• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nogami Hisashi (Splatoon Producer) Hints Possible Content Update (not confirm)

Shun

Do not take what me and other members say as confirmed news yet, I will provide 3 different transcript my own and 2 other users for what we heard Nogami say during his speech in the stream.

It is not confirmed but me and many others heard Nogami mention a possible Splatoon content update after the Koshien Finals. Even though all new update content was schedule to end in January, maybe we can do little more.

1月でアップデートは終了するとお知らせしましたが、もう少し何かが出来ないかなと考え始めています (me and other friend)

1月で追加コンテンツ更新は終わったけどもう少し何かできないかと思い始めてる (2ch commenter)

1月以降もアプデするかも」「これからもスプラトゥーン好きのためにイベントを (Splatoon Nawabari news)
Again not confirmed, but what we heard him say on stream lines up.

Nogami was crying and was very happy to see the success during the tournament he slipped that in while he cry and over loud music during Nico Stream, that is why there is 3 different transcript of what he say. We don't know if it is new content DLC or something else but the meaning is same across them.

Nanashrew

Banned
I'm curious to know what it is. I'd also hope we can get a full translation of his whole speech because he was choking up and had tears of happiness as he was talking.

Shun

What are those weird characters you typed in?
Any meaning?

I type it on the topic post? It is up there.

sorry not I am not native english but it basically says that even though content update end in January, I am thinking we can do a little more.

He said that and slipped that in his speech after the Kosher Finals while crying over Splatoon music. Other people heard similar but the meaning is consensus.

Jintor

If you're wondering what the direct translation of the transcripts is it's something along the lines of "The last content rollout is scheduled for next month (or in a month?), but we're starting to think about whether we can do a little something"

My listening wasn't good enough to pick it out until the screen was flooded with あああああああああああああああ

mStudios

Hiragana and Kanji, Japanese.

I type it on the topic post? It is up there.

sorry not I am not native english but it basically says that even though content update end in January, I am thinking we can do a little more.

He said that and slipped that in his speech after the Kosher Finals while crying over Splatoon music. Other people heard similar but the meaning is consensus.

Thanks for the translation.

Jintor

Personally, given that he said 'final update', I'm inclined to think it won't be directly game related (as in a patch or more characters or whatever), but I'm unsure.

1月でアップデートは終了するとお知らせしましたが、もう少し何かが出来ないかなと考え始めています

My take:

"We announced that updates to the game would end in January but I'm starting to wonder if we can't organize a little something else."

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone clarify why he was crying? Was it because of something at the tournament in particular or was it in response to the general big success Splatoon has had in Japan? The OP makes me think it was because of the tournament in particular, but I don't understand why that would make him emotional.

Here's my recording of the speech, anyone can translate the full thing? He's really moved to tears...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz09uRkTDx0&feature=youtu.be

(Disclaimer: yes, it's the channel of my website)

He comments on how almost one year ago they deputed Splatoon for the first time on stage and that they owe the progress and success of the team over that time thanks to people like the ones gathered there, the ones who unfortunately were unable to participate there, and everyone watching the stream at home for their constant support and encouragement.

I can't quite gather the middle portion but he goes on to comment again that the only reason Splatoon came as far as it has is thanks to players like the ones he's looking out at right now and has been thinking about ways he can express his appreciation. "I know we announced that the content updates were going to end in January, but it's possible we might be able to do something more in the future. (What a huge announcement!) Just please give us some time. We hope you'll continue to enjoy Splatoon and the Squid Research Lab!"

vareon

Can anyone clarify why he was crying? Was it because of something at the tournament in particular or was it in response to the general big success Splatoon has had in Japan? The OP makes me think it was because of the tournament in particular, but I don't understand why that would make him emotional.

It began as a "garage" project, yet it was a huge success and he's addressing his fans in Koshien after a huge tournament. Right at the end of content updates too, which was a goodbye of some sort. Easy enough for anyone to become a bit emotional.

Which is why I think we shouldn't take his words too literally. Given the positive atmosphere there, of course the thought of creating more for Splatoon crossed his mind, but I don't take it as an announcement or a slip of unannounced stuff. Something like "we'll surely meet again" without knowing when and how.

Or maybe he went straight to the office and proposed more content! Who knows!

My interpretation of the translations is "Uh this game is really fucking popular, so even though we're doing other stuff, maybe it makes sense to have a skeleton crew pump out a bit more."

Considering there was apparently rumors of Callie and Marie amiibo, I would bet there's more to this than just a hope.

Teknoman

They cant stop doing updates until a Jet Set Radio update with Beat, Gum, and a few inklish Jet Set themes are implemented.

Happy to see him crying, that game turned into something special. Among the sea of doubters, I thought it had a chance to sell very well and it's probably the most important thing to happen to Nintendo this tough 4 years because it means they have another franchise in the family of really good ones.

My interpretation of the translations is "Uh this game is really fucking popular, so even though we're doing other stuff, maybe it makes sense to have a skeleton crew pump out a bit more."

Considering there was apparently rumors of Callie and Marie amiibo, I would bet there's more to this than just a hope.

Yeah pretty much. This is, if I recall correctly, the first new IP to sell over 1 million on home consoles in Japan in at least a decade or something. Spitting out a little bit more content to keep things ticking over while they work on a sequel only makes sense to me.

L~A

Yeah pretty much. This is, if I recall correctly, the first new IP to sell over 1 million on home consoles in Japan in at least a decade or something. Spitting out a little bit more content to keep things ticking over while they work on a sequel only makes sense to me.

I dunno... them stopping DLC content basically right after the holidays, despite some major stuff found in game files seems suspicious to me (especially with a new platform unveiling coming this year).

I guess it's just confirmation bias on my end, but I wouldn't be surprised they chose to focus on the sequel instead. And today's speech was basically a "ok, thank you guys, one more thing for you".

Then again, I really don't know. I'll be happy with whatever they do, on whatever platform.

Hyperbole

Banned
I'm very satisfied with what we got from splatoon. More levels would be nice but not totally necessary for me. The real thing I want from splatoon is 4 players on 1 console going online as a team. This would cement splatoon as the defacto couch multiplayer game, for any platform. Anything less than this in splatoon 2 will be a disappointment for me. Sure add in a third color, mounted turrets, more game modes, longer and more epic single player, etc. That's all nice, but I want to invite 3 friends over to my house and go online with them.

Raitaro

I'm very satisfied with what we got from splatoon. More levels would be nice but not totally necessary for me. The real thing I want from splatoon is 4 players on 1 console going online as a team. This would cement splatoon as the defacto couch multiplayer game, for any platform. Anything less than this in splatoon 2 will be a disappointment for me. Sure add in a third color, mounted turrets, more game modes, longer and more epic single player, etc. That's all nice, but I want to invite 3 friends over to my house and go online with them.

I'm agreeing with this. Going online from one console (if technically doable) with multiple players would be cool. I'd also wish for LAN support to help sustain the game and its community for when the servers will inevitably shut down and render 80% of the game useless. I mean, if Pokken can support such a thing, why not Splatoon (which seems made for local tournament play).

I'd also like to echo those that say they want playable Octolings. I've always thought that adding them as a second playable (heavy?) class complete with their own slower walk and swim speed, increased health, and perhaps even unique gear, would help to keep this game interesting for years to come even if they'll never add more maps.

(I'd also be up for more single player content featuring the sisters of course!)

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Here's my recording of the speech, anyone can translate the full thing? He's really moved to tears...

<3333

So amazing how much of a success Splatoon has been, when so many doubted it, myself included.

It is without a doubt the most popular multiplayer shooter in Japanese history and the sales worldwide have been mind boggling. Like I said in a previous thread I hope North America, EU, Australia can put together some squads to play against some of these ridiculously good Japanese squads and make it an e-sport phenomenon, which it already is.

There are shooter fans who brush aside Splatoon the same way fighting game fans brushed aside Super Smash Bros. The game is legit, is fun as hell to watch and is here to stay.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I'd also wish for LAN support to help sustain the game and its community for when the servers will inevitably shut down and render 80% of the game useless. I mean, if Pokken can support such a thing, why not Splatoon (which seems made for local tournament play).

Splatoon does have LAN play but it also expects you to be connected to the online server for trivial reasons, so yeah, it'd be nice if they disabled that requirement eventually.

Then again, if Splatoon is being prepared as a launch title for NX there may be a possibility of cross-play, in which case they probably won't touch it.

Jintor

There are shooter fans who brush aside Splatoon the same way fighting game fans brushed aside Super Smash Bros. The game is legit, is fun as hell to watch and is here to stay.

I hate to do the gatekeeping thing but man, if shooter fans brush aside Splatoon, they don't have a clue what a shooter is really about.

He comments on how almost one year ago they deputed Splatoon for the first time on stage and that they owe the progress and success of the team over that time thanks to people like the ones gathered there, the ones who unfortunately were unable to participate there, and everyone watching the stream at home for their constant support and encouragement.

I can't quite gather the middle portion but he goes on to comment again that the only reason Splatoon came as far as it has is thanks to players like the ones he's looking out at right now and has been thinking about ways he can express his appreciation. "I know we announced that the content updates were going to end in January, but it's possible we might be able to do something more in the future. (What a huge announcement!) Just please give us some time. We hope you'll continue to enjoy Splatoon and the Squid Research Lab!"

Nogami' being at the tournament and supporting his game. Even moved to tears in gratefulness. Starting as a "garage" project and becoming one of highest selling Wii-U games. the highest selling one in Japan and even getting a concert and nation wide tournament. It's been an amazing success. Nintendo better take care of it.

While I would rather have them fully working on Splatoon 2 for NX. I would be happy with some new content too. Maybe something in May to celebrate a year of Splatoon?

Squid Sisters Amiibo are so ridiculously easy to implement and they're soon be done with Smash and Animal Crossing's lines that they should absolutely come.

Diffense

The game has a lot of content now but the periodic updates were nice and another one would be welcome. I'm sure a sequel was approved ages ago and they also have to shift resources to that. Yet, they probably have many things on the cutting room floor that they could develop as additional splatoon content if a few people can be allocated to it. Since there's such an active and growing player base it would be a nice gesture to continue to support the game a little while longer.

Top Bottom