever

dogmanstaruk said:
BC is a useful feature, but to actually use that as being a USP of the new console doesn't show great confidence in the consoles actual unique features - 3d and a exclusive software range.

New software is a given if people know it's new HW...

jgkspsx

Special bonus feature: if you have good eyesight, most DS games look like ass in large size and all are microscopic in true resolution!

BTW, does all the dark screen in true resolution use power? I assume the whole backlight is on all the time...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Mpl90 said:
Mmmh...instead last NPD numbers have been good, and very good looking at what happened to DS the same month
If we have to rate it relative to a giant crash for the DS though, that doesn't strike me as a good thing.

The 3DS has to do well without lots of qualifying statements for me to think it is doing well.

Nirolak said:
If we have to rate it relative to a giant crash for the DS though, that doesn't strike me as a good thing.

The 3DS has to do well without lots of qualifying statements for me to think it is doing well.

Ok. It did well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Zoramon089 said:
Ok. It did well.
I disagree and feel it must do significantly better during the holiday season if it wants to have any hope of one day reaching the heights the Nintendo DS did.

Could it do a lot better this holiday? Sure, but I don't see evidence of that yet.

Top Bottom