• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Noises from nature: annoying or enjoyable?

Annoying, or enjoyable?

• Some nature noises are fine, but high volume annoys me

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • Wildlife noises are great

Votes: 34 60.7%
  • Annoying. I want it to be quieter than a tomb outside

Votes: 5 8.9%

• Total voters

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I am sitting on my back porch, and dang these cicadas are loud. I'm not sure if I like it or not. Do you get annoyed by bird chatter, or frogs croaking, or various insect noises? What about noises from weather?

Every Japanese anime ever seems to have some clip where cicadas are crying:

MetalAlien

Banned
and now a....

giphy.gif

G-Bus

Banned
It's all great until your next door aunt decides she's going to feed crows day old bread at 5am every morning then abruptly stop after a month because it's attracted too many.

Pellet gun took care of that real quick. They're definitely intelligent.

Papa

Banned
Depends. If it's a cacophony of screeching birds and cicadas, no, that's annoying. Gentle running water and general ambience are highly enjoyable and relaxing though. I love Emancipator for this reason as he works the sounds of nature into his music:

TacosNSalsa

I'm at my mom's now in NJ and it's louder here than it is at my place in Brooklyn .It always shocks me how loud the crickets and other night time critters are around here . And at about 330 am or so the birds start !! I guess I prefer nature

Last edited:

MayauMiao

I am sitting on my back porch, and dang these cicadas are loud. I'm not sure if I like it or not. Do you get annoyed by bird chatter, or frogs croaking, or various insect noises? What about noises from weather?

Every Japanese anime ever seems to have some clip where cicadas are crying:

Yeah it gets annoying to the point of becoming a trope. Probably a way of Japanese animation studio save money by adding the sound as filler.

We listen to movies all day. I have like 200 on my mp3 player.

Wow i dont think i can do that. Aside from wanting a picture to go along with it...id be too unfocused. Were allowed to have nflx or video up but i get too distracted to be able multitask it. If i try to work i dont follow whats going on in the video and if i try to follow the movie i dont work. Audiobooks work better for me than movies, but still i can easily zone out of one or the other at times.

I like whles singing, native/tribal music, rennaisance music, gregorian chants, meditation music, handpans, instrumentals, ambient, nature like rainforests, storms, insects etc. and movie scores

Last edited:

Weilthain

Banned
Was camping with my brother and a couple of friends when we were teenagers. The area was super noisy with wildlife noises and one early morning the animals were all waking up and singing away.
My brother being the grumpy twat he is can’t stand being woken up by animals in their natural habitat. He just screams “SHUT THE FUCK UUUUPPPP” at the top of his voice and the world went quiet for about 20 secs. Was funny considering he was being serious shouting at the birds, and that we were on a camp sight surrounded by other people sleeping.

MetalAlien

Banned
Wow i dont think i can do that. Were allowed to have bflx or video up but i get too distracted to be able multitask it. If i try to work i dont follow whats going on in the video and if i try to follow the movie i dont work. Audiobooks work better for me than movies, but still i can easily zone out of one or the other at times.

I like whles singing, native/tribal music, rennaisance music, gregorian chants, meditation music, handpans, instrumentals, ambient, nature like rainforests, storms, insects etc. and movie scores
Well I convert them to mp3s so there is no video. We get bored of music all day.

Liljagare

Rainstorms and ocean sounds are all nice and good to fall asleep to.

But screw the damn birds that start when the sun rises, here at 230 AM during summer.. :p

Shelbutt

Growing up my mom had a rather large koi pond (not like a natural one tho) and apparently it attracted half of the tree frog population in the entire US because I slept on the opposite side of the house and I could hear them clear as day. Super irritating. But I do like the noises when it's not an overwhelming amount if that makes sense

thief183

Nature is hostile, if you live long enough in the middle of it you will realize that nature will do whatever it can to piss you off.

It is 36 years that I live in the middle of it, it is awesome but I can't stand the sound of it anymore, I need silence, real silence.

Saber

Gold Member
Nature is what conforts me. Sound of wind, birds, the rain, animals...felt so normal and conforting.

Nothing like what we have here. High sound of cars horns, kids screaming in very high tones when they're playing(this one happens basically everyday since theres a lot of kids around here and they play during and after school), noises from people building or fixing houses...

I take sounds from nature anyday.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
superior in every way.

analog noises (musical instruments) are great but they are usually limited to the 12 tones.

digital noises are chopped up approximations of real noises.

something like the sound of the ocean, you can't compare. this is the breath of the world.

Nymphae

Banned
Both. Wind and rain and small animal noises are cool and relaxing. Cicadas just became background noise for me growing up, you eventually just stop noticing it, it's kind of weird how that works. But in general I always prefer peace and quiet. I have a dog that lives across the street from me that is barking if my window is open and it drives me insane sometimes.

Last edited:
Nature sounds (I won't use the word noises here) always beat city noises for me. So soothing. It very rarely even feels like noise because everything feel harmonious - like the sounds belong.

The city is a chaotic cacophony that just wears away at the parasympathetic nervous system. Drains the life right out of me if in it for long.

I love the sounds of nature generally. I feel at home when surrounded by those sounds. I would say 99% of the time nature sounds are great but those cicadas and things can get pretty crazy.

When I joined the Army I had lived in Oregon all my life and spent basic training in Ft. Sill Oklahoma. The bugs were so loud and constant and it was unlike anything I had ever really experienced up to that point. That combined with the harsh reality that you face entering reception and getting a taste of drill sergeants for the first time is something I will never forget. A lot of those sounds are intertwined with that whole experience for me.

Depends. If it's a cacophony of screeching birds and cicadas, no, that's annoying. Gentle running water and general ambience are highly enjoyable and relaxing though. I love Emancipator for this reason as he works the sounds of nature into his music:

Thanks for sharing! I clicked one of those and decided to go download all his stuff in Apple Music. Apparently he's from Portland too.

Kamina

Golden Boy
To those who said Wildlife noises are great:
Imagine you are sleeping in on your free day. The window is open for oxygen and cool air because its too warm otherwise. Its 6am, you are fast asleep, when the rising sun outside wakes the birds in their nests.
One of those birds decides he has to fly to a tree close to your house and sits on a branch closest to your window.
Then it starts with its song, rips you out of your sleep, and in order to be able to continue you have to get up and close to close the window.

I do like some wildlife noises, but those birds waking me on my days off have made me their eternal enemy.

Ornlu

Banned
Imagine you are sleeping in on your free day. The window is open for oxygen and cool air because its too warm otherwise. Its 6am, you are fast asleep, when the rising sun outside wakes the birds in their nests.
One of those birds decides he has to fly to a tree close to your house and sits on a branch closest to your window.
Then it starts with its song, rips you out of your sleep, and in order to be able to continue you have to get up and close to close the window.

I do like some wildlife noises, but those birds waking me on my days off have made me their eternal enemy.

They're just trying to get their fuck on, bro. Don't cockblock!

Sakura

Cicadas can be fucking deafening sometimes, but the noise is so constant you can eventually ignore it.
Only nature sounds I really hate has to be birds in the morning. These fucking crows man. 4am and I swear to god they just sit outside my window making their stupid crow sounds for the fun of it.

Last edited:

Acidizer

Banned
I'd like to slit the throat of every seagull alive.

Dogs can be annoying, especially yappy fuckers (not sure if they count as "nature")

But most other things are relaxing. Wood pigeons I find very relaxing.

There are websites that you can mix and match nature sounds like thunder, lightning, rain, brooks, bird song, crickets etc and white noise. Can be useful if you hate silence when sleeping or have the tinnitus.

Last edited:

Acidizer

Banned

I have a problem like this, except replace sweet bird song, which you can actually acclimatise to, and replace it with traffic going past, car doors slamming and junkie bastards coughing up lungs when out for a 6 fucking AM smoke.

I'd love some cool oxygen airflow but no bueno.

Teletraan1

Banned
I am fine with nature sounds but I cannot take excessive bird noises. The dumbfucks in my neighborhood have bird feeders and attract far too many birds. I honestly don't understand why people put them out. My car gets full of shit, if I open up a window in the morning it is just pure screeching. If birds can't find food naturally in this rural area they don't deserve to live.

Top Bottom