• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not sure what to do about my Steam Deck reservation…. Got the email (advice? Help?)

Maddux4164

So after 7-8 months or however long, I’ve got the email and it only gives me 3 days or whatever to pay for this thing

I truly want it. But no way I can pay now, would need to be next week at the earliest.

What do I do? Would anyone else want it? Or can it be paid later? Sucks that it’s sudden and doesn’t give me time and I’ve waited 8 months
i7MoH1B.jpg

schaft0620

If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. Don't go nuts over some fomo. A better version will be out by the time your next order comes through.

It overheats, it has a short battery life, and the screen is just ok. Like 25% of my Steam games don't play on it without problems.

Maddux4164

Contact Steam support, I heard they can extend it up to 2 weeks or something if you explain to them your situation
Really?? Ok. Is this via email within the app?
If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. Don't go nuts over some fomo. A better version will be out by the time your next order comes through.

It overheats, it has a short battery life, and the screen is just ok. Like 25% of my Steam games don't play on it without problems.
So it’s not worth it? 🧐

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Maddux4164 Maddux4164 , it's an awesome device. I have no clue what is going on with schaft0620 schaft0620 's device, but it is awesome. However, it is not so awesome that you should go into debt for it. If you don't have the funds then pass on it. It's that simple. Honestly, if you're this strapped then I wouldn't even consider asking for an extension in order to get it in a week. You should cancel your order and when you're financially stable see if you want to re-order it.

Apocryphon

I love mine.

Steam Support will very likely give you the extention you need. First thing should be to reach out to them and ask the question. That will give you time to think it over this next week.

They are fantastic though.

Maddux4164

I love mine.

Steam Support will very likely give you the extention you need. First thing should be to reach out to them and ask the question. That will give you time to think it over this next week.

They are fantastic though.
I’ve asked them to give me to the 9th

I’ll think it through if they accept

Any idea once you pay… how long before it ships?

Filben

Any idea once you pay… how long before it ships?
Got mine three business days after payment.

Also, amazing device even if you're not totally into playing on the go. It feels like somewhat different gaming and some games I wouldn't play on anything else (e.g. TV, desktop) but the Deck.

Can't you pay with credit card which withdraws money in the next accounting month?

Maddux4164

Got mine three business days after payment.

Also, amazing device even if you're not totally into playing on the go. It feels like somewhat different gaming and some games I wouldn't play on anything else (e.g. TV, desktop) but the Deck.

Can't you pay with credit card which withdraws money in the next accounting month?
I CAN. But let’s say I’d rather not right now 😂

Lucky for me I’m 35, single and no kids. So frankly it won’t destroy my life spending the money if I’m honest

Crayon

I let mine and go. I truly do not need it and would hardly use it. And I'm not interested in scalping it so on it goes to the next in line. And I get my five bucks back. That I'll actually use.

Last edited:

Filben

It overheats ?
It doesn't. It gets warm and maybe a little hot on certain display areas (there are videos on this showing heat areas, just take a look), which doesn't mean it overheats.

All the temperatures generated by the Deck are within limits and right now there's no indication to worry about overheating.

Temperature and heat zone recordings doesn't back up the statement that it's overheating.

ahtlas7

If you don’t have the money then wait, my advice. The supply is improving and the wait is getting shorter and shorter. It’s a great little device but will you have fun while worrying about finances?

Soodanim

Gold Member
The same rules apply as any purchase: you have needs and you have wants. If something you want impacts your ability to pay for something you need, then you would be stupid to get the thing you don't need.

Only you can make the decision on whether it's a bad idea to purchase it from a financial perspective.

From a quality perspective, you could always sell it.

You can't afford a $350 item today... but you can next week? I think you need to set your priorities in order, because you absolutely cannot afford it as a luxury item. What happens if your car breaks down, you lose your job, get a tooth cavity or you have a health emergency?

Create a spreadsheet of your income, savings, emergency fund and expenses over the next 3 months and find out if you can fit in $350 without losing sleep over it.

Last edited:

sendit

You can't afford a $350 item today... but you can next week? I think you need to set your priorities in order, because you absolutely cannot afford it as a luxury item. What happens if your car breaks down, you lose your job, get a tooth cavity or you have a health emergency?

Create a spreadsheet of your income, savings, emergency fund and expenses over the next 3 months and find out if you can fit in $350 without losing sleep over it.
Car can't break down if you don't have a car.

Think About It GIF by Identity

Maddux4164

It’s only $350? Where? Mine is $529

MrA

Banned
Aren't these still selling for a premium if it turns out you can't afford it im sure you could sell it, I doubt anyone would begrudge you (well some one will but you know the internet) for asking all costs plus shipping, I know I wouldn't

wipeout364

I was really on the fence, I went ahead and bought it. Really enjoying it, just played through Deus Ex Human Revolution again on it and that was a really enjoyable experience. It is a great handheld with lots of content.

It ultimately is an expensive toy but I really enjoy playing some of my steam library on the go.

Maddux4164

Answer is overwhelmingly yes

Maddux4164

Looks like it won’t matter. Steam won’t offer me any type of extension till next week. It’s paid for in full by 9am tomorrow or it’s a no go.

They said “let us know when you have the funds and we may can do something” 😂

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Only reason I'm in this thread is because mine was delivered yesterday and Steam Deck threads make me notice them. Its been fantastic to get to know and I beat Portal for the first time just to enjoy it and learn its ways.

That said, its a fucking cool toy but if you're hurting for money you should take a hard pass. Its the best handheld ever made but its not going to take you to nirvana. There will be other opportunities. Get your house in order and then check back. It might be readily available in six months and if not you might be in a better position to buy regardless. Logitech is making a move into this space as well. You're not going to lose out.

Don't sweat it man. All best.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Wait for the next iteration. It's just around the corner. Imagine buying this now and Steam announces SteamDeck 2 a week from now.

Nah, there's no way a major upgrade / version is dropping any time soon. Valve moves slowly, and they're still learning from the launch.

Anyway OP, as much as I like my Deck, if you're hurting for money definitely wait. While it is a cool handheld PC, that's all it is at the end of the day. It isn't going to expand your horizons or anything.

jaysius

Banned
Saving the money you would have spent on this would be a good start for the future of savings, prevent these types of things from happening in the future.

Savings little or big don't matter a saving is a saving. It sounds like you need priorities realigned with reality.

Apocryphon

Looks like it won’t matter. Steam won’t offer me any type of extension till next week. It’s paid for in full by 9am tomorrow or it’s a no go.

I saw this exact thing happen on Reddit and they did sort the guy out by all accounts. It kinda sounds like you can't afford it though bru. I highly recommend the deck but honestly you should probably let it go for now.

Maddux4164

I saw this exact thing happen on Reddit and they did sort the guy out by all accounts. It kinda sounds like you can't afford it though bru. I highly recommend the deck but honestly you should probably let it go for now.
Doesn’t appear there’s much of a choice anyhow

Kupfer

You only had half a year (or longer?) to prepare for this moment.... It's not like it was a big surprise.

Top Bottom