• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura speaks on The 3rd Birthday, KH Re:Coded, and KH 3D (Famitsu)

duckroll

There's a long interview with Lord Nomura-sama in this week's Famitsu. His comments on Versus and Agito are already in another thread, so this one will cover what he has to say about The 3rd Birthday and the two upcoming Kingdom Hearts games on the DS and 3DS respectively:

The 3rd Birthday

- The game was moved from mobiles to the PSP because the scope and quality was too large for phones.
- Aya will use a different sort of power in this game, instead of the Parasite Energy featured in the original PE games.
- You can enter into battle with a sleeveless outfit, but the defense will be really low.
- The game is an action RPG.
- Nomura understands that there are high expectations of a shower scene based on the history of the series. (YES!!!!!!!!!)
- Apparently the defensive property of clothing (armor) are directly related to how exposed Aya is, so if you want high defensive gear, she's not going to be showing much skin.
- The game is self-contained and is meant to be a high quality single player experience.
- There is no multiplayer whatsoever.
- Battery consumption on the game will be high. (333mhz confirmed?)

KH Re:Coded

- Re:Coded is being developed to allow more fans to experience the game, the DS was selected as most people have the hardware.
- Another reason for the hardware choice is that Coded was developed with the lack of analog in mind.
- The story will be the same as Coded, but aside from the event scenes the game will see many major changes.
- The game is targeting more casual gamers, and will have an adjustable difficulty setting like The World Ends With You.
- The design concept for Re:Coded is Coded+358Days+BbS.
- The co-director of BbS is supervising the battle planning for the game, while the same team will be handling the map design.
- The level up system in the game will be an expansion of the ideas from 358 Days (Panel??!!!! YAY!)
- There will be WiFi elements, including avatars which can be unlocked featuring the characters from BbS, and Lightning from FFXIII.
- There will be a secret movie in the game.
- Currently 80% complete.

duckroll said:
Anoop's write-up has a better explanation of the Wi-fi component of Re:Coded:

There won't be a multiplayer component to Re: Coded. Instead, Square Enix is working surechigai Wi-Fi features into the game. You'll be able to communicate through surechigai with people who have games other than Re:Coded. It also looks like they've come up with a system for using surechigai even if you're not in the proximity of other players.

The original Coded linked up with avatars from Kingdom Hearts Mobile. These avatars will appear in Re:Coded via the surechigai system. Nomura didn't go into details, but he did say that the game has most of the avatars that are currently available on KHM, including Final Fantasy XIII's Lightning.

duckroll said:
I found a complete transcript of the Re:Coded interview itself. Here are some additional details:

- Because the Sora in Re:Coded is a data character in a virutal world, there is a "cheat" system in the game where you can modify your own properties to gain an advantage in battles. This is the adjustable difficulty setting mentioned before, and it is similar to The World Ends With You in that you can make the game easier or harder on the fly, and it will presumably alter the rewards you get as well.

- Nomura also mentions that while the game is targeted at more casual players, there are also elements which are included to appeal to core gamers. Examples include a "System Area" which sounds like a bonus dungeon world with harder enemies and deeper areas for exploration. He also mentions that Finisher attacks from BbS will make a return, along with Trophy achievements.

KH 3D

- This game is not a remake, it is a brand new entry in the KH series.
- This is the next stage of the franchise after Coded/358/BbS.
- Sora and Riku will be the playable characters in the game, and they will be visiting new worlds.
- There will be various hints relating to this game hidden in Re:Coded.
- There should be more information and announcements at next year's E3.

Cipherr

I could have sworn he had already said the 3ds one was a remake. But maybe I didnt see that. Everything is a jumbled mess, I dont know which of the 3ds games are ports or new titles anymore.

duckroll said:
There's a long interview with Lord Nomura-sama in this week's Famitsu. His comments on Versus and Agito are already in another thread, so this one will cover what he has to say about The 3rd Birthday and the two upcoming Kingdom Hearts games on the DS and 3DS respectively:

The 3rd Birthday

- The game was moved from mobiles to the PSP because the scope and quality was too large for phones.
- Aya will use a different sort of power in this game, instead of the Parasite Energy featured in the original PE games.
- You can enter into battle with a sleeveless outfit, but the defense will be really low.
- The game is an action RPG.
- Nomura understands that there are high expectations of a shower scene based on the history of the series. (YES!!!!!!!!!)
- Apparently the defensive property of clothing (armor) are directly related to how exposed Aya is, so if you want high defensive gear, she's not going to be showing much skin.

- The game is self-contained and is meant to be a high quality single player experience.
- There is no multiplayer whatsoever.
- Battery consumption on the game will be high. (333mhz confirmed?)

Bolded = ... Uh, that's... nice. (Also, isn't her default outfit sleeveless anyway?)

KH Re:Coded

- Re:Coded is being developed to allow more fans to experience the game, the DS was selected as most people have the hardware.
- Another reason for the hardware choice is that Coded was developed with the lack of analog in mind.
- The story will be the same as Coded, but aside from the event scenes the game will see many major changes.
- The game is targeting more casual gamers, and will have an adjustable difficulty setting like The World Ends With You.
- The design concept for Re:Coded is Coded+358Days+BbS.
- The co-director of BbS is supervising the battle planning for the game, while the same team will be handling the map design.
- The level up system in the game will be an expansion of the ideas from 358 Days (Panel??!!!! YAY!)
- There will be multiplayer elements, including avatars which can be unlocked featuring the characters from BbS, and Lightning from FFXIII.
- There will be a secret movie in the game.
- Currently 80% complete.

Wonder if it'll have even half the depth of TWEWY. Still, Panel inventory is a nice plus.

KH 3D

- Sora and Riku will be the playable characters in the game, and they will be visiting new worlds.

I can't wait to see how stupid the story gets!

So The Third Birthday will have real time armor showing? I guess that could be cool. Hopefully her "armor" doesn't look stupid. Which is kind of the problem when games do this.

duckroll

Rahxephon91 said:
So The Third Birthday will have real time armor showing? I guess that could be cool. Hopefully her "armor" doesn't look stupid.

Sounds to me like it's not armor, but just clothing. I expect stuff related to the real world theme of the game, like Kevlar vests, full body military armor, jacket + shirt, etc. I hope they put in wacky stuff like the wedding dress from the original announcement trailer, and her black dress from the first game. :D

duckroll said:
Sounds to me like it's not armor, but just clothing. I expect stuff related to the real world theme of the game, like Kevlar vests, full body military armor, jacket + shirt, etc. I hope they put in wacky stuff like the wedding dress from the original announcement trailer, and her black dress from the first game. :D
I guess that could be cool. They should take a que from Resonance of Fate and use actual brands. RoF does that right? Regardless, it would be cool if they had some cloths customization like RoF.

Really excited about The Third Birthday. PE1 is one of my favorite PS1 games and Square's PSP stuff has been pretty great.

anaron

It's nice to see from the Jump scan that Aya was at least wearing winter appropriate clothing before having it nearly all removed. :lol

duckroll said:
KH 3D

The stuff on KH3D is the same text that was posted to Famitsu.com last week.

duckroll

AndriaSang said:
The stuff on KH3D is the same text that was posted to Famitsu.com last week.

Ah, I see. So I'm guessing this entire interview was actually conducted during E3?

Kard8p3 said:
So is it safe to say we probably shouldn't expect KH 3D until 2012?

Sure. The team is finishing up the overseas version of BbS right now, so if we count a normal 2 year development cycle for a major new KH game, 2012 sounds about right.

Kard8p3 said:
So is it safe to say we probably shouldn't expect KH 3D until 2012?

Could be fall 2011 or somewhere after that. If they are taking this as serious as a KH3 production would be, then it could easily be 2013.

seady

VegaShinra said:
Oh man KH 3DS is still over a yr away. We won't hear much at until E3 2011 then. :(

Seeing Birth By Sleep is still not out in America and Re:Coded is still in development, I am totally fine with them taking their time. It's not like you want 3 KH games to come out between the next 12 months.

and I still need to get myself finish that convoluted mess that is KH2.

duckroll

Anoop's write-up has a better explanation of the Wi-fi component of Re:Coded:

There won't be a multiplayer component to Re: Coded. Instead, Square Enix is working surechigai Wi-Fi features into the game. You'll be able to communicate through surechigai with people who have games other than Re:Coded. It also looks like they've come up with a system for using surechigai even if you're not in the proximity of other players.

The original Coded linked up with avatars from Kingdom Hearts Mobile. These avatars will appear in Re:Coded via the surechigai system. Nomura didn't go into details, but he did say that the game has most of the avatars that are currently available on KHM, including Final Fantasy XIII's Lightning.

See I'm kind of interested in getting into these games but Christ their are so many games and versions across multiple platforms it seems like a complete mess.

duckroll

Flying_Phoenix said:
See I'm kind of interested in getting into these games but Christ their are so many games and versions across multiple platforms it seems like a complete mess.

Errr, it's not much of a mess. The only games which have been remade are Chain of Memories (GBA -> PS2) and Coded (Mobile -> DS). Otherwise all the games are unique. There's KH and KH2 on the PS2, 358/2 Days on DS, and Birth by Sleep on PSP. What's so confusing?

Yoshiya

Flying_Phoenix said:

Not that complicated:

Birth by Sleep (PSP) > KH1 (PS2) > Chain of Memories (GBA + PS2 remake) > 358/2 Days (DS) > KH2 (PS2) > coded (phone + DS remake)

KH 3DS fits in there somewhere, probably after coded.

Edit: beaten by duckroll, again

Yoboman

It gets confusing because they always seem to have 2 or 3 of these announced at any one time. Where exactly is KH3 going to fit in?

Insofar as KH is concerned - why does it really matter if something gets designated KH 3 or not? It's not like it'll be a great indicator of anything anyway.

duckroll

Pureauthor said:
Insofar as KH is concerned - why does it really matter if something gets designated KH 3 or not? It's not like it'll be a great indicator of anything anyway.

Because most of the people replying to my KH threads don't actually play the games. They just maintain some list somewhere of big games which might be on platforms they champion.

:(

duckroll said:
Errr, it's not much of a mess. The only games which have been remade are Chain of Memories (GBA -> PS2) and Coded (Mobile -> DS). Otherwise all the games are unique. There's KH and KH2 on the PS2, 358/2 Days on DS, and Birth by Sleep on PSP. What's so confusing?

With this announcement now there's 3 games on the PS2, 2 on the PSP, 2 on the DS, and one on the 3DS (yes I'm counting these games that have been announced because this thread renewed my interest).

What I'm confused at is where do I start and how do I even go about it. Questions like "what order should I play them in?", "are all of those games a critical part to the stories cannon?", "which game fits into which timeline?", "which version is the best to play?", etc. I know this may raise a brow or two but to me these things are very important when getting into a series. But what really makes it awkward to me is that the game series spans across 3 platforms and I'm like "Damn do I really need two gaming systems just to be able to get into this series?"

It's as others have pointed out, it's mainly the story that seems confusing because there are always multiple games announced for more then one platform which makes it a bit more difficult then your average gaming series to get into. Then again that really isn't saying much at all.

I do admit calling the series "a mess" was going to far, but it still isn't the most accessible series to get into.

Yoshiya said:
Not that complicated:

Birth by Sleep (PSP) > KH1 (PS2) > Chain of Memories (GBA + PS2 remake) > 358/2 Days (DS) > KH2 (PS2) > coded (phone + DS remake)

KH 3DS fits in there somewhere, probably after coded.

Wow awesome. Thanks! This is just what I needed. :D

duckroll said:
Well he should play KH1 first at the very least, because after playing any of the other games, the combat in KH1 will be almost unplayable.

I actually started playing KH1 way back when but stopped because of the combat and the level design. Glad to see at least one of them has significantly improved, and I can only assume the other has as well.

duckroll said:
Because most of the people replying to my KH threads don't actually play the games. They just maintain some list somewhere of big games which might be on platforms they champion.

:(

But I want Kingdom Hearts III on the Wii so I can feel that there's less reason to by a 360/PS3 and constantly post about it to make everyone jealous. Sure they can say that there's been "technical sequels" since II but I'll say "well this is the first real sequel hence the III". It's like when I tell PSP fans that Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker isn't a real Metal Gear game because they took the "5" out of the title. Anyway I mainly want to do this so that I can feel better for putting down $250 for my console. :(

Flying_Phoenix said:

Look I'll save you the trouble: Play the games in any order you want, and skip whichever game(s) you want. The story will still make approximately the same amount of sense.

duckroll

Pureauthor said:
Look I'll save you the trouble: Play the games in any order you want, and skip whichever game(s) you want. The story will still make approximately the same amount of sense.

Well he should play KH1 first at the very least, because after playing any of the other games, the combat in KH1 will be almost unplayable.

Flying_Phoenix said:
It's as others have pointed out, it's mainly the story that seems confusing because there are always multiple games announced for more then one platform which makes it a bit more difficult then your average gaming series to get into. Then again that really isn't saying much at all.

I do admit calling the series "a mess" was going to far, but it still isn't the most accessible series to get into.

I'm not sure people who really play all the games actually understand the stories:lol

I play KH 1, KH 2, and beat Sora's story in KH CoM(gba) and I don't remember KH2 story too much. I only remember the cool fight and cutscenes and the ending. but if you ask me what the story is about, I don't know what to say.

I'd say just enjoy the ride with these KH games. you may or may not understand the story, but it's still a thrill ride throughout the game.

Don

Did the first two Parasite Eve games ever come out in Europe?

I haven't played the previous, but I'm really interested in The 3rd Birthday. Are the first two games still worth playing?

Yoshiya

Callibretto said:
I'm not sure people who really play all the games actually understand the stories:lol

I play KH 1, KH 2, and beat Sora's story in KH CoM(gba) and I don't remember KH2 story too much. I only remember the cool fight and cutscenes and the ending. but if you ask me what the story is about, I don't know what to say.

I'd say just enjoy the ride with these KH games. you may or may not understand the story, but it's still a thrill ride throughout the game.

This is very true, I've played every game released so far well into the post-game stuff (only played CoM on GBA) and I can honestly say that the story makes little sense beyond the individual Disney worlds. I'd play KH1, KH2 and BBS (though, as I don't have a PSP, I'll be passing on this) and only look at the Nintendo portable games if you want to play the series while not at home, favouring CoM over Days. Both are worthwhile games, but only have story value if you already know the characters.

Look into Re: CoM though, if the remake was good enough it would be worth it to bridge the gap between KH1 and KH2. Ignore Re:coded until you have played absolutely everything else, if my understanding of the story is accurate.

duckroll said:
Ah, I see. So I'm guessing this entire interview was actually conducted during E3?

I imagine it was. But I think they only posted the Kingdom Hearts 3D and parts of the 3rd Birthday interviews on Famitsu.com. Everything else is new for the magazine.

Top Bottom