• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Note to Jim Ryan: 43% of RE8 sales were on PS5. Only 15% on PS4.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Would that percentage have changed if Sony did not remove it from the store? I'm not challenging you. Just curious about your opinion.
Nah. This was all preorder and day one info. Cybperunk sold 14 million copies in the first week or something like that. nearly all were preorders. 8 million were on PC. 6 on consoles. All last gen because there was no current gen version.

Sony didnt remove it until after those numbers were already announced IIRC.

There is no doubt the numbers hurt CD project because as Spiderman Miles shows, a lot of people were just waiting to buy the game on next gen consoles. Miles has now outsold both Ghost of Tshushima and TLOU2 AND FF7 remake after posting somewhat disappointing first month sales. According to NPD's 12 month sales period back in April. I guess It's possible that six months later the next gen consoles wouldve overtaken the PC version sales.

ZywyPL

Banned
is it now?
lets hope you keep this energy when a sony exclusive underperform in uk charts

This is just one country. And no digital data whatsoever, which is known to make like 60-70% of total sales. So all on all, it proves absolutely nothing on how much the game sold on both last and new gen consoles, what's the real split, but I know for sure that if someone has the most accurate data on the planet, it's exactly Jim Ryan. It's his job to know.

And I have to say, I find it really hilarious when people shit on him for what he's doing, only to give him standing ovations whenever be drops financial reports. Those numbers wouldn't look how they look if he followed what fanboys and armchair accountants from Neogaf say, hypocrisy at its finest I guess. Buy like I said, he has all the numbers, and he follows where the money is, hence the results.

SLB1904

Banned
This is just one country. And no digital data whatsoever, which is known to make like 60-70% of total sales.
tenor.png

So all on all, it proves absolutely nothing on how much the game sold on both last and new gen consoles, what's the real split, but I know for sure that if someone has the most accurate data on the planet, it's exactly Jim Ryan. It's his job to know.
tenor.png

And I have to say, I find it really hilarious when people shit on him for what he's doing, only to give him standing ovations whenever be drops financial reports. Those numbers wouldn't look how they look if he followed what fanboys and armchair accountants from Neogaf say, hypocrisy at its finest I guess. Buy like I said, he has all the numbers, and he follows where the money is, hence the results.
AffectionateGrippingHochstettersfrog-size_restricted.gif

hence the ''keep the same energy when a ps5 exclusive underperforms in the UK physically''. ask that dude bent or bernt [/quote]

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
But no one will make a game for 4-5 years just to reach such a small audience. For exaple - GoW4 sold in around 20M copies with about 120M PS4 users out, so simple math only ~15% of the userbase was interested in the game. Now apply the same 15% to let's say 15M PS5 that will most likey reach the market bybthe end of the year, and it doesn't make any sense at all financially. And no, despite what fanboys try to inply, many/most people don't buy the consoles for exclusives.
It's not simple math because the hardcore gamers are who buy games on day one. And hardcore gamers are who buy consoles on day one or year one. There is a reason why RE8, Hitman, Outriders, and Spiderman Miles have a huge 3:1 sales advantage. The hardcore are already on next gen consoles and they are the ones who spend the most money. Not the casuals who just buy one cod or madden or fifa game a year and move on. The hardcore are who buy exclusives at full price. Jenny from the block is not buying Horizon for $70. Never will.

I have posted last gen sales figures. The data is there. Watch Dogs. 2/3rd sales on next gen consoles and PC after six months. MGSV which launched a year later was 95-5%. Witcher 3, a third party game, came out before MGSV and was next gen only and broke records. Witcher 3 came out 18 months after launch in the second spring of next gen launch. Same as GoW, Horizon and GT7. There is no reason to sweat sales 1.5 years after launch. Zero.

And they are first party. Their only job is to get people to upgrade by showing off what the console can do. The profits they make from digital store sales, royalties, PS+ subs and other system services is far beyond the millions they make from 2-3 next gen exclusives every year.

This is just one country. And no digital data whatsoever, which is known to make like 60-70% of total sales. So all on all, it proves absolutely nothing on how much the game sold on both last and new gen consoles, what's the real split, but I know for sure that if someone has the most accurate data on the planet, it's exactly Jim Ryan. It's his job to know.

Yeyeye we get it wait for the digital sales. Are you one of those other delusionals who think 75% of digital sales were on Xbox too without a single shred of evidence?
Sony have already said most games they sell are 50/50 split physical and digital.
If Sony has that lion share of physical it’s obvious they also have same Share digital.

On the other hand I’ve seen so many posts on gaf regarding 3 parties saying ‘il wait for it to go on gamepass’ such as bio mutant. Not every 3rd party goes to game pass but looks like their own fans are killing sales on their console of choice.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
SlimySnake SlimySnake Maybe you're right, but still, the games would need to have like 70-90% attach rate on those small userbases to meet the expectations.

And think about like that - if it wasn't for the same, common x86 architecture, those games would never arrive on PS5, just like GoW2 was released only on PS2, or GT6 that arrived only on PS3. If PS5 was using some differen, fancy tech like the Cell again, none of those games would even arrive on that platform, and it would have even more dry first few years than the PS4. So all in all I really do think it's actually a good thing those games are cross-gen, instead of not appearing on next-gen console at all. As always, people don't appreciate what they have until they lose it.

Hence the ''keep the same energy when a ps5 exclusive underperforms in the UK physically''. ask that dude bent or bernt

Will do buddy, if that will let you sleep at night.

They release cross-games now because PS5 is in short supply and the shortage will continue well into 2022. This is effecting many electronic companies during this pandemic (employees out on quarantine and area shutdowns). Manufacturing has been behind on getting components out. So because Sony cannot just sell anyone a PS5 for a while, they release a PS4 version for those unable to find a PS5 yet. Because if they made it PS5 only, 2 years down the road when those people find a PS5, the game becomes old news and no one cares.

synce

11% on PC seems unusually low. Would wager most of the people picking this up are casual gamers who just saw booba on twitter.

Raonak

Banned
Note to the slimy boy: 15% is still a relatively high percentage. It's just extra/free money.

The primary reason they're even releasing crossgen games is because PS5s are hard to find ATM.
They don't want people jumping to xbox, they want PS4 players locked in.
so now, people who buy the PS4 version, will lean towards getting a PS5 - because now they already have a PS5 game.
It makes sense this early into the generation, to have a lineup of both exclusives and crossgen games.

Last edited:

odhiex

What do you mean, OP? Of course, Sony would gladly take that 15% additional sales from the PS4, as well. Jimbo ain't dumb.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
What do you mean, OP? Of course, Sony would gladly take that 15% additional money from the PS4 as well. Jimbo ain't dumb.
It's ~35% additional money from a Playstation revenue standpoint, for this particular game.

I keep pointing that out to people in this thread and they don't respond lol

Tmack

One has to consider that giving the limited library offered on the PS5, games released for the plattaform and the PS4 tend to sell much better on the ps5 due to the lack of options.

Top Bottom