• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura Interview - Kingdom Hearts 2.8 & 3

Exentryk

The HD3 Packaging has a meaning in “Sora (written with katakana)” and “Sora (written with the kanji for “sky”)”!

--You presented the release date for [Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue (hereon, KH2.8)] at the September SIE press conference, right?

Nomura: We sincerely apologize for prolonging the release date from December 2016 to January 2017. We wrote it in the comments on the official Twitter, but due to several titles that are coming out one on top of another, this is what it's become.

--You also revealed a gorgeous package art.

Nomura: There are actually two secrets about the illustrations from [KH1.5] until [KH2.8]. Extremely attentive KH fans might have already discovered them, but one is that Sora's movements change from sitting, to standing, to walking. One more is that when you line up the three illustrations, you'll notice that they show the flow of time with changes in the sky. [KH1.5] is sunset becoming night, [KH2.5] is the middle of the night, and [KH2.8] is night breaking into dawn. Those three illustrations have a message regarding the final chapter, [KHIII].

--So you planned all this from the time of [KH1.5]'s release, then?

Nomura: We worried a long time about the package art for [KH2.5], and we worked on trying to connect the three productions in a continual manner. It seems like there were a lot of people who figured out Sora's movements, but there were not very many people who noticed the connection between the skies. There are two meanings to “sora” (I.E. one being the protagonist's name, and the other meaning “sky”).

[...]

--We got a taste of the evolution of action on the PS4 with [KH0.2] at TGS, but will [KHIII] see an even deeper improvement of action from there?

Nomura: That's what will happen. Since there is an overwhelmingly large amount of things one can do while playing as Sora in [KHIII] timewise, compared to playing as Aqua. Aqua cannot change her keyblade as the story progresses, but Sora can, and that will in result change the action.

--The exploration and battles in the latest PV, are those the developments that came after crossing the bridge in the TGS trial play?

Nomura: Yes. Like what you were able to play in the trial, there is a map waiting up ahead with more added to it. The Osaka production team cleverly placed it as an object, and they're good at making maps with areas outside one's exploration.

[...]

-- Since they serve as a road to [KHIII], you really can't overlook any of the productions included in [KH2.8].

Nomura: Even among players, there seemed to be some people who were just now hearing about [KH2.8] at the Game Show and seemed troubled, but please, we'd like you to play [KH2.8]. Since it is a prologue to [KHIII], just as it says in the title, you'll need to play to smoothly enjoy [KHIII]!

[...]

--By the way, will [KH2.8] be supported on the PS4 Pro, too?

Nomura: It supports 4K, so it should cleanly play without any problems. Anything else detailed about support, we will showcase next time.

--Also, when will you be presenting more interesting news on [KHIII]?

Nomura: We spoke of this a bit at E3, but we are waiting to speak more about [KHIII] after releasing [KH2.8], so we have currently released all available information. Please wait shortly for new news.

--Since 2017 is the [KH] series' 15th anniversary, we're hoping for a lot of developments!

Nomura: We are thinking of a lot of plans heading toward the 15th anniversary. Next year's January release of [KH2.8] will be the start, and from March the full orchestra's world tour will commence. It will be a year's worth of non-stop [KH] news, so we look forward to speaking with you again.

Via KH13.com. More at the link.

Prompto

Banned
Nomura: We spoke of this a bit at E3, but we are waiting to speak more about [KHIII] after releasing [KH2.8], so we have currently released all available information. Please wait shortly for new news.
Guess no KH3 at PSX or Jump Festa. Wonder if they will do a reveal event similar to FFXV next year.

LordofPwn

If no KH3 next year, it would be nice to get 1.5 and 2.5 for PS4. Would gladly buy them again so I can retire my PS3 for good.

Mikey Jr.

If no KH3 next year, it would be nice to get 1.5 and 2.5 for PS4. Would gladly buy them again so I can retire my PS3 for good.

I'd love to get 1.5 and promptly never play KH1 or COM ever again. I can't play that for the 4th time. I'm done with those games, haha.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Nomura: We sincerely apologize for prolonging the release date from December 2016 to January 2017. We wrote it in the comments on the official Twitter, but due to several titles that are coming out one on top of another, this is what it's become.

The game is releasing the same time as RE7, Tales of Berseria, Yakuza 0 (West), and Gravity Rush 2...

Crossing fingers for KHIII in September 2017. We shall see...

Probably getting a PS4 compilation of the three collections first, though. Which would be nice.

The game is releasing the same time as RE7, Tales of Berseria, Yakuza 0 (West), and Gravity Rush 2...

He's almost definitely referring to FFXV here.

Ray Down

Banned
Crossing fingers for KHIII in September 2017. We shall see...

Probably getting a PS4 compilation of the three collections first, though. Which would be nice.

He's almost definitely referring to FFXV here.

That will be the 2017 KH game!

KH anniversary extends itself like DQ did with DQXI.

NateDog

I never noticed the box art continuation at all heh. Realistically I don't know what to think of KHIII, very hard to see it being out next year at this stage though.

kenji

Nomura: There are actually two secrets about the illustrations from [KH1.5] until [KH2.8]. Extremely attentive KH fans might have already discovered them, but one is that Sora's movements change from sitting, to standing, to walking. One more is that when you line up the three illustrations, you'll notice that they show the flow of time with changes in the sky. [KH1.5] is sunset becoming night, [KH2.5] is the middle of the night, and [KH2.8] is night breaking into dawn. Those three illustrations have a message regarding the final chapter, [KHIII].
oh, Nomura..

sphinx

the piano man
I bet it will happen around holiday next year to celebrate the anniversary, because there's no way KH3 is anywhere near done.

this.

they just got done with FFXV and probably need a month break to not go insane after all these years.

Unless the media start pouring in between now and March 2017, I don't see KH3 on shelves until 2018.

big SE games take time, we should all know by now.

13ruce

Banned
I really hope Kingdom Hearts 3 releases around 2017 somewhere.... Having both Zelda and Kingdom Hearts 3 in one year would make me so happy. Anyway being realistic i expect early 2018:(

RocknRola

I really like the progression of the HD Collections box art. It's a really nice touch.

I never noticed the box art continuation at all heh. Realistically I don't know what to think of KHIII, very hard to see it being out next year at this stage though.

I never noticed the cover art pattern before. That's actually kind of neat.

Yup. Only noticed it now, when searching for them. Nice touch.

Kingdom-Hearts-HD-1.5-ReMix-Cover.jpeg

Bsu6WtrCIAAg3as.jpg

44x4XIw.jpg

PS: The art for each cover is amazing, though my favourite is still 2.5. Looks awesome.

Yup. Only noticed it now, when searching for them. Nice touch.

PS: The art for each cover is amazing, though my favourite is still 2.5. Looks awesome.

I'm confused. What is the progression you guys are talking about?

Also who the hell are those masked people on the top right corner of the 2.8 collection? I've played all the KH and don't remember them.

Also who the hell are those masked people on the top right corner of the 2.8 collection? I've played all the KH and don't remember them.
The time of day depicted on the top of the covers change. 1.5 is from sunset to night, 2.5 is at night, and 2.8 transitions from night to dawn. Sora also goes from sitting on the 1.5 art, to standing in 2.5, to walking forward for 2.8.

The one's in the animal masks are the Foretellers. They are the focus of X Back Cover and their story predates the Keyblade War that Master Xehanort wants to recreate. The two in the hoods are the 6th Foreteller and their Master, the apparent antagonists of their story

You can get the story from the perspective of the Keyblade Warriors by playing Unchained X on mobile devices, if you so wish. You choose a faction to belong to, and each 5 of the figures there have their own faction. You are guided by a small cat-like creature named Chirithy and you go to worlds such as Dwarf Woodlands and Beasts Castle to battle the Heartless.

The time of day changing.

Sora and Xehanort.

Lol I knew that mean the ones in the animal mask.

The time of day depicted on the top of the covers change. 1.5 is from sunset to night, 2.5 is at night, and 2.8 transitions from night to dawn. Sora also goes from sitting on the 1.5 art, to standing in 2.5, to walking forward for 2.8.

Ah thanks didn't notice that.

The one's in the animal masks are the Foretellers. They are the focus of X Back Cover and their story predates the Keyblade War that Master Xehanort wants to recreate. The two in the hoods are the 6th Foreteller and their Master, the apparent antagonists of their story

You can get the story from the perspective of the Keyblade Warriors by playing Unchained X on mobile devices, if you so wish. You choose a faction to belong to, and each 5 of the figures there have their own faction. You are guided by a small cat-like creature named Chirithy and you go to worlds such as Dwarf Woodlands and Beasts Castle to battle the Heartless.

Ah I see. Completetly forgot about the mobile game. Didn't think it would have any relevent story content but I should've known better is it any good?

Didn't think it would have any relevent story content
Surprise!

but I should've known better is it any good?
It's alright. It's not as forgiving as the Japanese version, which is more fair with free jewel handouts and medals, but if you just go in for the story then you'll get all the relevant plot, such as who Ephemer is, what Chirithy is, a sense of conflict between the Foretellers etc.

It takes about 100 quests for the story to start moving, then ramps up after the 200th quest.

Currently there are 475 quests and they're on a bit of a hiatus until January so if you wanted to take your time to catch up then I guess now is a good time to jump in.

Edit: Seems they started the story again tonight!

Top Bottom