• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Note to Jim Ryan: 43% of RE8 sales were on PS5. Only 15% on PS4.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
12 years ago you wouldn’t argue stopping PS3 production for PS4s, they would just coexist. One of the things I like about PC gaming is you could have someone on Windows XP, or iOS.

CeeJay

Small game vs big game. While ratchet and clank are impressive ps5 next gen games, they are small, compared to last hzd and gow. Those games have insane details, characters, movements, that makes ratchet and clank baby. I am surprised ps4 can handle those games. If they get ps5 patch, i wouldnt be surprised if they will be considered a ps5 game.
I dunno, have you watched the DF tech review video? Ratchet looks to have all of those things. Sure, the art style is cartoony over a more lifelike style in gow and hzd but the character models and animation still look top notch to me and the amount of shit going on all over the screen can't be called anything other than insane detail. Even the spent rounds on the ground and bugs flying around are fully fleshed out models when you zoom in on photo mode. Insomniac are miracle workers though. To think that they have released 3 full games in the last 3 years, their output is insane. I wasn't planning to buy a PS5 but R&C looks like a genuine system seller to me.

Unknown?

Exactly. That means they wouldve had MORE time to finish the game, not less.

They literally had all the time in the world to make a true next gen game. They chose not to.
That's the point I was making! PS5 dev kits weren't out when development started and neither were finalized specs.

Okamiden

UK Sales only because NPD doesn't believe in releasing numbers anymore.

Here is the relevant bit.

This comes after Spiderman Miles continues to top the chart every other week whenever they get PS5s in stock clearly showing that a large number of people were waiting to buy it on PS5. Not to mention the fact that we are only in May 2021 so by the time Horizon, GoW and GT7 launch next year, the userbase should be doubled skewing these numbers in favor of PS5 even more.

This isnt new btw. We saw similar splits with cross gen games like Watch Dogs and Destiny last gen.

Sauce:

Idiot Jim Ryan allocating valuable dev resources to port a game on the system where no one will play it. Surely neogaf experts know better if this is financially viable than CEO of multi-billion corporation and dozens of business analysts.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Note to OP 15/20% is still a lot worldwide.....
Spiderman Miles proves you can make up those sales as more PS5s get sold. Games dont stop selling after day one you know.

Sony might lose 15% sales on GOW on Day one. So if it sells like TLOU2 which sold $240 million in three days, Sony will lose $25 million. But they will make it up as the year goes on and will easily make up those sales by the end of the fiscal year. If not, by the end of the quarter. These games are NOT coming out today. They are coming out NEXT year when the PS5 will have at least 25 million userbase.

RE8 sold this much on a 8 million userbase. The hardcores are the ones who have the PS5 and they are the ones who buy games on Day one.

Spidey Fan

Banned
I dunno, have you watched the DF tech review video? Ratchet looks to have all of those things. Sure, the art style is cartoony over a more lifelike style in gow and hzd but the character models and animation still look top notch to me and the amount of shit going on all over the screen can't be called anything other than insane detail. Even the spent rounds on the ground and bugs flying around are fully fleshed out models when you zoom in on photo mode. Insomniac are miracle workers though. To think that they have released 3 full games in the last 3 years, their output is insane. I wasn't planning to buy a PS5 but R&C looks like a genuine system seller to me.
Its not the character model, but the environment. The environment on these games are insane level of details, and being bigger game makes it more crazy. Unless ratchet acts as hzd world, it wont be the same level. Also, its easy to beef up small game graphic wise to insane level, compared to game level like hzd, spiderman and gow. Look how the medium turned out. small games, but impossible to run on the xbox1.

GymWolf

Fun stuff but don't you know how many vibrating butt plugs can jimbo buy with that 15% ps4 money?!

He wants ALL the butt plugs.

JIM RYAN and Capcom:
vsFJxyM.gif

SlimySnake

That's the point I was making! PS5 dev kits weren't out when development started and neither were finalized specs.
I really dont buy this excuse. Cerny talked about how they had implemented kraken support in their i/o going back to 2017. If anyone knows what the spec target was, its the first party studios. Hell, Team ICE at ND was directly involved in the PS4 design. GG is up there with Team ICE. There is no way they didnt know since they literally created a launch game for the PS4. You think they started development on KZSD AFTER they got the devkits?

No, you start with PC parts and go from there. It's just how it's always been. Kojima started MGS4 dev on PC. Before the PS3 even had a GPU. Sony produced Resistance, Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword, Ratchet, Uncharted, and Warhawk in the first year of the notoriously hard to develop for PS3 with a cell processor that was supposed to double up as a GPU. PS3 didnt even get a GPU until a year before it came out. Devs still managed to figure it out.

AMD had 12 tflops GPUs out by 2016. They had 8 core 16 thread Zen CPUs out by 2017. SSDs have been around since 2011. They had all the tools in the world to start development just like they have in the years past.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Spiderman Miles proves you can make up those sales as more PS5s get sold. Games dont stop selling after day one you know.

Sony might lose 15% sales on GOW on Day one. So if it sells like TLOU2 which sold $240 million in three days, Sony will lose $25 million. But they will make it up as the year goes on and will easily make up those sales by the end of the fiscal year. If not, by the end of the quarter. These games are NOT coming out today. They are coming out NEXT year when the PS5 will have at least 25 million userbase.

RE8 sold this much on a 8 million userbase. The hardcores are the ones who have the PS5 and they are the ones who buy games on Day one.
Op, There is something called world wide audience. your chart is specifically UK. It wont be the same as those other countries. MM would be do poorly in Japanese market, compared to the UK sales, While persona will do amazing in the Japanese market, compared to the UK. Returnal same. UK chart isnt the answer to the worldwide audience.

So far, ps5 has sold over 7.8m as of April 28. That is worldwide sales. not just UK. only 15% of ps4 uk owners bought the game, while 48% bought it there. But do you know how much did re8 sold on UK? That is the problem of your sales. Until we have worldwide data, releasing those games on next gen is a losing business. Not every ps5 owner is interests in every game that is released on ps5 as of now. that is potential sales lost. And worst, you have to deal with other region, not purchasing your game.

Hope you learn how sales are conducted first, before you jump on the gun.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
UK SALES! Where sales matter when sales matter!

...It will have been really low numbers...But percentages!

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Op, There is something called world wide audience. your chart is specifically UK. It wont be the same as those other countries. MM would be do poorly in Japanese market, compared to the UK sales, While persona will do amazing in the Japanese market, compared to the UK. Returnal same. UK chart isnt the answer to the worldwide audience.

So far, ps5 has sold over 7.8m as of April 28. That is worldwide sales. not just UK. only 15% of ps4 uk owners bought the game, while 48% bought it there. But do you know how much did re8 sold on UK? That is the problem of your sales. Until we have worldwide data, releasing those games on next gen is a losing business. Not every ps5 owner is interests in every game that is released on ps5 as of now. that is potential sales lost. And worst, you have to deal with other region, not purchasing your game.

Hope you learn how sales are conducted first, before you jump on the gun.
Feel free to present the data you have. Or make a thread when we do have other data that shows different. I wont stop you.

Right now, this is the best and ONLY indicator of cross gen sales performance we have. It's a valid comparison until other sales results get posted.

Stuart360

I wouldnt look at last gen numbers too much at this moment in time. Both PS5 and XSX are supply constrained in most places, meaning there are still a lot of the hardcore hell bent on getting one, and not bothering buying last gen games.
I'm sure its the more casual console gamers that are still stook on las gen, and probably are not the kind of people who rush for the next big game at launch. I think last gen will perform more like PC with new games, slower start, but more consistent sales over the coming months.

hemo memo

Gold Member
for Sony PS4 was 25% of RE8 sales. that isn't exactly small change.

and majority of PS+ subscribers are still on PS4. they can't end support for the biggest revenue base.
But they also don’t have to lie and they should have been be clear about the cross-gen strategy from the start.

I am not saying they should cancel them.

I am saying first party studios shouldve never started them as PS4 titles.

whats the big deal anyway? we can play these games on ps5 with a bunch of enhancments not available on ps4. horizon looked damn good to me. if you wasnt impressed by that atleast a little bit than you got some high ass expectations and standards. just enjoy the games and watch out for new announcements of ps5 only games. theres probably a lot coming.

tkscz

Ok so are we really ignoring that this is just the UK and that the example here is one game?

I'll admit on first post I didn't read the article just the title, so to double check I read the article and nope, just the UK.

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
Feel free to present the data you have. Or make a thread when we do have other data that shows different. I wont stop you.

Right now, this is the best and ONLY indicator of cross gen sales performance we have. It's a valid comparison until other sales results get posted.

according to this articale, re8 shipped 3m. Its impressive numbers. Until you consider that number is worldwide. on both gen (115m, 50m) and the current gen, with pc. then you find the data of uk ps4-5 sales from that number. and divide it the 85-15 ratio. That number is very weak. that is not what sony want. they need 10m sales at least. and ps5 hasnt reached that number.

Pull n Pray

Banned
I'm pretty sure Jim's takeaway from these statistics will be:

1. Cross gen games sell great on PS5.
2. Releasing 1st party games only on PS5 could reduce revenue by 25%.

CitizenZ

Banned
Steam alone has close to 2 million, so you are saying it sold almost 8 million copies just on PS5, nah fam.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

good numbers,in japan the split is in favor of PS4 by alot so it should vary by region,it helps the PS4 version of VILLAGE is very good

sn0man

31% on Xbox, for anyone interested. It wasnt included for some reason..

I found this interesting -

Werent we just told not long ago that both Playstation and Xbox were over 80% digital now?
Veering into a side story but folks say physical is dead because you can get games immediately and without leaving the house but most retailers aren’t stupid and aggressively try and mail stuff in the 24 hours around release. I would still argue that if your goal is to play ASAP then digital is best but I’m fine waiting for first impressions and in some cases definitive editions.

Birdo

Banned
Early adopters are the playerbase that buy games like RE.

The vast majority are COD/FIFA gamers (Who are still on PS4).

Last edited:
Really? When? When they put GT7 as PS5 exclusive? Or when they deliberately hide the fact that Miles and other cross-gen games are not PS5 exclusive? Or when they believed in generations? Please enlighten me.

I've mentioned in other thread, GT7 was an outlier. What changed lately, who knows. Year ago Miles Morales was announced as PlayStation exclusive, Horizon FW announced as PlayStation exclusive So, cut the crap. Next-gen games like Demon's Souls, Returnal, Ratchet and Astro are PS5 games only. Next-gen games delivered. Cheers

SlimySnake

Early adopters are the playerbase that buy games like RE.

The vast majority are COD/FIFA gamers (Who are still on PS4).
Sony doesnt make Fifa and CoD.

PS3, PS4, and even PS2 had FIFA and Madden support for years after the next gen consoles were released.

GoW isnt Fifa. and Horizon isnt Madden. And People who buy Sony consoles on day one dont care about Fifa, CoD or Madden.

SlimySnake

Maybe they hit a snag in the crunch-heavy months leading up to PS5 release. Did anything happen in 2020?
Dont blame the pandemic for this. This decision was made in 2017 when China was still developing the coronavirus in the Wuhan lab. China created a bioweapon in time for a 2020 release while Sony couldnt get a next gen Horizon ready for a 2020 PS5 launch.

just a joke, not a conspiracy theory Evillore.

sn0man

Dont blame the pandemic for this. This decision was made in 2017 when China was still developing the coronavirus in the Wuhan lab. China created a bioweapon in time for a 2020 release while Sony couldnt get a next gen Horizon ready for a 2020 PS5 launch.

just a joke, not a conspiracy theory Evillore.
No I agree, Microsoft paid China to create the rona with money Laundered by Trump academy into the Fauci secret bio weapons division. They knew the PS5 was going to launch too powerfully so they decided to slow the world down. I get it.

:lollipop_hushed:🔐

AlexxKidd

The 60% is before it was taken off Playstation.

Even if it was (which I'm not sure it was, the game was removed from PSN within a week), it was known at release how shit the game ran on consoles so many stayed away from it unless they had it pre-ordered. Contrast that to the Witcher 3, which in its initial year sold 48 percent on PlayStation to 31 percent PC.

Astral Dog

good thing the game appears to be selling well on all systems then.

at first i also hoped RE8 was next gen only as advertised by Capcom,(sneaky) but then its clear the game was always designed to be cross gen, i rather they deliver a quality cross gen game for more sales early on and then focus on making RE IX using the full capabilities of the systems.PS4 still sold far more in japan. 8 is both a good PS4 game and a good PS5 game

because VILLAGE is actually the swan song of last gen, game has been in dev since before RE7 released

hemo memo

Gold Member
I've mentioned in other thread, GT7 was an outlier. What changed lately, who knows. Year ago Miles Morales was announced as PlayStation exclusive, Horizon FW announced as PlayStation exclusive So, cut the crap. Next-gen games like Demon's Souls, Returnal, Ratchet and Astro are PS5 games only. Next-gen games delivered. Cheers
No. GT7 is not just an outlier. It is the whole stupid strategy since Jimbo took his role. You don’t talk about how your new powerful console will change game design with a clear presentation and follow that up with “Believe in generations” bullshit and make most of your games cross-gen unless It is deliberate or a sudden change which is even worse.

AmuroChan

It's too late at this point. Cross-gen games that are already in development aren't changing course at this point. Games that are starting development now are probably next-gen only anyway since we won't see them for 3-4 years.

Stuart360

Even if it was (which I'm not sure it was, the game was removed from PSN within a week), it was known at release how shit the game ran on consoles so many stayed away from it unless they had it pre-ordered. Contrast that to the Witcher 3, which in its initial year sold 48 percent on PlayStation to 31 percent PC.
Someone posted the tweet from CDPR Twitter yesterday in another thread. It was from 3 days after launch, '12mil sales, 60% on PC etc'.

EDIT. And you dont want to go The Witcher 3 route, it ended up selling more on PC then anywhere else. This was discussed yesterday, its a little different on PC due the sheer amount of games available, and the amount of games that have playing communities. New games usually start lower on PC, but have more consistent sales over time, compared to cosnoles which are more like the movie business, huge first 2 or 3 weeks, then fall off a cliff.

Last edited:
No. GT7 is not just an outlier. It is the whole stupid strategy since Jimbo took his role. You don’t talk about how your new powerful console will change game design with a clear presentation and follow that up with “Believe in generations” bullshit and make most of your games cross-gen unless It is deliberate or a sudden change which is even worse.

GT7 is an outlier because it was advertised as PS5 only game. Returnal and Ratchet delivered what Cerny talked about SSD and games designed around that. End of story. Jim delivered next-gen games, next-gen controller, 3D audio, so, "we believe in generations" statement stand. As he mentioned these things under "we believe in generations". But of course, some people can't read and took everything out of context.

Last edited:
Top Bottom