• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura Securities: NX will be unveiled in June and released October-November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokemaniac

Its either going to be a service, cartridge based console, or an all in one handheld with dock that lets you play the game on a TV and remove it to take it on the go, in my opinion.

The latter has been explicitly denied. The former is plausible, but we have evidence that NX will likely be a family of devices, not just a single one.

I'm hoping for at least some kind of hint. It's very interesting the direction Nintendo would after the mobile market eating up 3DS sales and the failure of the With U in terms of sales.

AdanVC

I visit this thread everytime I see it on the top page thinking that in any moment bill trinnen himself will appear and it will tell us everything about nx. I need to calm the f down.

Neoxon

TLZ

Banned
Well I guess 'mmh' should mean it's not that interesting after all, especially for someone who's a Nintendo fan. Probably thinks it's another gimmick like the Wii was and doesn't know how it'll end up.

jnWake

Oh boy here we go again.
*straps in tight*

yLhqRhd.gif

Just want to point out that he could be saying a June announcement would not match a third party publisher's schedule. They have to do their hype cycle too at some point.

I've speculated before that Nintendo would announce before the end of the fiscal year to allow third parties to announce/schedule their release slates for investors.

Yeah, they would to unveil way earlier to give third parties time to hype their games, mainly japanese third parties of course.

Fuchs

Do you feel the next Nintendo Direct will give us some details on the NX or there will be details in a couple Directs time?

I've got the feeling the next ND will mostly cover some smaller games that are going to come out in the first few month of the year. It will most definitely end with some kind of teaser/announcement for a special E3 event like last year.

RK128

After thinking about it, I feel the NX launch will be this (assuming the console releases first)
-Worldwide Launch in November 2016
-Priced at 199-250$ and have slightly better specs then the Wii U (middle-ground between X1 and Wii U but running on the X86 Architecture like the X1/PS4)
-Launch Line up consists of the following: Zelda Wii U Port, 3D Mario and Diddy Kong Racing 2. Other key launch games include Free-to-Play Amiibo Game (Wii Sports Team) and WarioWare Team Project
-Launch Window releases are the following: Smash NX Port, Xenoblade X Port, Mario Maker NX (New game using SMB2 and Yoshi's Island Assets), Animal Crossing NX, Mario Kart 9, and more
-JP 3rd Party supporting console day-one; Bandai-Namco releases SAO Hollow Realization and God Eater Collection, Sega releases 2016 Sonic titles, Square-Enix Releases Dragon Quest XI in Japan, Capcom Releases Monster Hunter X, ect
-Ubisoft and Activision only western publishers at launch; Ubisoft releases Just Dance 2016 and Rabbids game, while Activision releases TMNT, Call of Duty, and something else.

Edit: Other Nintendo moves would be this too.
-Pikmin 4 is a cross-gen title and releases as part of the NX launch too, but Wii U version comes out this summer. Last key Wii U game released other then Zelda (also cross-gen game).
-HD Remaster of some GC game releases this year alongside Twilight Princess HD; either Sunshine HD or Paper Mario TTYD HD.
-Sonic Anniversary title comes to Wii U and NX but both versions are made by the Colors Team (Colors, Lost World); different levels, assets and more due to different hardware compared to PS4/X1/PC. 2D Sonic also lands on NX this fall.
-NX is BC with Wii U, Wii and Nintendo VC line up
-NX Portable is BC with 3DS and DS line up

What we mean by integrating platforms is not integrating handhelds devices and home consoles to make only one machine.

What we are aiming at is to integrate the architecture to form a common basis for software development so that we can make software assets more transferrable, and operating systems and their build-in applications more portable, regardless of form factor or performance of each platform. They will also work to avoid software lineup shortages or software development delays which tend to happen just after the launch of new hardware.
- From Corporate Management Policy Briefing that Neoxon linked to.

Basically an Apple like ecosystem.

Kimawolf

I'Il put the handheld power level about the Wii U power

Stationary unit base power a bit below the XB1, but you can add SCDs to increase it.

launch price 199 handheld 299 console with a game, November or oct SCD cost like 100 per unit.

games- We'll get Mario, Zelda, something surprising no one expected, Sonic, COD, maybe, MAYBE a EA game. Something from Square as well.

I think the selling point will be in the "play these games anywhere", make your console as strong as you want to a point-. That'll be it.

AfroDust

- From Corporate Management Policy Briefing that Neoxon linked to.

Basically an Apple like ecosystem.

Thank you. This info needs to be propagated because I'm really tired of people assuming it's a hybrid when Iwata, rest his soul, explicitly stated that it wouldn't be.

Btw I was only a lurker in the WUST days so seeing IdeaMan again and being able to interact with him this time is pretty cool. What's happening bro. You're my wily French hero.

Thank you. This info needs to be propagated because I'm really tired of people assuming it's a hybrid when Iwata, rest his soul, explicitly stated that it wouldn't be.

Btw I was only a lurker in the WUST days so seeing IdeaMan again and being able to interact with him this time is pretty cool. What's happening bro. You're my wily French hero.

But also what I think this means is that the ecosystem will be have transferable architecture across multiple console/handheld generation; thus this upcoming system may have weaker system specs than expected, but, as with Apple's model, the next system will be iterative on the existing architecture giving more power to devs, but also retaining an already established software, very much analogous to they way apps work across iPhone/iPad generations.

Nintendo has been inspired Apple before (DS Lite and Wii), plus this is much more sustainable and a new approach to video games.

But It's just theory ... The system will probably be something more expected.

Terrell

Oh lovely....

Looks like this thread just got more interesting...
Nah, just more incomprehensible and boring to read.

I don't have an issue with IdeaMan, I really don't. What I do take issue with is the 90 pages of absurd bullshit his posts spawn that choke out any actual conversation that could be meaningfully had.

So how about we take the last few pages of this thread as a reminder of how that behaviour is part of the reason (if not the only reason) why we can't have speculation threads anymore and try not to shit the bed all over again, hmm?

PS4 was probably in development for 5-6 years at that point though right? NX is being rushed out after probably a couple of years development to this point. I wouldn't be surprised if they just aren't really ready for many third parties to take on projects with it.

Uhhh, Nintendo has been talking about the successor to the Wii U since the release of Mario Kart 8, in a reasonable amount of detail to lead one to believe they've had what they're planning pretty well mapped out since the Wii U hit the shelves.

Banned
Oh lovely....

Nah, just more incomprehensible and boring to read.

I don't have an issue with IdeaMan, I really don't. What I do take issue with is the 90 pages of absurd bullshit his posts spawn that choke out any actual conversation that could be meaningfully had.

So how about we take the last few pages of this thread as a reminder of how that behaviour is part of the reason (if not the only reason) why we can't have speculation threads anymore and try not to shit the bed all over again, hmm?

Uhhh, Nintendo has been talking about the successor to the Wii U since the release of Mario Kart 8, in a reasonable amount of detail to lead one to believe they've had what they're planning pretty well mapped out since the Wii U hit the shelves.
Actually Miyamoto said they actually already started working on Wii U's and 3DS's successor in 2012 and Iwata said in May 2014 that they already had a clear idea about what the Wii U successor was and that they usually start working on or brainstorming the successor right after.

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/06/1...king-on-3ds-successor-and-not-a-3ds-revision/

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/05/13/nintendo-already-has-clear-idea-about-wii-u-successor

It's possible that the NX has been in development since early 2013 and the idea to make it an Apple-like ecosystem with a shared library probably came around awhile ago.

Pokemaniac

Actually Miyamoto said they actually already started working on Wii U's and 3DS's successor in 2012 and Iwata said in May 2014 that they already had a clear idea about what the Wii U successor was and that they usually start working on or brainstorming the successor right after.

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/06/1...king-on-3ds-successor-and-not-a-3ds-revision/

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/05/13/nintendo-already-has-clear-idea-about-wii-u-successor

It's possible that the NX has been in development since early 2013 and the idea to make it an Apple-like ecosystem with a shared library probably came around awhile ago.

Nintendo's official line has always been that they start work on the next hardware the moment that they push the current hardware out the door. What's not as clear is when each piece of hardware they make starts to really take shape.

Do you feel the next Nintendo Direct will give us some details on the NX or there will be details in a couple Directs time?

Probably not. We'll have to wait until at least GDC for reliable rumors. Next direct, I think the best we can hope for is more concrete news on Zelda Wii U, assuming they want to get it out of the way to focus on an NX blowout at E3. If not, then don't even expect that.

AfroDust

But also what I think this means is that the ecosystem will be have transferable architecture across multiple console/handheld generation; thus this upcoming system may have weaker system specs than expected, but, as with Apple's model, the next system will be iterative on the existing architecture giving more power to devs, but also retaining an already established software, very much analogous to they way apps work across iPhone/iPad generations.

Nintendo has been inspired Apple before (DS Lite and Wii), plus this is much more sustainable and a new approach to video games.

But It's just theory ... The system will probably be something more expected.

I agree for the most part. I'm really looking forward to seeing how all this plays out, and exactly how much inspiration Nintendo takes from what Apple does.

Diffense

Probably not. We'll have to wait until at least GDC for reliable rumors. Next direct, I think the best we can hope for is more concrete news on Zelda Wii U, assuming they want to get it out of the way to focus on an NX blowout at E3. If not, then don't even expect that.

I feel like Zelda Wii U and NX details go hand in hand.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Depends on what NX is. If Zelda U makes major use of the game pad or the power difference is severe enough between the two systems, then it probably wouldn't make much sense to use Zelda as a cross-gen showpiece.

Regarding a big power increase: All of the footage I remember seeing of Zelda Wii U so far has been oddly low-res. I don't think it's the result of the streams either, since surrounding footage wasn't that way. If I'm right and not just imagining the blurriness, I'm guessing this means the game will be 720p/30fps on Wii U at best when it is released. I could see an NX version, assuming a big increase in power, running at 1080/30 (or 1080/60), cutting out all loading times, bumping up AA and AF, improving lighting and shadow quality, increasing draw distance, and maybe putting in high res textures where they are lower. Essentially turning up all the sliders from "low" to "high." As a precedent, I'm thinking of MH4U on n3DS compared to 3DS, but something even more dramatic. I'm not saying this will happen, but I think a big hardware bump does not mean Zelda Wii U will not end up on NX as a showpiece, as I think that the cel-shaded art style would really look nice with improved IQ. Plus, any hardware innovations that NX has might make the NX version "better" (though the opposite is also possible, depending on NX features and GamePad usage).

Hermii

Regarding a big power increase: All of the footage I remember seeing of Zelda Wii U so far has been oddly low-res. I don't think it's the result of the streams either, since surrounding footage wasn't that way. If I'm right and not just imagining the blurriness, I'm guessing this means the game will be 720p/30fps on Wii U at best when it is released. I could see an NX version, assuming a big increase in power, running at 1080/30 (or 1080/60), cutting out all loading times, bumping up AA and AF, improving lighting and shadow quality, increasing draw distance, and maybe putting in high res textures where they are lower. Essentially turning up all the sliders from "low" to "high." As a precedent, I'm thinking of MH4U on n3DS compared to 3DS, but something even more dramatic. I'm not saying this will happen, but I think a big hardware bump does not mean Zelda Wii U will not end up on NX as a showpiece, as I think that the cel-shaded art style would really look nice with improved IQ. Plus, any hardware innovations that NX has might make the NX version "better" (though the opposite is also possible, depending on NX features and GamePad usage).

It could be like Windwaker HD compared to the original.

Diffense

Depends on what NX is. If Zelda U makes major use of the game pad or the power difference is severe enough between the two systems, then it probably wouldn't make much sense to use Zelda as a cross-gen showpiece.

They flipped all of TP Wii for it to work with right-handed motion controls. IMO, if they really want Zelda on the NX they'll make it work even if it means delaying the game for a year from its intended release.

Zelda's Wii U version isn't coming before the end of the year because TP HD is scheduled for early 2016 and I don't think they're going to release two Zelda games very close. I just can't see a new console release coinciding with a new Zelda release exclusively for an effectively obsolete system.

What if they release according to region, and release the other later? Like nx handheld releases in Japan, and the nx console releases in the states. A shared operating system could easily make it work

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
They flipped all of TP Wii for it to work with right-handed motion controls. IMO, if they really want Zelda on the NX they'll make it work even if it means delaying the game for a year from its intended release.

Zelda's Wii U version isn't coming before the end of the year because TP HD is scheduled for early 2016 and I don't think they're going to release two Zelda games very close. I just can't see a new console release coinciding with a new Zelda release exclusively for an effectively obsolete system.

Yeah, I agree with this. If Zelda Wii U won't be ready until the holidays and if NX launches this holiday season, I can't see Zelda Wii U NOT being on NX. Otherwise, you'd have what is arguably the Wii U's biggest game competing with the launch. The attention would be split and the messaging would be confusing: "Stick around with your old console and play this game! Buy a new console and play different games!" If Zelda launches in the summer/early fall or if an NX that seems to be replacing the Wii U (e.g., a home console) is not launching this year, then sure, Zelda NX isn't inevitable. Otherwise, I can't think of any good way both Zelda Wii U and NX will both occupy November Nintendo Day without a port.

Nintendo should not (and likely will not) create their own competition against their system when they'll already be getting it from PS4/X1/whatever markets they're going to compete against. For success, Nintendo should unify all their energy and say: "This is the new Nintendo. It starts today."

What if they release according to region, and release the other later? Like nx handheld releases in Japan, and the nx console releases in the states. A shared operating system could easily make it work

This idea crossed my mind, since the different markets have different strengths and it would help with supply constraints. I think it's possible, depending on how the two form factors relate to each other.

LewieP

I think the only way that Zelda Wii U wouldn't get a native NX port would be if the NX home console has Wii U backwards compatibility (achieved via some kind of dynamic recompiling solution, rather than continued use of the PPC architecture).

Even if it does have full Wii U BC, I could see them doing a native/enhanced port.

Neoxon

I actually brought this idea up months ago, & I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo went with it.

Vena

Do people think it'll be more or less than the Wii U then? I seem to recall paying 349.99 for a Wii U with ZombieU. So I'm not sure if I want it higher or lower.

They'll likely try to price it around 299$ for the console SKU, helped along by AMDs current financial straights (even worse than they were when they signed the deals with Sony and Microsoft). Screens have, fortunately, gotten much cheaper now than when the WiiU/3DS launched, so they'll be able to get considerably lower builds on those components as well.

I've got the feeling the next ND will mostly cover some smaller games that are going to come out in the first few month of the year. It will most definitely end with some kind of teaser/announcement for a special E3 event like last year.

I think this is right as well. We still have star fox, pokken, bravely default, fire emblem, twilight princess HD, and then europe still hasn't received pokemon mystery dungeon.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
So (western) third parties are practically not considered into the schedule? No devkits yet or not enough time to be ready for Oct-Nov, maybe?

This would fit the earlier discussion.

one of the biggest western third-party dev doesn't have dev kit yet, and no info on when it will arrive. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom