• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nolan North says Naughty Dog is making a sequel to 8+ mil selling game The Last of Us

Figured as much, but damn that's good news. TLoU with the presentation of U4 and a more open level design is all I need. New characters would be great too, with Ellie and Joel coming back to finish off the trilogy.

To be honest, I appreciated the fact that TLoU, especially when compared to Uncharted, had quite a few open levels that you could approach in a non-linear fashion, so I was glad to see Uncharted 4 take inspiration from that.

Alienous

Yeah

l8VWNe6.png

Is that ... is that a dolphin?

If theres anyone that can pull off a potentially even greater game as a sequel to a game as masterful as The Last of Us its Naughty Dog with Neil and Bruce directing.

TLOU 2 will obviously come but I don't think we will see that for another few years, I seriously doubt Druckmann and Straley would allow other people lead such a project. I think there are quite obviously two other game and creative directors at ND than just Druckmann and Straley, that are working on a new IP.

So I gather that this game will probably be announced at E3 2016, for an announced release date of Fall 2017
only to be delayed to Summer 2018.

And then a new IP in 2021 to finish off the PS4 generation TLoU style kinda like last gen. What do you guys think? A fair prediction?

There's simply no way a sequel or spin-off would be as good as the original, so I hope it never happens.

Would buy the hell out of it though.

Ishan

I don't see this being made without druckmannn and Bruce . From that nd listig that was 2014 assume they were prototyping then but then shifted to uc4 after Jennings departure . Assuming 3 year gaps for each project that team works on I don't expect it before 2018 late/2019 . If anything I expect a new ip after uc4 in 2018 end and tlou to close out the generation 2020

Gator86

Just adding one more for "No Joel and Ellie but otherwise I'm in" party. I'd love to see another game in the Last of Us universe. They could tell a million stories with that background and setting. They just have to avoid all the bad writing cliches. I don't want to bump into young Tess or old Ellie. None of that idiotic bullshit. Just a new adventure with all new characters. Don't fuck this up, Naughty Dog. They're my most respected developer and I'm still pretty nervous they're gonna fuck this up.

Roldan

You know, Ellie... we really are the last of us

I'd love to see a sequel, but I guess I would like more if it was another story with another characters

Hoje0308

Banned
To be honest, I appreciated the fact that TLoU, especially when compared to Uncharted, had quite a few open levels that you could approach in a non-linear fashion, so I was glad to see Uncharted 4 take inspiration from that.

Yep, it'll be great to see what can be done when ND are less constrained by hardware.

These were my predictions for a sequel if it ever happened:

A few years have passed, the world has gotton worse with no sign of a cure. Ellie finds out/realizes what Joel really did. She then takes her own trip to offer herself to save humanity. Joel tries to track her down, and you play both characters throughout the story. Ends with Ellie sacrificing herself and joel committing suicide cause he couldn't stop her

The world really can't get much worse than it already is

Ellie knows Joel lied

I doubt ND is going to have a game that basically ruins the ending of the first, which many interpreted in different ways. If it's a sequel it's going to be either far into the future with Ellie being alive and Joel dead from some other cause, or a new set of characters

Any ways, Nolan seems to be in no fucks mode at this thing. Dude dropped bombs about Amy leaving, how much of her work was dumped, and now has confirmed the existence of The Last of Us 2.

Now while we kinda knew this was happening, it's odd to see a dude who has worked with ND so much kinda let the cat out of the bag so early and with such little care.

I doubt theyll have new characters for the sequel. Ellie was well received and im pretty confident that ND will try to make her a protagonist. Plus i want to see her grow into a badass.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
There's no way of knowing if she believed him or not.

Actually, Neil said that
Ellie was pretty good at detecting BS from people. Not to mention Ashley Johnson (the actress who played Ellie) was pretty sure she got the lie, and of course the epilogue they made when they did that live show, where if I'm not wrong (I can't remember well, somebody correct me if I'm wrong) they talked about how Ellie was trying to live knowing Joel's lie.

It all points that she knew and choose to stick with him.

Gray Matter

The world really can't get much worse than it already is

Ellie knows Joel lied

I doubt ND is going to have a game that basically ruins the ending of the first, which many interpreted in different ways. If it's a sequel it's going to be either far into the future with Ellie being alive and Joel dead from some other cause, or a new set of characters

Any ways, Nolan seems to be in no fucks mode at this thing. Dude dropped bombs about Amy leaving, how much of her work was dumped, and now has confirmed the existence of The Last of Us 2.

Now while we kinda knew this was happening, it's odd to see a dude who has worked with ND so much kinda let the cat out of the bag so early and with such little care.

What are they gonna do, replace him?

TLOU 2 is an obvious financial-must. They would never, ever pass on the chance to build off of the first game's success.

The key to not ruining it is to make it about an older Ellie, maybe in her 30's. Joel is gone. Maybe we see him in flashback game sequences that serve the new narrative elegantly. Largely though, it's a new game that explores the themes and consequences of the first one.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
What are they gonna do, replace him?

It has more to do with the fact that it's clear that ND loves the guy, and Nolan just spilling the beans without caring what the guys and gals of ND might think.

But what I do know, anyway, I liked the details he gave.

Top Bottom