• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not only are handhelds done for, CNET writer doesn't think Vita will come out in NA

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I sometimes wonder if Apple is just buying these people off, or they really think the iDevice is the holy grail of gaming. Or maybe they are really that desperate for hits. I mean, who visits cnet?

That means that people won't even had to cancel their pre-orders.

Wario thread obsolete.

Molly Wood is an executive editor at CNET, host of the Buzz Report, Buzz Out Loud, and Tech Review at CNET TV, and author of the Molly Rants blog. When she's not enraging fanboys of all stripes, she can be found offering tech opinions on CBS and elsewhere, and offering opinions on everything else to anyone who will listen.

It's a trap!!

I'm not sure what I'm hearing here exactly. Would someone care to explain?

Keep throwing shit to the wall and something will stick.
That's what happening.

You should wonder if: Someone is paying them for writing this kind of articles. Or, they're just looking for hits.

Luigi87

... Wow, they really did claim that.

Well, time to do what's expected...
My prediction for 2012 is journalists will still be making asinine predictions regarding certain trends.

We should make an all encompassing "Doooooomed" thread that covers the gaming industry as it is viewed by the mass media. Leave normal GAF prediction/speculation threads and level headed news coverage out of it and we are golden.

This is some ridiculous and misinformed ish.

meppi

I really hope this iOS fad ends soon

iOS isn't the problem though, far from it actually.

The problem is idiots believing that it can replace the type of games that one gets on most dedicated gaming devices.
It might in the future, don't get me wrong, but with the current design it's not going to happen. Unless they find a fix for the virtual controls and the mess that goes along with it.

Every device has it's place and strengths as well as weaknesses. The problem is idiots hailing the shiny new item and automatically predicting the death of everything that resembles a system of old.

ASIS

3DS: DOOOOOMED *ends up selling about half a million in one week... in one country*

PSV: DOUBLE DOOOOMED *Prediction?*

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wait I just saw an Opiate post and now it's gone??

Not to imply anything nefarious, but I would prefer there was more transparency - in regards to reason - when mods/admins move/delete posts (and close/delete threads). I understand that explaining a thread move or deletion (or, alternatively, a post move/deletion) is an inability owing to software, but it takes all of about five seconds to post why you're closing a thread.

Edit: Edited to seem less world-ending. :p

When you think about it, iOS is really all you need. Why spend $60 on a game when you can get 60 games for 99 cents each!

But if you think even more about it, Android is really all you need. Why spend 60$ dollars at all, when there are many free games on Android?

Takao

Banned
I'm not sure what I'm hearing here exactly. Would someone care to explain?

This is CNET's 2012 predictions podcast and one of the writers decided to bring the topic to gaming. They basically all came to the conclusion that traditional handheld gaming is dead, replaced by smart phones, before the host made the incredibly bold prediction that Vita won't even be released in the US.

As for the Wii U comment, another one of the hosts predicted that 2012 will see Microsoft announce the new Xbox for release in 2013, being the first next-gen console announced. Wii-U? More like Wii-Who are You?

A whole new thread for these shit "news"?
Really?

These are the people who write opinion articles on why the handheld market is dead. If they say such ridiculous things like this, no one will ever take their opinion seriously, which is what we need.

About Molly Wood

Molly Wood is an executive editor at CNET, host of the Buzz Report, Buzz Out Loud, and Tech Review at CNET TV, and author of the Molly Rants blog. When she's not enraging fanboys of all stripes, she can be found offering tech opinions on CBS and elsewhere, and offering opinions on everything else to anyone who will listen.
kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Opiate

Not to imply anything nefarious, but I would prefer there was more transparency when mods/admins move/delete posts (and close/delete threads).

Edit: Edited to seem less world-ending. :p

In some cases, this might be a good idea. In others, we would drown in arguments about whether Sony really does smell like dead fish, and why would moderators close it when it's obviously true and the moderators are just suppressing facts about how stupid and ugly Sony is.

A simple thread closing can turn in to a slaughter. I've actually been on the forefront of some of these threads -- where we try and explain our behavior --and it is typically both unenjoyable and time consuming to handle.

Sometimes, an explanation of moderator actions can be helpful. I do this on occasion. In others, it only incites angry, irrational people to be more angry and irrational than before.

Or, put more directly: GAF is not moderated by committee. For those interested, in this case, my comment was simple and snarky. I try to avoid such comments, even when they are obviously warranted, as they are in this case.

tuffy

But if you think even more about it, Android is really all you need. Why spend 60$ dollars at all, when there are many free games on Android?
Because I don't have an infinite amount of leisure time to spend sifting through hundreds of free (or nearly free) games, it's more economical to spend $60 on a title that's likely to provide X hours of entertainment.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I just got a preorder cancellation email from Amazon. Seems like this is coming true.

Top Bottom