• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Note to Jim Ryan: 43% of RE8 sales were on PS5. Only 15% on PS4.

NickFire

Time to move on from the cross gen complaints IMO. It's just barking at shadows unless you want games cancelled and their development restarted.

Mr Moose

lol I am getting it from all sides today. "Why didnt you say its UK only sales?" It's literally the first sentence my man. "Why didnt you include Xbox? What is your agenda!?!!" It is right there in the only quote posted in the OP.
Must want Jim Ryan to do something about Xbox, too.

Roufianos

I mean, Hitman 3 sold double on PS5 right at the start of the year so RE8's figures are no surprise at all. By the time GOW II releases, Sony will be lucky if even 1/5 of sales are on PS4.

And we already knew this from last-gen, go into GAF's NPD archive and look at how much better games like Dragon Age Inquisition and Far Cry 4 sold on PS4/X1 than PS3 and 360. Once the core audience upgrades, sales collapse.

Three

UK Sales only because NPD doesn't believe in releasing numbers anymore.

Here is the relevant bit.

This comes after Spiderman Miles continues to top the chart every other week whenever they get PS5s in stock clearly showing that a large number of people were waiting to buy it on PS5. Not to mention the fact that we are only in May 2021 so by the time Horizon, GoW and GT7 launch next year, the userbase should be doubled skewing these numbers in favor of PS5 even more.

This isnt new btw. We saw similar splits with cross gen games like Watch Dogs and Destiny last gen.

Sauce:

Does this mean RE8 is a crap game because it launched on PS4 and should have been PS5 only?

UK is one country. A lot of countries PS5 is nowhere near in terms of sales to PS4 titles. Especially the more developing ones. The dev studio and Jim have better numbers than us so trying to convince anyone with this is futile.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Does this mean RE8 is a crap game because it launched on PS4 and should have been PS5 only?
Friday Movie GIF

Last edited:

martino

This comes after Spiderman Miles continues to top the chart every other week whenever they get PS5s in stock clearly showing that a large number of people were waiting to buy it on PS5. Not to mention the fact that we are only in May 2021 so by the time Horizon, GoW and GT7 launch next year, the userbase should be doubled skewing these numbers in favor of PS5 even more.

This isnt new btw. We saw similar splits with cross gen games like Watch Dogs and Destiny last gen.

Sauce:

11% physical sales on pc ! that's huge !
when physical i can expect pc to be 0%

Last edited:

AlexxKidd

Someone posted the tweet from CDPR Twitter yesterday in another thread. It was from 3 days after launch, '12mil sales, 60% on PC etc'.

As I said, even if it was...

It was known at release how shit the game ran on consoles so many stayed away from it unless they had it pre-ordered.

You trying to ignore the scandal around Cyberpunk's console performance and acting like that didn't play a factor in the game's sales? Fuck outta here.

And you dont want to go The Witcher 3 route, it ended up selling more on PC then anywhere else. This was discussed yesterday, its a little different on PC due the sheer amount of games available, and the amount of games that have playing communities. New games usually start lower on PC, but have more consistent sales over time, compared to cosnoles which are more like the movie business, huge first 2 or 3 weeks, then fall off a cliff.

Why do I "not want to go" The Witcher 3 route? I know the game "ended up" selling more on PC, which is why I clearly stated (if you can read) "in it's initial year" it sold more on PS. Also, games in their first year sell at full price or close to it, so W3 sold the most on PlayStation before it went into its constant bargain bin $10 sales promotions left and right on PC and console that I remember very well

yurinka

Sauce:

UK retail sales of a couple of games means shit, it isn't relevant at all.

This is the important and why Sony always keep supporting a home console during 2 or 3 years after the release of its successor, most of their active players are still playing on PS4 (plus the ones who bought a PS4 and weren't active that month) and will continue there for a while:

image.png

Last edited:

Rudius

This was the case for the PS3 to PS4 transition as well. Hardcore players buy much more stuff and move on the next gen quickly. Except for more casual games, like sports and free to pay staying cross gen for too long is worthless.

Stuart360

As I said, even if it was...

You trying to ignore the scandal around Cyberpunk's console performance and acting like that didn't play a factor in the game's sales? Fuck outta here.

Why do I "not want to go" The Witcher 3 route? I know the game "ended up" selling more on PC, which is why I clearly stated (if you can read) "in it's initial year" it sold more on PS. Also, games in their first year sell at full price or close to it, so W3 sold the most on PlayStation before it went into its constant bargain bin $10 sales promotions left and right on PC and console that I remember very well
200.gif

Dude relax, its really not that important.

Allandor

looks like a relative normal early gen attach-rate for such a game.
Not everyone on PS4 is interested in RE8 and even less want to pay full price for such a game. On the other side, people that already bought the new console attach a bit faster as they are more willing to pay launch-prices.

hlm666

This is probably showing why they have decided to keep supporting ps4 with their first party for longer.

From the article linked.
"Almost 2.1 million games were sold (digital and physical) in the UK during May, according to GSD. That's a drop of 39% over the same period the year before, when the industry was seeing strong sales as a result of the COVID-19 lockdown."

JaksGhost

It's already happening. Beating your chests every day about this decision is only going to make you fall deeper into the void you've created for yourself.

SSfox

This was the case for the PS3 to PS4 transition as well. Hardcore players buy much more stuff and move on the next gen quickly. Except for more casual games, like sports and free to pay staying cross gen for too long is worthless.
I think MGSV sold like 10% of PS360 and 90% on PS4, Xbox One, i excepted something silimar in most crossgen of this generation and seems i was right.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
You do realize that's over 1/3rd of their Playstation sales? lol

Would be a great business decision to just dump 1/3rd of your launch revenue, and also lose whatever long-tail revenue you'd get from the game selling on PS4 for years... just to make some loud fanboys happy.

People would also start losing interest in their PS4s.. and engagement would go down, AKA not buy other games or MTX as much, if it started to dry up.. and there is literally no reason to have that happen when PS5 is selling out in seconds, or is at a price higher than casuals would jump in.

Last edited:
I am not saying they should cancel them.

I am saying first party studios shouldve never started them as PS4 titles.

it doesnt work that way, there are games that take a fair amount of time you cant expect studios to be idle, in the case of sequels most will be very similar to the first game, sure a design based on the new hardware is great and open lot of possibilities but it doesnt mean you cant improve on the old systems at least to a certain extent, there is a reason why first year games on a new system usually dont show what a system is capable of, you can "believe in generations" and at the same time properly finishing a project that already started in the past gen

sn0man

GT7 is an outlier because it was advertised as PS5 only game. Returnal and Ratchet delivered what Cerny talked about SSD and games designed around that. End of story. Jim delivered next-gen games, next-gen controller, 3D audio, so, "we believe in generations" statement stand. As he mentioned these things under "we believe in generations". But of course, some people can't read and took everything out of context.
If GT7 is just cars, single player, and ray tracing bolted onto GTS engine, then there is an easy port there for 1440p non ray tracing long load times PS4 Pro port. It’s better to me that it’s cross gen. Best of all worlds and ensure the PS5 version has rock solid frame rates.

Three

I mean, Hitman 3 sold double on PS5 right at the start of the year so RE8's figures are no surprise at all. By the time GOW II releases, Sony will be lucky if even 1/5 of sales are on PS4.

And we already knew this from last-gen, go into GAF's NPD archive and look at how much better games like Dragon Age Inquisition and Far Cry 4 sold on PS4/X1 than PS3 and 360. Once the core audience upgrades, sales collapse.
The issue is that a large portion of them can't upgrade since there is no stock. over time if there are no PS4 releases at all they lose that customer who can't buy a PS5. The sane thing to do would be to create PS5 only titles taking full advantage of the hardware and some spread out crossgen titles to keep the current PS4 install base while they restock and sell PS5s, inticing them with PS5 only titles too.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I really dont buy this excuse. Cerny talked about how they had implemented kraken support in their i/o going back to 2017. If anyone knows what the spec target was, its the first party studios. Hell, Team ICE at ND was directly involved in the PS4 design. GG is up there with Team ICE. There is no way they didnt know since they literally created a launch game for the PS4. You think they started development on KZSD AFTER they got the devkits?

No, you start with PC parts and go from there. It's just how it's always been. Kojima started MGS4 dev on PC. Before the PS3 even had a GPU. Sony produced Resistance, Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword, Ratchet, Uncharted, and Warhawk in the first year of the notoriously hard to develop for PS3 with a cell processor that was supposed to double up as a GPU. PS3 didnt even get a GPU until a year before it came out. Devs still managed to figure it out.

AMD had 12 tflops GPUs out by 2016. They had 8 core 16 thread Zen CPUs out by 2017. SSDs have been around since 2011. They had all the tools in the world to start development just like they have in the years past.
EnchantingExemplaryHoverfly-max-1mb.gif

it still blows my mind that people really think that there was not a ps5 comparable hardware in 2017 (2018 for gow).

sure the ssd was not as fast, but cpu and gpu were kinda similar or even more powerfull, and i take a game developed around similar but not precise ps5 spec over a game developed around ps4 hardware ANY DAY OF THE WEEK, how is this even a fucking narrative or a doubt for anyone to begin with?!?

Sony decided to start the game on ps4, this was never a question of having some insurmountable hardware problem to face if they decided to develop with ps5 in mind.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Then they would have had to wait and the games wouldn't be out till 2023/4. Sony can never win. With PS4 everyone complained that 2013 PS3 games weren't cross gen now they are at least making better versions for the new hardware.

...nobody did this. Nor did they complain when nearly all PS3 games were exclusive, or when nearly all Ps2 games were exclusive. Everybody was just excited to play new games on a new console.

The rewriting of history around here trying to justify this greedy bullshit is quite something.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
If in early 2021 is 3 to 1 for ps5 what will be number in late 2022, 6 to 1, higher ?
yes. Here are some MGSV splits which launched in 2015, the same timeframe as GoW and GT7 will. (1.5 years after next gen launch)

Another story is that the PS4 version of Metal Gear Solid 5 is absolutely dominating the Xbox One version, with a 72% share to Xbox One’s 22%. Between the series’ history of PlayStation consoles (it’s been sporadically multiplatform, but has deep roots with Sony ) and the fact that PS4 has practically double the market share of the XB1, this isn’t a huge surprise, but it’s still something to see.

But rather, I was most interested to see that despite being a multiplatform release across four consoles and PC, only 5% of the game’s market share is being split between the PS3 (3%) and the Xbox 360 (2%).

So Sony is punishing 95% of the PS5 market for 5% of the PS4 market.

Watch Dogs which came out 6 months after launch sold 2/3rd of its 8 million copies on next gen consoles and PC. So the numbers are roughly on par with what we are seeing here with RE8 which also came out 8 months after launch.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I think many of you overestimate how different a game would be coming out if they ditched PS4.

Games aren't going to dramatically change this gen outside of the graphics being better. They certainly wouldn't be that different early in a generation either. And in particular, for Sony.. their cross-gen games have stellar next-gen graphics.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
EnchantingExemplaryHoverfly-max-1mb.gif

it still blows my mind that people really think that there was not a ps5 comparable hardware in 2017 (2018 for gow).

sure the ssd was not as fast, but cpu and gpu were kinda similar or even more powerfull, and i take a game developed around similar but not precise ps5 spec over a game developed around ps4 hardare ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

Sony decided to start the game on ps4, this was never a question of having some insurmountable hardware problem to face if they decided to develop with ps5 in mind.
2017 and 2018 were the perfect time to start development on next gen only titles. Thats 2.5 - 3.5 years before launch. Plenty of time to get a next gen game ready for launch year. Demon Souls and Ratchet are smaller in scope but were done in 2-2.5 years. Give GoW and Horizon an extra year to build up the userbase and extra dev time, and it all works itself out.

GymWolf

2017 and 2018 were the perfect time to start development on next gen only titles. Thats 2.5 - 3.5 years before launch. Plenty of time to get a next gen game ready for launch year. Demon Souls and Ratchet are smaller in scope but were done in 2-2.5 years. Give GoW and Horizon an extra year to build up the userbase and extra dev time, and it all works itself out.
Again, thank you.

kyliethicc

Sauce:

Goes to show you that the hardcore have pretty much already bought their PS5s. Releasing Horizon, God of War and GT7 on PS4 is useless.

"Jim look RE8 sold well."

"Good I made lots of money."

"But look only 15% on PS4! Cross gen is bad right? No more?"

"So it sold more copies.. because it was cross gen?"

"... umm, yes."

"Son, I want to make more money, not less. Now fuck off."

gtHm0bf.gif

Last edited:

Brigandier

So Jim... Playstation sells the most consoles yet again this generation and also has the most software units sold by an enormous number, Playstation profits are at a record level.... Just how did you do it???

"Simple I took advice from a Neogaf poster called SlimySnake"

SLB1904

Banned
They did. For those who read. :/
tenor.gif

Really? When? When they put GT7 as PS5 exclusive? Or when they deliberately hide the fact that Miles and other cross-gen games are not PS5 exclusive? Or when they believed in generations? Please enlighten me.
ratchet, returnal and demons
giphy.gif

UK only. And digital data not available. Enough said.

is it now?
lets hope you keep this energy when a sony exclusive underperform in uk charts

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

yes. Here are some MGSV splits which launched in 2015, the same timeframe as GoW and GT7 will. (1.5 years after next gen launch)

So Sony is punishing 95% of the PS5 market for 5% of the PS4 market.

Watch Dogs which came out 6 months after launch sold 2/3rd of its 8 million copies on next gen consoles and PC. So the numbers are roughly on par with what we are seeing here with RE8 which also came out 8 months after launch.
did their excel lost column with historical data ? sad

ZywyPL

Banned

But no one will make a game for 4-5 years just to reach such a small audience. For exaple - GoW4 sold in around 20M copies with about 120M PS4 users out, so simple math only ~15% of the userbase was interested in the game. Now apply the same 15% to let's say 15M PS5 that will most likey reach the market bybthe end of the year, and it doesn't make any sense at all financially. And no, despite what fanboys try to inply, many/most people don't buy the consoles for exclusives.

ViolentP

Note to random internet forum person: selling a game to a wider audience has a better chance of turning profit.

Top Bottom