• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura Promises Highly Requested Game Announcement In 2010, Expects "Huge Reaction"

Ferrio said:
A new IP that doesn't suck? That'd get a huge reaction from me if it came from square.
They already did that. It released last year (2 years ago in Japan):
The_World_Ends_With_You.jpg

Ferrio

Banned
flabberghastly said:
They already did that. It released last year (2 years ago in Japan):
The_World_Ends_With_You.jpg

Well that's goodand all and I agree it's a great game. Except that's been the only one that I've come across and it was 2 years ago.

dramatis

I think someone probably already mentioned it, but I wonder if it really could be FFXV.

The only thing I can think of that will garner a "Huge Reaction" (as in 500 error huge) is another numbered, mainline FF. It may seem intensely early, but I'm pretty sure SE bigwigs are willing to give Nomura a number for his belt.

Maybe it's just me though, because I remember back in 2006, before XII even released in NA, my friend asked me what I expected to see at E3 and I said XIII. Surprisingly enough, it showed.

Best option is a new IP, but that seems unlikely.

dramatis said:
I think someone probably already mentioned it, but I wonder if it really could be FFXV.

The only thing I can think of that will garner a "Huge Reaction" (as in 500 error huge) is another numbered, mainline FF. It may seem intensely early, but I'm pretty sure SE bigwigs are willing to give Nomura a number for his belt.

Maybe it's just me though, because I remember back in 2006, before XII even released in NA, my friend asked me what I expected to see at E3 and I said XIII. Surprisingly enough, it showed.

Why would FFXV be highly requested? Everyone knows it's coming at some point, no one cares.
If the quote in the OP is real and is a correct translation there's only one thing it really implies.

Vamphuntr

dramatis said:

I can't be a new IP according to the OP.

RPGland said:
Nomura declines to answer directly, saying that he can’t yet say the name, but it’s a yet-unannounced game that many people are currently anticipating and that he’s received personal requests about. He foresees a huge reaction to its revelation

Why people would be anticipating a new IP that nobody know of it's existence? And hell why would he gets personal request about it.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
The World Ends With Nomura

aka

It's a Zipper World

the main character's Neku's son and is named Shoulda.

2010 release

believe

Amir0x

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
I mean it would look stupid. "Let's jump in the big tubes and go to the haunted house! Weeeeeeeee!". Or climbing the freezing mountain and hiding in the caves to warm yourself up, etc. But maybe it's just me.

hehe, now that you mention it... some of those things would seem pretty corny with the Advent Children style they're sure to use.

Still, I don't think the game would be a big loss with some of those lamer aspects changed :p

Ganondorfo

FINAL FANTASY 1 REMAKE FOR THE PS3 WITH THE FINAL FANTASY 13 ENGINE.

Because final fantasy 1 is everything what final fantasy is all about.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
But I'd prefer a sequel. I mean, imagine getting that nostalgia FFVII-feeling, if they do a lot of parallels with the story, and try to imitate the game's structure: start the game in that Edge city or whatever it was called, like you started in Midgar in FFVII, escape with vehicles out of the city while getting chased, now you end up traveling through the overworld with your vehicle, arrive at Kalm, and the story moves on from there.

Just replaying FFVII again would suck, we all played it many times, and it would only be an opportunity for them to fuck things up and get fans to complain that they changed this or that or whatever.

I'd be more likely to get a nice FFVII nostalgic feel from a sequel that tries to actually feel like FFVII did, even with a new protagonist, than a remake.

But I'm getting the sad impression it will be a remake. If that's the case, they will definitly change it so much it will be a big hit or a big crap fest. It's going to be Star Wars prequels or special edition-stupid (Han shooting first-level).

BlazingDarkness said:
Why would FFXV be highly requested? Everyone knows it's coming at some point, no one cares.

Err, not true. And yes, there would be a huge reaction to a true (single-player) main-line Final Fantasy game being announced at this point in time.

Not that it's going to happen.

Ganondorfo

A chrono trigger remake for the ps3 with the final fantasy 13 engine, the world and internet would explode.

Imagine frogs theme in orchestra by mitsuda.

Ganondorfo said:
A chrono trigger remake for the ps3 with the final fantasy 13 engine, the world and internet would explode.

Imagine frogs theme in orchestra by mitsuda.
How about a new game? Chrono Trigger is fine as it is.

And I wonder if 3D could do it justice, I mean, it's toryama 2D pixel art we're talking about here, it could end up being very awkward.

I say give the Chrono licence to Monolith Soft and get Mitsuda and Masato Kato on board and it's done.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Ganondorfo said:

Imagine Corridors of Time in orchestra by mitsuda.
Fixed for the awesomest justice T_T

lostinblue said:
How about a new game? Chrono Trigger is fine as it is.

And I wonder if 3D could do it justice, I mean, it's toryama 2D pixel art we're talking about here, it could end up being very awkward.
CTR had shit locked down. FFXIII engine is nice, but only if it is in that style. Also, I'd like an enhanced remake. With like 88 extra quests and 48 extra endings

Haunted

Surely some S-E fanboy here knows what the creative force behind TWEWY (Kando, Hasegawa and Arakawa) are working on right now? If it's another new IP, it would immediately become my most anticipated game from S-E.

Probably just Kingdom Hearts III, though. :/

BlazingDarkness said:
If the quote in the OP is real and is a correct translation there's only one thing it really implies.
Both FFVIIr or KHIII fit the bill.

Spiegel

BlazingDarkness said:
Seems like a good battle system
Sounds like an FF game for PSP

It could be the battle system for Agito XIII though?
It's changed loads since they last made it public i think

That's what I'm thinking.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Oh actually like I said a while ago, it would be MUCH more likely that if a FFVII remake is made, it would be on PSP. I don't expect them to dedicate enough resources for a PS360 FFVIIR.

And yeah that combat system thing doesn't look like something that would fit with FFVII or KH.

I don't think Nomura has a lot to do with Agito.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Oh actually like I said a while ago, it would be MUCH more likely that if a FFVII remake is made, it would be on PSP. I don't expect them to dedicate enough resources for a PS360 FFVIIR..

Zero chance of that happening. PSP is an almost-dead console. If they do a remake, they're going to go all out.

Vamphuntr

yes we can said:
Has anyone seen this? It's a patent filed by SE with Nomura as the inventor. Posting the link because I Have to jam.

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/12/28/is-this-one-of-tetsuya-nomuras-unannounced-games/

Hmmm this new system let you switch to other temporary characters in real time. When time runs out you switch out to your main characters but you inherit some abilities from the switch. Please don't be what I think :( You know how a valkyrie can control the souls of brave warriors... No way tri-ace gonna let Nomura near VP right?

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
On a more serious note, maybe Square will release a new, standalone Triple Triad game. That would certainly get people talking. Well, me anyway.

omg rite said:
Zero chance of that happening. PSP is an almost-dead console.

Not in Japan. In Japan, this would sell a million or two copies.

If they do a remake, they're going to go all out.

Maybe. The return on investment developing for a hand-held might even be higher than an "all-out" console version. On the other hand, might as well do it on DS, then.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
omg rite said:
Zero chance of that happening. PSP is an almost-dead console. If they do a remake, they're going to go all out.

Then Agito would not have been sent to PSP.

And we don't know what PSP2 will be like, it may have backward compatibility, or who knows what. It wouldn't stop SE anyway. CC was a success, FFVIIR would be a bigger success.

There is NO WAY that a FFVIIR on PS360 wouldn't be a big risk. This isn't 1999, a lot of people who bought FFVII never bought another FF.

Ether_Snake said:
Oh actually like I said a while ago, it would be MUCH more likely that if a FFVII remake is made, it would be on PSP. I don't expect them to dedicate enough resources for a PS360 FFVIIR.

And yeah that combat system thing doesn't look like something that would fit with FFVII or KH.

I don't think Nomura has a lot to do with Agito.
Nah a portable remake would just mean years more of fan requests for a console remake

Amir0x

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
But I'd prefer a sequel. I mean, imagine getting that nostalgia FFVII-feeling, if they do a lot of parallels with the story, and try to imitate the game's structure: start the game in that Edge city or whatever it was called, like you started in Midgar in FFVII, escape with vehicles out of the city while getting chased, now you end up traveling through the overworld with your vehicle, arrive at Kalm, and the story moves on from there.

I mean, if this was Squaresoft of a decade ago, I'd say sure, but again... I have literally less than zero percent confidence they'd be able to create anything approaching a quality product with a true FFVII sequel, ala FFVII-2. Advent Children, Crisis Core, Before Crisis and Dirge of Cerberus were all unmitigated disasters, gameplay and story wise. If you trust them to create a direct sequel with everything all new, that's cool, but I personally would rather them just build on a foundation of something we are sure will be, at the very least, competent.

Ether_Snake said:
Just replaying FFVII again would suck, we all played it many times, and it would only be an opportunity for them to fuck things up and get fans to complain that they changed this or that or whatever.

It wouldn't be replaying FFVII, it'd be an entirely new experience with the new visuals and presumably new gameplay content and whatnot. That's more than enough for me, of course, but for those in the "graphix dont matter who cares hurr hurr" contingent, obviously, mileage may vary.

Ether_Snake said:
But I'm getting the sad impression it will be a remake. If that's the case, they will definitly change it so much it will be a big hit or a big crap fest. It's going to be Star Wars prequels or special edition-stupid (Han shooting first-level).

I think it will sell a billion copies and fans will be angry, like they are about everything. But frankly it's fans that demanded FFVII be continued forever, and what we got was... ugh

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
if it struck the balance of old and new that something like R.E.MAKE did, that'd be something special.

^ understatement

Amir0x said:
It wouldn't be replaying FFVII, it'd be an entirely new experience with the new visuals and presumably new gameplay content and whatnot.

Well, not really. When you know the plot before-hand, that kills a lot (not all) of the joy of playing that game. It IS rather depressing to play a game for the 6th time, and that effect would carry over to this due to it being the same story. At least to me. I mean, those weird flashes of light and those WTF-inducing interactions between Tifa and Cloud in the first half of the game -- those would no longer be mysterious or WTF-inducing. It'd be comfortable but somewhat boring and a little sad.

That's more than enough for me, of course, but for those in the "graphix dont matter who cares hurr hurr" contingent, obviously, mileage may vary.

It's not enough for me; I want great games that are new. I mean, I'll take what I can get. I'd still buy an HD FF VII remake, but it would be a bitter-sweet experience for sure. And graphics do matter to me, a lot, which is why this remake would be better than nothing. But I'd still rather they put their talent and money into a new game. And they do have a limited amount of both talent and money, so if it goes into VIIr, then it's not going to go into <alternative high-budget project>.

And yes, your point that they haven't made a single excellent next-gen RPG isn't lost on me. I'm fully aware that if FF XIII is as bleh as it now sounds, the chances of the next real FF being great are pretty low. I'll still take that risk against playing through the same story for the 6th time.

But that's me.

Amir0x

Banned
RedRedSuit said:
Well, not really. When you know the plot before-hand, that kills a lot (not all) of the joy of playing that game. It IS rather depressing to play a game for the 6th time, and that effect would carry over to this due to it being the same story. At least to me.

Knowing the plot before going into a Final Fantasy game is a blessing if you ask me. Easier not to get hung up on it when it sucks as usual.

RedRedSuit said:
And yes, your point that they haven't made a single excellent next-gen RPG isn't lost on me. I'm fully aware that if FF XIII is as bleh as it now sounds, the chances of the next real FF being great are pretty low. I'll still take that risk against playing through the same story for the 6th time.

But that's me.

Yeah, I won't take that risk. They had four chances, how many more risks do you want to take ;)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
everyone knows the world (and soundtrack) of FFVIII is the most deserving of a return.

Amir0x said:
Knowing the plot before going into a Final Fantasy game is a blessing if you ask me. Easier not to get hung up on it when it sucks as usual.

Well then, you and I are at different starting points. I loved the story in VII.

Yeah, I won't take that risk. They had four chances, how many more risks do you want to take ;)

Me? As many as it takes. Risk is the only way to reward. Besides, I really, really liked XII (aside from... yes... the story, which was good when it was present but felt incomplete).

RedRedSuit said:
Well, not really. When you know the plot before-hand, that kills a lot (not all) of the joy of playing that game. It IS rather depressing to play a game for the 6th time, and that effect would carry over to this due to it being the same story. At least to me.

I have to agree with this.

Although a remake of any older FF game would be awesome in principle, (popular) RPGs are probably the worst genre for identical remakes as they rely heavy on story.
In other words: I would take a new FF (or similar) game over any FF remake any day.

Amir0x said:
hehe, now that you mention it... some of those things would seem pretty corny with the Advent Children style they're sure to use.

Still, I don't think the game would be a big loss with some of those lamer aspects changed :p

This is why we can't have nice things! I don't care if the game is photorealism, I want all the minigames and fun things like warmer yourself on the mountain!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i miss the goofy cartoony shit in FINAL FANTASY, like characters' eyes bugging out and hopping around when they get surprised.

fallagin

Ether_Snake said:
I mean it would look stupid. "Let's jump in the big tubes and go to the haunted house! Weeeeeeeee!". Or climbing the freezing mountain and hiding in the caves to warm yourself up, etc. But maybe it's just me.

Its wierd, but I did not expect the game to be this light hearted. Some parts were pretty sad and dramatic, but alot of the story and dialogue was as happy as can be, and the mini games were fun and silly. I have to say that before I played it I expected a pretty somber experience with a dash of angst here and there. I also expected the entire game to take place in Midgar too for some reason.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
BlazingDarkness said:
Seems like a good battle system
Sounds like an FF game for PSP

It could be the battle system for Agito XIII though? It's changed loads since they last made it public i think

Seems like it might be for Agito XIII.

Enk

makes good threads.
Having just played through it, I wouldn't mind an elaborate Final Fantasy V remake. Add more classes, flesh out the story a bit more, improve on the combat system. Would love to see one of the old style Crystal series done new and not be an MMO.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Amir0x said:
I mean, if this was Squaresoft of a decade ago, I'd say sure, but again... I have literally less than zero percent confidence they'd be able to create anything approaching a quality product with a true FFVII sequel, ala FFVII-2. Advent Children, Crisis Core, Before Crisis and Dirge of Cerberus were all unmitigated disasters, gameplay and story wise. If you trust them to create a direct sequel with everything all new, that's cool, but I personally would rather them just build on a foundation of something we are sure will be, at the very least, competent.

It wouldn't be replaying FFVII, it'd be an entirely new experience with the new visuals and presumably new gameplay content and whatnot. That's more than enough for me, of course, but for those in the "graphix dont matter who cares hurr hurr" contingent, obviously, mileage may vary.

I think it will sell a billion copies and fans will be angry, like they are about everything. But frankly it's fans that demanded FFVII be continued forever, and what we got was... ugh

Ok then I'm making a prediction.

This game Nomura is speaking of...

will be a FFVII sequel...

with...

Hironobu Sakaguchi back at the helm.

All the signs have been pointing to this (his appearance in KH, his secret project he has been working on since FFVII... and his recent meeting with old time Squaresoft buddies).

:D

Would LOVE!!!!

Final Fantasy 6 remake - Wii
The World End With You - Wii
Final Fantasy 7 remake - PS3
Chrono Trigger 2 HD - XBLA/PSN
XenoGears 2 or remake - PS3
Brave Fencer Musashi 2 - XBLA/PS3/WiiWare

Generation complete

Top Bottom