• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura Securities: NX will be unveiled in June and released October-November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalman

Waiting this long to send dev kits is a bad idea. Heck, even waiting until E3 to reveal the system is a bad idea (assuming it'll be out this year). They need to move fast.

Oregano

It doesn't sound too good but let's be honest no (western) third party is going to develop an ambitious game which uses the devices capabilities anyway. It'll be slapdash ports at best regardless of when they get dev kits.

It's also really easy to say you're interested in developing software for it but it doesn't mean it'll materialise. Look at Arkam's talk about his old studio, those dev kits gathered dust under a desk.

Edit: or how about Ken Levine's interest in the Wii U? Or for a JP example Yoshinoro Ono?

As I've said in other threads, I fully expect Nintendo to reveal this system, or at least tell us what it is in a Direct (not that I necessarily agree with that, but it is what it is). Given their investors meeting is on February 2nd, maybe next month is the time. Forgive me if I'm remembering incorrectly, but don't we usually get a pretty major direct in mid February? (save for last year).

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
this time, there isn't really a risk that the competition copy them if the idea is brilliant and industry-shattering. For the Wii U, Sony and Microsoft could have tried to rip them off and include something similar, one year a later. Now, at the early life span of Xbone & PS4, the best they can do is releasing an add-on à la kinect & ps move/camera/whatever, with the results we know.

so the fear of the competition copying them shouldn't be the first factor in play, unless they consider apple, htc & samsung as competitors as well?

I guess the prime factors are: they need to be ready for NX + they want to save the face by not totally and suddenly dropping off the Wii U and ensuring its last titles benefit from some momentum (starfox, etc?).

Just pure speculation.

Neoxon

As I've said in other threads, I fully expect Nintendo to reveal this system, or at least tell us what it is in a Direct (not that I necessarily agree with that, but it is what it is). Given their investors meeting is on February 2nd, maybe next month is the time. Forgive me if I'm remembering incorrectly, but don't we usually get a pretty major direct in mid February? (save for last year).
We usually get big Directs in January. In fact, we may very well be due for a January Direct this year.

finalflame

Gold Member
the answer is in the message. big, western, studio, not a sub-studio or a subset of a sub-studio, etc. Other source is the same kind.

The issue is when you say a "studio" does not have it, that usually means one group of people working on games in a specific location. Assuming this knowledge comes from either you being or knowing an insider, this person would have to be pretty high up to know what ALL the studios for a big western developer are doing.

Let's take Ubisoft for example. Say your insider works at Ubi. Say you know someone working at Ubi SF. How would they also know what's going on at:

- Ubisoft Montpellier
- Ubisoft Pune
- Ubisoft Quebec
- Ubisoft Paris
- Ubisoft Toronto
- etc.

Or, let's assume EA. They could work at EA Redwood Shores (Visceral). But how would they know what's going on at:

- EA Bioware
- Criterion
- EA Digital Illusions CE (DICE) LA/Sweden
- EA Maxis
- EA Sports
- etc.

So this is the point. Unless you or your insider work at a very high position that has knowledge of what every major studio under the developer is working on, it seems like a moot "tip". A studio you or your "friend" work at might not have an NX dev kit because they're simply not assigned to make an NX game. Game companies are VERY secretive, even internally.

Rodin

honestly, i think my sources would have said "we don't have dev kit but we have started developing on it". For Wii U, they got some kind of spec breakdown, like the targeted capabilities, they were aware of that. Here, it's not the case. So i'm worried.

Because it means if the NX concept is so cool, Nintendo couldn't have the luxury to avoid third-party who have shown creativity as well.

Many more speculations to have, like the concept is so forward-thinking and they are wary of leaks, that they intent on going solo most of the road before a full-blown/mind-blowing announce like the surprising Shoshinkai for Nintendo 64 (first time we saw N64 controller, isn't it? and Mario 64).
I see, and it makes sense, but maybe there's still the chance that since they apparently never talked with Nintendo, they didn't know they could start development on Wii U and then make an easy port for the new platform. In fact i'm not sure this is something Nintendo would recommend anyway, as it still takes work and adjustments to port a game on a different platform with a different CPU (it's unlikely that they'll use PPC again) and possibly a somewhat different RAM subsystem.

I mean, starting a game for a platform and then porting the code for a different one should still be different than making a game from the scratch directly for a certain console, no matter how easy the port is. Maybe someone who knows more about this process can correct me.

That being said, what you said doesn't sound good anyway but it also isn't that surprising. Let us know if there are developments about this.

It's also really easy to say you're interested in developing software for it but it doesn't mean it'll materialise. Look at Arkam's talk about his old studio, those dev kits gathered dust under a desk.

Edit: or how about Ken Levine's interest in the Wii U? Or for a JP example Yoshinoro Ono?
This too.

The Giant

Banned

I'm expecting a direct within the next week or two. Simply because Zelda TP HD is out in less than 8 weeks and the game needs to reveal alot of info.

If the new consoles have the shared OS platform where you can play from home and handheld consoles than Nintendo could manage the first year by themselves specially with how quiet some of their own devs have been.

After a year or so of sales than others might look over the fence and jump into it and join the NX party.

Neoxon

If the new consoles have the shared OS platform where you can play from home and handheld consoles than Nintendo could manage the first year by themselves specially with how quiet some of their own devs have been.

After a year or so of sales than others might look over the fence and jump into it and join the NX party.
That's what I've been saying. So yes, I agree that this could be the case. Plus it gives Nintendo time to prove to third parties that the NX Platform can be a profitable one for third parties. Or at the very least, they can get the wheels turning for more support later down the road.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If it starts as a mostly Nintendo platform then it must be cheap to be successful. Which then raise the question of how easy would it be to port to it in the long run.

TheJoRu

To be quite honest, I'm starting to change my mind about this being a 2016-product. As of right now I'm thinking:

• Releases in spring 2017.
  • The NX is more unique than we are expecting.
  • Zelda is still 2016 and Wii U-only. When we learn more about the NX we will understand why it isn't coming to it (because it's so different).

To be quite honest, I'm starting to change my mind about this being a 2016-product. As of right now I'm thinking:

• Zelda is still 2016 and Wii U-only. When we learn more about the NX we will understand why it isn't coming to it (because it's so different).

That's also my impression. 2016 is Zelda and mobile. NX reveal at E3, NX Direct with more games in December, release in May 2017.

This schedule works best with all rumors and quotes but won't make shareholders happy.

Sadist

For about two years Directs were bi-monthly but with the passing of Iwata that changed. So here's hoping we'll get one next month.

Oregano

If it's different enough that Nintendo can't port a Wii U game to it then no third party is going to support it anyway.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
honestly, if this dev doesn't have a dev kit, it's extremely unlikely other western dev got it, might be different for japanese dev, considering the old-school-japanese-mindset of nintendo (keeping your assets close, yadda yadda)

the answer is in the message. big, western, studio, not a sub-studio or a subset of a sub-studio, etc. Other source is the same kind.

Western as in like Activision, EA, Ubisoft, etc, or the western arm of a Japanese one like Sega, Bandai Namco, etc? I assume the former since they fit "big western studio" more than the latter.

Sadist

Reading the comments here, the WSJ article stating that devkits were sent to developers in October meant Japanese developers only I guess.

We've had Foxconn leaks that firmly put NX as a 2016 product. If the system slips to 2017, it will be due to development issues as far as software is concerned.

They absolutely want it out in 2016 and Zelda U on it.
You don't want to waste the impact of...what is likely.... Nintendo's most expensive game ever and the prestigious "event"-effect of a mainline console Zelda on a failed system.

Only your opinion, many others, including myself, had sustained fun for months before the Wii U release, thanks to those threads, teases, speculations, etc. This is how it's done since the 80s, baby, you should have seen the endless speculation about the "Project Reality" then "Ultra 64", with several years of fantasies before concrete info. This is better than the actual launch for many of us, deal with it.

YEAH BABAY!

*Ahem*, on topic - I'm struggling to see how a major western developer without an SDK yet is a positive thing... if the time window for release is the tail end of this year, Nintendo are going to go out without some major 3rd party support... again.

IdeaMan, I like your 'shock and awe' concept - that they have something pretty special and thus are keeping it close and tight for a major reveal - but I'm not entirely convinced this is likely.

To me it seems like Nintendo are looking to provide an easy/quick development process - something they started with the Wii (similar architecture to GCN), continued with the Wii U (middleware tools and engine support such as Unity). I reckon they're working on a quicker pipeline to developing and porting games to the system, and whilst they perfect this (and refine the concept/technology), devs will have to wait.

*EDIT* Come on people, he's not gonna give any more clues about the studio. I think it's pretty easy to infer from what he's already said.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Reading the comments here, the WSJ article stating that devkits were sent to developers in October meant Japanese developers I guess.

I'd dare to say also some (selected) Western third party developers too. So far, we have infos about two big studios not getting NX dev kits yet (apparently; there's a remote chance they can't even talk about them due to more and tighter NDAs - which is a thing, btw - but let's stay with what we have here). As said by Arkam and victor.m, it's entirely plausible other studios of the same developer could've got the dev kit but they can't talk with other studios due to secretiveness between the studios as well.

Hopefully this is not bold, but I can't possibly see a scenario where NX launches with a worse Western-third-party lineup than, say, the original DS / 3DS (aside from Ubisoft)?

I can't see the Wii U living off Star Fox and Zelda for a whole year. What else could there possibly be?

I really hope it is 2016, all the leaks and signs point to it. I mean even of the Wii U and 3DS games we know are coming this year, most are Q1/Q2. After that, we'd have... zelda, and main series pokemon? Of course its possible they have unannounced stuff as well, or/and they're happy to leave the Wii U/3DS in a drought for the last year of their lives, but I doubt it.

Neoxon

The Wii U & 3DS can't survive for much longer, especially not the former.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Reading the comments here, the WSJ article stating that devkits were sent to developers in October meant Japanese developers only I guess.

i think so

I'd dare to say also some (selected) Western third party developers too. So far, we have infos about two big studios not getting NX dev kits yet (apparently; there's a remote chance they can't even talk about them due to more and tighter NDAs - which is a thing, btw - but let's stay with what we have here). As said by Arkam and victor.m, it's entirely plausible other studios of the same developer could've got the dev kit but they can't talk with other studios due to secretiveness between the studios as well.

very unlikely for one source.

Oregano

i think so

very unlikely for one source.

Well there's a number of factors:

Have they supported Nintendo in the past?
How likely are they to leak details?
How is their relationship currently?

I mean hypothetically if the studio was DICE it might make sense for them not to have dev kits because their sole contribution to the Wii U was to publicly deride it. Despite being a massive studio who might be "interested".

Neoxon

I am not the type of person to get super salty or dissapointed over anything, but you are right.
Same here, but it's more of a general point to the rest of this thread. From what I gathered from the old Wii U threads, the thing got hyped up to the goddamn sun. Granted, you can be hopeful, but don't go shooting for the stars in another galaxy.

Hermii

Same here, but it's more of a general point to the rest of this thread. From what I gathered from the old Wii U threads, the thing got hyped up to the goddamn sun. Granted, you can be hopeful, but don't go shooting for the stars in another galaxy.
15 tflop, 4 k 60 FPS in all games with ease, 200$, Half Life 3 exclusive.

doop_

Banned
All i want at the end of the day are amazing Nintendo games. If nintendo was to go thirdparty if the NX flopped it would make me super relieved knowing at least they can make games for the foreseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom