• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North West Studio Hiring for Studio Ghibli-Esque Morpheus Exclusive On UE4

http://vrfocus.com/archives/20833/s...r-studio-ghibli-eqsue-project-morpheus-title/
Back in May 2015 is was revealed that Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) was hiring for an ‘ambitious’ new first-party developer named North West Studio. The group is set to work exclusively on the company’s upcoming virtual reality (VR) head-mounted display (HMD), Project Morpheus, creating new experiences for the PlayStation 4 peripheral.

The listing, posted over on Develop, is looking for an Environment Artist to come and start work on a ‘brand new IP for Project Morpheus’. The company is looking for individuals with skills in water features, rock formation, flora and fauna modelling and, tellingly, experience with Epic Games’ Unreal Engine 4 development toolset among other aspects. Perhaps the most intriguing part of the listing is looking for experience with ‘Stylised folio similar to Studio Ghibli’.

Sounds interesting! I'm glad Sony has some cool exclusives cooking behind the scenes.

You might want to ask a mod to put Sony's North West Studio in the title since i'm not sure too many are aware that they're a newly opened Sony studio. It could help more people click on the thread.

North West Studio Hiring for Studio Ghibli-Esque

images

Morpheus Exclusive.

o39hdHL.jpg

DavidDesu

Oh my. Morpheus is going to deliver some amazing things. VR in general, but Morpheus is the only way in to VR I can afford!

UrbanRats

Some people defined that horrid looking Ninja Theory game (Enslaved) as Ghibli-esque, so it's a pretty meaningless term.

Very intriguing. Hopefully its very good.
Its UE4 aswell so if it bombs as a morpheus exclusive hopefully they can do a quick version/port that doesn't require it for the ps4.

F4r0_Atak

Very intriguing. Hopefully its very good.
Its UE4 aswell so if it bombs as a morpheus exclusive hopefully they can do a quick version/port that doesn't require it for the ps4.

You seem to have missed that little detail...

Back in May 2015 is was revealed that Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) was hiring for an ‘ambitious’ new first-party developer named North West Studio. The group is set to work exclusively on the company’s upcoming virtual reality (VR) head-mounted display (HMD), Project Morpheus, creating new experiences for the PlayStation 4 peripheral.

The listing, posted over on Develop, is looking for an Environment Artist to come and start work on a ‘brand new IP for Project Morpheus’. The company is looking for individuals with skills in water features, rock formation, flora and fauna modelling and, tellingly, experience with Epic Games’ Unreal Engine 4 development toolset among other aspects. Perhaps the most intriguing part of the listing is looking for experience with ‘Stylised folio similar to Studio Ghibli’.

This studio was build to work on the Morpheus, not anything else.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
You get anything "Studio Ghibli-Esque" in VR and I'm there day one! Eye-gasms all day, errday.

You seem to have missed that little detail...

This studio was build to work on the Morpheus, not anything else.

Oh i know theyre set to work exclusively on morpheus and are sony owned. Its just VR can go either way so a ps4 version/port without morpheus if it fails wouldnt be so out of reach is what i was getting at.

F4r0_Atak

Some people defined that horrid looking Ninja Theory game (Enslaved) as Ghibli-esque, so it's a pretty meaningless term.

They were just quoting Tameem Antoniades' “A fantasy… where everything is different and everything is colorful.” His view of Hayao Miyazaki's work is a bit narrow-minded (he does not seem to see the bigger picture) and could be associated to pretty much any 2D animation. Different and Colorful? Is that how people view Miyazaki's (and Studio Ghibli's in general) work?

The work by Studio Ghibli could be considered in some ways unique, in the way it tells its different stories and in the way it represents its different worlds (Totoro, Nausicaa Valley of the Wind, Princess Mononoke, etc). It's not just about colors and stylization. It's about creating a credible and cohesive world that features fantastical elements (like in the spirits in Spirited Away or the demons in Princess Mononoke for example).

Oh i know theyre set to work exclusively on morpheus and are sony owned. Its just VR can go either way so a ps4 version/port without morpheus if it fails wouldnt be so out of reach is what i was getting at.

I know. With the past years (2010 from now), SCE was not very inclined in supporting their new accessories (Move Controller, PS Eye, Wonderbook) with "major" projects and on a longer term. So, like you said, it could go either way. Although, impressions about the Morpheus (tech and demos) were mostly positives so far, compared to most of the Move Controller' hands-on impression, which were middling in general. VR technology could eventually be the next step, but people's adoption of the new tech will depend on SCE's will of supporting its soon*-to-be-released device. They need to bring First-party games/projects/values to the Morpheus and I am not talking about IPs we already know. They need to adapt the IP to the technology (the Morpheus here) in order to bring VR games that could be worthwhile.

Top Bottom