• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nosgoth (Square Enix/Psyonix, Legacy of Kain, F2P) Announcement Trailer

Yoday

This is the type of game we want.

lok1_by_raziel1992-d6nt8ia.gif
That opening is still one of my all time favorite game cinematic intro's. The writing is so masterful and elegant.

*dreams of Amy working on a new LoK with Naughty Dog*
/cry

I...don't understand how anyone thought this was a good idea. I'm not even disappointed much anymore, I'm just completely baffled. What a colossal misunderstanding of the series and its appeal.

Seems to me like the kind of thing were a suit says "We need a free to play multiplayer game! The DOTA2 is doing really well! What IPs do we have?"

KorrZ

I want to say this looks worse than expected, but this is pretty much what I expected from any attempt at a multiplayer LOK game. Square Enix is really just so god damn stupid, take a franchise that's biggest strength is it's story/characters/writing and make it into MP deathmatch. They'll probably kill the franchise completely after this surely bombs too.

For fuck sakes.

Lord Phol

I'm sure this will be cool, but it makes me sad for what could have been -- more Kain games.
Pretty much what I was going to post. I've enjoyed vampire vs human games before and this could be fun, but it's not the legacy of kain titled I wanted or deserved.

marrec

Banned

studyguy

I don't know what people expected of the title when the majority of the dev team gone, the lead writer gone and Tony Jay dead. I mean shit on SE all you like, but to expect LoK to come back as it once was is a pipedream.

That opening is still one of my all time favorite game cinematic intro's. The writing is so masterful and elegant.

*dreams of Amy working on a new LoK with Naughty Dog*
/cry

Yeah, it's still a stunning intro. Succinct, exciting and to the point. I'd love Naughty Dog to get the licence as they obviously have a penchant for the dark and supernatural, but obviously that won't happen. Squeenix will probably just kill the series for good when Nosgoth doesn't do so well.

I would bloody love ND's next game to be something totally different from Uncharted, at least in terms of tone and style. If not Savage Starlight, then how about a vampiric RPG instead? :)

Vandole

There are no words for how disappointed I am. Well, that's not true. There are a lot in fact, but I've been playing a lot of Professor Layton recently and the words I'd have to use aren't fitting of a gentleman.

I usually remain optimistic when it comes to games but no.... this is not Legacy of Kain.... It's not even the LoK universe.

Why didn't they just create a new adventure or RPG game? Why this?

I honestly wonder, do these developers and/or publishers even give any thought to what they're doing? Don't they think "people are not going to like this direction of a classic universe, and especially the fans". And before anyone chimes in about how this is not really about the fans.... bullshit. It wouldn't be titled Nosgoth if it weren't and called "War of the Vampires" or something equally generic. So, they blindly go out and tarnish the Kain name with some kind of MOBA (or whatever it is) junk this is? Are these developers/publishers really that fucking clueless?

This is one of my favorite franchises of all time and they just took a big, wet corn-laced shit on top of it. Congratulations SE!

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
Hello GAF, sorry I've kinda been busy with the whole site and social media channel launches today, Going to read through this thread now and answer however many questions as I can. Please bear with me.

Oh and don't forget that we'll be holding a Live Q&A on Monday 30th September via Twitch where you'll be able to ask us your questions directly - full details on the official blog here.

Right, gimme a mo' and I'll have a read of this thread.

This looks like it should have come out 4 or 5 years ago.

I actually think it looks interesting from a gameplay side, at least the vampires. The humans look boring as hell to play.

Labadal

Hello GAF, sorry I've kinda been busy with the whole site and social media channel launches today, Going to read through this thread now and answer however many questions as I can. Please bear with me.

Oh and don't forget that we'll be holding a Live Q&A on Monday 25th September via Twutch where you'll be able to ask us your questions directly - full details on the official blog here.

I mean no disrespect and I promise that it is nothing personal but there isn't much you can say to change the opinions in this thread.

Grief.exe

Square was amazed by the success of

Shadowrun_box_art_2.jpg

and said WE WANT A PIECE OF THAT PIE!

I hope Microsoft rips GFWL out of this, fixes the mouse control, and puts it on Steam with dedicated servers.

I watched some gameplay of this and it looks like some serious fun.

Oh and don't forget that we'll be holding a Live Q&A on Monday 25th September via Twutch where you'll be able to ask us your questions directly - full details on the official blog here.

You won't come back after you did this.
Also, why are you even trying?

I am left speechless to be honest, I was keeping a very open mind towards this, but I am just not feeling it, I am not getting any vibe from it.

Maxim726X

I am left speechless to be honest, I was keeping a very open mind towards this, but I am just not feeling it, I am not getting any vibe from it.

To be honest I never expected to see something set in this universe at all again (though you could easily make the argument that it's just used as an excuse to pit vampires against humans).

So as far as I'm concerned, something is better than nothing. Give the team a chance.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Nosgoth...
Hey, i heard that...
Square-Enix...
HYPE!
Legacy of Kain...
MORE HYPE!
F2P
RUN RUN ABORT ABANDON SHIP NOW RUN

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
So it's a reskinned Gotham City Imposters?

It's probably fun enough to play, but man it will be a hard sell to fans.
Heh, you're telling me. I remember when I saw the game for the first time and yeah, I was pretty skeptical too but it is very fun to play (...but then again, you'll be thinking I would say that anyway).

What I can tell you is that we're being very respectful to the pre-established lore and that Nosgoth is set in a previously unexplored era in the LoK timeline. It takes place during Raziel's fall down the Abyss/Lake of The Dead. When he enters the Abyss, Kain;s Empire is in full swing. When he re-emergfes, it's inm ruins and its clear Kain has been absent for quite some time (as evidenced by his lack of devolution following Nupratros cuerse as evinced by his Lieutenants.

Nosgoth shows you what happened inbetween, not least what happened to the Razielim.

As a game it looks fine, but it has absolutely nothing to do with Legacy of Kain. The degree to which they've gotten the art direction wrong is astounding.
If this is about the three fingered Vampires versus five fingered Vampires. then I can answer that. The Vampires in Nosgoth are still fledglings, albeit powerful ones¸ and thus don’t exhibit the advanced three-finger evinced by Kain and his Lieutenants. Equally, they have yet to mutate and devolve into the more beastly forms seen in Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver as the effects of Nupraptor’s curse have yet to become so pronounced in this period (although the effects are most clearly visible amongst the Razielim, the oldest of all the Clans).

This is why the Vampires (aside from Vorador, but incvluding Kain) have five fingers in Blood Omen and Blod Omen 2.

Also I'm sure someone who is more versed in the series lore might be able to clarify, but wasn't Raziel's clan wiped out immediately after Raziel himself was cast into the lake? If that's the case how is his clan in this game with wings? Raziel explained that the rest of a vampire's clan evolved the leader's gifts after the leader himself. Raziel was killed immediately after getting his wings.
It’s not so much that the Razielim are still alive as that they have not been comprehensively wiped out yet. On Raziel’s supposed execution, the other Clans fell upon the now leaderless Razielim in power-grab for their territories and influence. This infighting, which took place over a few hundred years, entertained and distracted Kain’s precocious Lieutenants – scant time for an immortal Vampire, but more than enough time for and allowed enough distraction for Humanity to recoup and redevelop into a credible opposing force. Realising that air support would be needed to recapture the lands now lost to Human forces, the remaining Razielim were themselves forcibly recruited by the other Clans so as to help them prevent the Humans advancement. The ultimate state and fate of the Razielim has yet to be revealed.

Also... What if I want to play Raziel? ;)
Raziel isn't around in this era, he's falling down the Abyss.

Okay, page 1 done. Onto page 2.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sans the whole "This isn't really what Legacy of Kain is about." thing, I think it looks like it could be pretty fun.

We don't have many fast paced deathmatch games anymore.

marrec

Banned
Monkey, I was cautiously optimistic about this before now.

After the trailer though... I mean, I know WHY it was done... but it doesn't help.

It does look fun but I don't know if I would be able to HAVE fun with it, ya know?

Concept17

The game itself looks like it could be pretty fun. They should not have used the same universe, but oh well.

Sans the whole "This isn't really what Legacy of Kain is about." thing, I think it looks like it could be pretty fun.

Agreed. They seem to be doing some interesting stuff for a multiplayer title. And like someone else said, at least its not a MOBA.

Maxim726X

See? That's what I'm talking about.

Give it a chance, people.

I, for one, am just glad to see something from the universe again.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Truth is, I would probably be much more interested (or at least positive) if the Legacy of Kain IP wasn't attached to this.

Grief.exe

Steam Store just put up a few minutes ago

http://store.steampowered.com/app/200110/

I knew something was up yesterday when I was browsing the registry

Whoa. Nosgoth to be released relatively soon?

They are getting the store page ready. Added in a line to show the controller support and metacritic name. Really don't need these lines until release.

I got the impression it was relatively far off from the mamarobotnik thread. Maybe I will send him a PM and see if he has any information.

sublimit

Banned
Visually it looks ugly IMO.There's way too much color saturation and glowing going on.Gameplay-wise it doesn't look very interesting either.
Meh.

I thought F2P fantasy PvP games are sprouting up everywhere.
Steam seems to be filled with them.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I thought F2P fantasy PvP games are sprouting up everywhere.
Steam seems to be filled with them.

To me this is more of a fast paced shooter than things like FORGE (or whatever it's called) that is just MMO combat as an f2p title.

I get the concept of the Unreal Championship comparison now. This is more like late 90's/early 2000's shooters, but in third person and with melee abilities.

I realize that doesn't come with the modern flash of BF or CoD, but it's not an invalid game style.

Top Bottom