• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North West Studio (England, VR, probably UE4) - Sony's new 1st Party Studio

Looks like it's a new 1st Party Studio and it's for VR games.

fOu65at.png

Link

1. Update

Sony Confirms New UK Studio Working on "High Quality Morpheus Games"
North West Studio to incorporate staff from Driveclub dev Evolution.

Sony has established a new UK studio to focus on development for its upcoming PlayStation 4 virtual reality headset Project Morpheus, the corporation has confirmed to GameSpot.

A number of job postings for what Sony is calling its North West Studio appeared on the Sony Computer Entertainment careers page on Tuesday. The corporation has since explained to GameSpot that the team will include staff from Motorstorm and Driveclub developer Evolution Studios, who will work on "high quality experiences" for the VR headset.

"We are dedicated to producing high quality experiences for Project Morpheus, and the creation of this studio allows us to build a small but highly experienced team who can utilise their skills to showcase this exciting new immersive technology," said a Sony spokesperson.

"We always look to relocate staff throughout the studios, and this is no exception. The new team will be made up of a combination of Evolution staff members and new talent, with a focus on hiring the most highly experienced team possible."

Evolution Studios was previously working on a prototype version of Driveclub for Project Morpheus, which would put players in cockpit view. According to Shuhei Yoshida, PlayStation's president of worldwide studios, the project was halted because it was "kind of difficult and sickening."

In March, Evolution Studios suffered layoffs, amidst assurances from Sony that the studio would provide ongoing support for Driveclub.

More here

B-but they told me Sony has no 1st party games!

don't see how that's relevant or contributes to conversation

anyways

Glad to see Sony focusing on VR with an entire studio. For it to become anything close to the phenomena motion gaming was, it has to have a nice push from large studios behind it. Valve and Sony are doing a great job.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Cool that this is a separate studio now. They've said Sony UK teams have been experimenting with VR quite a bit in London. They must have broken it off into it's own thing.

Abriael

Banned
Staff Feature
Kevin - Designer
Find out more about Kevin - Designer at our London Studio

That has nothing to do with it. It's just the staff feature of the whole SCEE job site. Mind you, he's been there for years, literally. By now Kevin is a star.

Glad to see Sony might be talking Morpheus seriously. I know VR is risky even with strong support and good hardware, but if it doesn't get really good software support it's likely doomed regardless.

Lingitiz

Hopefully this is a sign that they'll really support Morpheus. They don't have a great track record when it comes to supporting peripherals.

Danlord

Wipeout vr
I really hope it's this. It makes sense being back in Liverpool and WipEout is perfect for VR. They managed (dynamic) 1080p 60fps on PS3 in the early days, PS4 doing 1080 at 120hz native for Morpheus would be I think one of the killer apps for VR

libregkd

huh, that's two new studios in 2 years. Cool that they are setting up a studio to actually focus on VR output though.

DieH@rd

Banned
That sound nausea inducing.
Sign me up!

Strangely it is not. VR experiences that convey fast FORWARD motion are almost always regarded as very good. Our brain apparently is very much used for that kind of motion, so it accepts those games easily [fast runners, F-Zero clones, rolercoaster rides and similar VR experiments].

But strafing in VR... That can easily be nausea inducing. :D

I wonder if they have more that we don't know about. This should please people who were worried about VR taking away from their main 1st party studios.

Josman

I honestly hope they go all out on VR, no offense to those that don't want it. Naught Dog making an Uncharted like game for Morpehus would be incredibly immersing.

MavFan619

Banned
don't see how that's relevant or contributes to conversation

anyways

Glad to see Sony focusing on VR with an entire studio. For it to become anything close to the phenomena motion gaming was, it has to have a nice push from large studios behind it. Valve and Sony are doing a great job.
I agree it's even more encouraging that they would go all in with a dedicated new studio.

Top Bottom