• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not sure if I did the right thing, called animal welfare for a neighbors dog

Pilgrimzero

My neighbors 2 houses down got a dog a couple of months ago (as far as I know), but they don't let it inside. They have no backyard and it has no collar and roams the street. I rarely step outside and not see that dog.

I asked them once when I saw them outside if it was their dog and they said yes and they admitted to just letting it wander since they have no fenced in back yard. Ive had 2 neighbors tell me they offered to give the dog to them. I'd take it but I have no room, small house with 3 people and 2 dogs already.

It's a nice lab puppy and plays with the street kids and I believe the owner feed it as it seems well fed enough. BUT as I said they never let it inside and never seem to really interact with it. Why even have the dog? It just wanders around or lays on their porch.

Well last night it poured rain and we had tornado warnings and all I could think about was this dog, did it find a dry place to hide in? What happens when winter hits? It going to freeze?

So I called Animal Welfare and told them what i know. They said they would send someone over to look into it. I dont know if this means they will take the dog or just talk to the owners about it.

And now I worry if they do take the dog will they just put it sleep? The dog seems fine wandering around for now, maybe lonely though, but again i worry about it freezing to death in a month or 2. Is being put in a cage and eventually euthanized a better end? Did I make the right choice for this dog?

Who the fuck gets a dog and just leaves it to wander the street 24/7?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
If they wanted an animal they could let wander around outside they should have brought a cat. no the majority of cats in the U.K. and elsewhere go on their gardens then go outside for the day the. Come back later.

Do they fine owners who do this to their dogs?
It’s just a puppy also ffs.

when it grows up to be a medium to large sized dog you gonna thing people are going to react calming to seeing a dog in the street? Randomly coming up to them. What if it bites someone?

Last edited:

poodaddy

You did the right thing OP. Come winter, if the dog's still out there and they don't bring it in from the cold, go get the dog and bring it in and keep it warm. If they try to get you for animal theft, tell the cops that you were just trying to keep the dog safe from the cold until your neighbors get their heads out of their collective asses, the cops will be on your side, trust me.

Fuck animal cruelty and fuck people who get animals and aren't ready to be true companions and care takers. They're not fucking decorations, they're lives that need nurture and care just like any human.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I see nothing wrong with what you did. Dogs need interaction, training, exercise, affection, etc. You can’t just put food out on your porch and let it roam the neighborhood like a cat

BigBooper

Some animals can do just fine living outside, but since they don't even have a yard and it's roaming the streets, it will eventually get run over and killed. Is there a chance it was a stray that they just started feeding?

Cyberpunkd

You did the right thing, an animal is not a toy. If they cannot or do not want to take care of it they shouldn’t have one.

Damn, we were cleaning and re-arranging the living room that had goldfish in it - we hauled our asses to city aquarium to give it away to live with other gold fishes.

Last edited:
If they don't care for a cute puppy I cannot imagine the lack of care as that dog ages, assuming it doesn't totally wander off or worse. You did good OP, hopefully it's rehomed or owners are forced to put up fences etc.

A.Romero

It's the right thing to do. Most people would ignore it. It's great that you did something for the dog. It will most likely find a better family.

Tschumi

2 months and they're already trying to hand it off.. astonishing how people never find out that impulse buying puppies is a fucking stupid idea until it's too late

Ionian

You did the right thing, an animal is not a toy. If they cannot or do not want to take care of it they shouldn’t have one.

Damn, we were cleaning and re-arranging the living room that had goldfish in it - we hauled our asses to city aquarium to give it away to live with other gold fishes.

I did the same with Terrapins. Stupidly bought them in a market in Sicily. Carried them in a soap holder on the plane. *(I was a retarded idiot).

They just got too big and difficult to take care of, so donated them to a reptile shop.

I couldn't believe the price they were charging when I went back but knew anyone who would pay it was serious about taking care of them.

Terrapins can also be super fast out of water, learned that the hard way. The bite is serious business too.

To the OP: You did the right thing dude. I wish you the best for the Doggo. Some people shouldn't have pets.

Last edited:
Top Bottom