• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Notice how XBox is quietly doing well?

pr0cs

Don't really understand the point of this kind of thread,unless for trolling.
Microsoft has a do or die situation next gen, they're spending a ton of dough and I suspect there Will be serious repercussions if it doesn't pay off in spades

Elenchus

Banned
Definitely a big fan of their new direction! Wouldn’t worry too much about any vgchartz numbers being tossed around. GAF being GAF, MS’s annual earnings reports and record growth in gaming revenue are completely ignored in favor of blind guesses on hardware sales.

Think it would’ve been great for Phil to fix the software issue at the same time he was fixing the hardware issue but I don’t think he had the backing for both. Given the choice, I agree with his call to do hardware first. The 1X has completely changed the perception of Xbox hardware. That was no easy feat.

A few new exclusives running at 720p would’ve been ignored so hardware had to come first in my opinion. Titanfall is one of the most innovative games released this gen and was completely disregarded because it was 792p. Sunset Overdrive, same thing. The idea that resolutiongate could be ignored is kinda silly. Hardware had to be fixed.

Now we turn to software and I like that their being so aggressive about recruiting talent. Again, would’ve been great if both could’ve happened simultaneously but I am not sure that was possible. Next gen is looking pretty good from where I’m standing.

Ixiah

Banned
If its "quietly" why would we notice it ?
On the other hand, they still havent released one single Major First Party game that would make a lot of People consider getting an Xbone, but hey, spend 2,5 Billion on Minecraft, why bother financing 5 Destinys or 25 God of Wars.

PocoJoe

Banned
Yeah XBOX is kind of dead in EU.

At Finland playstation has dominated since ps1. I know only few people that own xbox, and i know 100+ gamers, most have playstation and/or pc and some have switch too.

Xbox can compete with PS in usa so maybe it makes it feel like it is as big thing in all around dunno.

Same with switch, it sells greatly in us/japan/some countries but not so well in many. Sony usually sells well in all around I think.

My friend had only gaming store in downtown for maybe a year, he said that 80% of customers wanted playstation games and it were really hard to sell xbox games

Nickolaidas

Banned
I think MS is self-sabotaging itself. By making all current and future XBOX games console exclusive (which means you can also get them on your pc), it immediately gives you a second option to buy these exclusives. You want Bloodborne? Tough luck - buy a PS4. You want Gears of War 4? You can play it on your PC - no need to buy an Xbox for it.

This is detrimental to the console's sales, IMO.

Three

Xbox the console is loudly doing bad
or silently doing bad not sure which.

Last edited:

Skyfox

Powerful console gaming is top priority to me. I have a Switch and a Pro and a 1X.

When devs don’t put the effort into the most powerful console (I’m looking at you resi 2) it stunts the whole industry.

Have some respect. Xbox has made monster efforts the last few years and the 1X deserves better.

Last edited:

Flayer

What does quietly doing well even mean? Xbox continues to exist in last place this gen. They are still selling xboxs, which is good I guess? The main issue with Xbox in general is that there is no compelling reason to get an Xbox over a PS4 while PS4 has a few really great exclusive games that tilt any direct comparison in its favour.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
ok....

they turned it around and good on them. wouldn't call myself a fan boy and i don't think even the most hardcore fanboys really thought Xbox was going anywhere or would want them to go anywhere. it's good that microsoft are doing well. competition benefits everyone. that's why i don't believe in the whole fanboy stuff. i'm more of a Playstation person myself but i would be devastated if Xbox disappeared because it'd mean that Sony could do whatever they wanted and get away with it.

Look at the PC market....you have Intel/AMD/Nvidia fanboys. Before AMD released Ryzen then Intel could stick to 4 core CPUs and charge thousands for anything more powerful. Now with Ryzen they were forced to release 6 and 8 core CPUs and their HEDT line up is pretty much dead or not worth buying at all. Nvidia can currently charge over £1,100 for their top end RTX GPU....because AMD can't compete with them. The lower end cards like the 2060/2070 are more reasonable because that's where AMD can compete.

Now imagine if the only console you could buy was a PS4 and it was weak as shit and cost £800 at launch instead of £380. Not that great for anyone but Sony.

Last edited:

Hotspurr

Banned
They are doing well in some places.
The X is as promised a 4K console (for the most part). The Pro is a half assed attempt at the same.
Gamepass beats out anything Sony has on offer.
Sony blows it out if the water in terms of high quality exclusives.

The thing for me is that the best games are multiplatform (I am not a fan of walking simulators or "movies", which seems to be a trend with Sony games). So I just want the best hardware to play those on my 4K HDR TV, so it's an easy choice.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
They're doing better, but the second half of this generation has been a huge disappointment. It's like they're ready to get past this generation and start the next.

HeresJohnny

Selling less than half the number of consoles as the market leader while pounding your chest and showing your ass at every turn isn't well or quiet.

HeresJohnny

They're doing better, but the second half of this generation has been a huge disappointment. It's like they're ready to get past this generation and start the next.

True, and the funny thing is, they just released $500 hardware that becomes obsolete as soon as the next generation starts in less than a year. You'd think they'd be trying to make sure those people aren't feeling like they got butt pounded.

Z..

it does for. the ratio at quality to quantity. but overall. not really. it didn't have that many games.
Of course it did, the Saturn's Japanese library is stupid good and filled to the brim with fantastic games you can't find anywhere else. It outsold the N64 there for a reason. Much like the PC Engine, it's western library is but a glimpse of the true breadth of stuff available!
The xbox one has only a couple of exclusives, literally! The Saturn has dozens upon dozens of them, being a legitimate contender for best exclusives library of all time!

next gen is pretty much gonna be end of 2020 so its going to be a very long wait....i think they released the x at a pretty good time tbh

Vawn

Banned
I'm confused. What is the point of this thread? Xbox fans celebrating the fact that Microsoft hasn't halted production on the Xbox brand?

Kagey K

Banned
I'm confused. What is the point of this thread? Xbox fans celebrating the fact that Microsoft hasn't halted production on the Xbox brand?
No, that would be the MS: We haven’t halted production yet.....yet thread.

This is something else?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's in an equilibrium state.

PS gamers can't keep brag about sales leads and 1080p anymore because X is pumping out the best multiplats and there's been lots of great stuff MS has been doing lately with the OS, crossplay, BC etc.....

Xbox gamers can't brag about having the most powerful system because PS has the best SP first party games and is getting outsold 2:1.

For next gen, if one side checks off all the boxes...... get ready for fanboy wars again.

Of course it did, the Saturn's Japanese library is stupid good and filled to the brim with fantastic games you can't find anywhere else. It outsold the N64 there for a reason. Much like the PC Engine, it's western library is but a glimpse of the true breadth of stuff available!
The xbox one has only a couple of exclusives, literally! The Saturn has dozens upon dozens of them, being a legitimate contender for best exclusives library of all time!

Brah The Saturn was 5.9 million to the N64s 5.54 and the N64 had a two year delay and the Saturn had a two year head start.

That's basically a tie but more of a win for the N64 than the Saturn. Let's not overrate the Saturns Japanese library in performance. In or outside Japan.

MilkyJoe

I think MS is self-sabotaging itself. By making all current and future XBOX games console exclusive (which means you can also get them on your pc), it immediately gives you a second option to buy these exclusives. You want Bloodborne? Tough luck - buy a PS4. You want Gears of War 4? You can play it on your PC - no need to buy an Xbox for it.

I'm pretty sure they've run the numbers and the 90 million active steam users are an easier target to sell software to than expecting them to buy hardware.

ROMhack

Expected statistics, didn't get any.

I think Xbox One is alright really. I don't own one though so take it with a pinch of salt.

Last edited:
What is it about the Xbox brand that makes certain people want to constantly shill for it?

They get exclusive Zune Bucks did you know? 🤑🤑🤑

Honestly though I think you have shills with each of the Console Makers, it's just that Xbox fans look a little too zealous with MS performance.

Last edited:

Xbox has been hearing this since 2001 and this imaginary event still hasn't happened.

WaterAstro

They're very loud, and they're not doing well, so, no, I don't see them "quietly doing well".

Other parts of Microsoft are keeping their gaming division going.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Honestly though I think you have shills with each of the Console Makers, it's just that Xbox fans look a little too zealous with MS performance.
When the company itself won't release official sales numbers, why play "make-believe console wars" when in reality you have both arms tied behind your back?

The Xbox fans who actually care about this "news" already know.
The non-Xbox fans already heard about how Xbox is "poised to dominate" and how it is "doing so much better" ad nauseum.

The reason Xbox is in this (subjective) rut is directly due to their own poor decisions, not due to a long series of aggressive marketing campaigns or due to poor market conditions.

This thread is one big corporate S-s-senpai notice meeeee!

Z..

Brah The Saturn was 5.9 million to the N64s 5.54 and the N64 had a two year delay and the Saturn had a two year head start.

That's basically a tie but more of a win for the N64 than the Saturn. Let's not overrate the Saturns Japanese library in performance. In or outside Japan.

Brah N64 kept being sold for years after Sega pulled the plug on everything, remember? Also, let's not forget Sega's inept history in Japan until the Saturn came out (it was their only truly successful console over there) and how Nintendo's situation was entirely different, having heavily dominated the two previous gens over there. Remember how the SNES also came out 2 years after the Mega Drive in Japan? Why do you suppose the story was different that time around considering how great the Mega Drive's library is? Remember, the Playstation released only 10 days after the Saturn.
If by performance you mean sales, you're right... if you mean available titles you're off your meds. It has one of the most impressive libraries of all time if you're into arcade games. It's probably the king of arcade libraries, all things considered.
Xbox One has literally 12 exclusive releases, 2 of which are compilation releases and 8 of which are garbage... All things considered the Xbox One has 3 good titles you can't play anywhere else: Halo 5, Battletoads Arcade and Forza 5. How in the hell is that an apt comparison to the Saturn's library?

Shin

Banned
Beside the RROD that happen back then, something that can/could or did happen to most electronic manufacturer at some point of their existence, Xbox has been doing well yes.
As a platform holder in this industry it seems nearly impossible to not be profitable in the present day with all the services/models to back them up, even when Y or Z is missing (subjective).
Both sides had a huge loss during the previous generation, one because of hardware failure, the other because of components chosen and/or selling price point, but it's a drop in the bucket of what they are making now.
If we're talking about games lacking from 1st parties that would be true, yet it's a problem they are trying to rectify through the new acquisitions, all in all I think people aren't stupid or blind, but sometimes act like it (console warrior bullshit).

TL;DR - everyone is doing fine and will continue doing fine as console gaming won't ever disappear, it sells itself.

Last edited:
When the company itself won't release official sales numbers, why play "make-believe console wars" when in reality you have both arms tied behind your back?

The Xbox fans who actually care about this "news" already know.
The non-Xbox fans already heard about how Xbox is "poised to dominate" and how it is "doing so much better" ad nauseum.

The reason Xbox is in this (subjective) rut is directly due to their own poor decisions, not due to a long series of aggressive marketing campaigns or due to poor market conditions.

This thread is one big corporate S-s-senpai notice meeeee!

Yeah, no arguments there as this thread is pretty dumb.

Although I don't own an Xbox 1 myself (owned a 360), I do respect some of their efforts such as the Adaptive Controller and their Online Service is excellent.

I just hope the OP hasn't intentionally made this thread to upset people with over-praising Microsoft as they do make a lot of awful decisions too.

Maybe changing from Mattick to Spencer was such a shock to their system that they made this thread to ackowledge it? The backfire is pretty hilarious though. :)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Beside the RROD that happen back then, something that can/could or did happen to most electronic manufacturer at some point of their existence, Xbox has been doing well yes.
As a platform holder in this industry it seems nearly impossible to not be profitable in the present day with all the services/models to back them up, even when Y or Z is missing (subjective).
Both sides had a huge loss during the previous generation, one because of hardware failure, the other because of components chosen and/or selling price point, but it's a drop in the bucket of what they are making now.
If we're talking about games lacking from 1st parties that would be true, yet it's a problem they are trying to rectify through the new acquisitions, all in all I think people aren't stupid or blind, but sometimes act like it (console warrior bullshit).

TL;DR - everyone is doing fine and will continue doing fine as console gaming won't ever disappear, it sells itself.
So true. With the way console makers now sell hardware for breakeven or a small profit + all the services + digital sales royalties etc..... pretty sure all console makers are making profits. Wouldn't be surprised if MS makes more profits with 40M XBox Ones than 85 million 360s.

Given MS's commitment to services, new hardware, more studios etc..... MS isn't going anywhere.

Unlike PCs where MS doesn't have to control the hardware to get Office and corporate products selling, they've realized for video gaming, there needs to be a distinct piece of hardware for gamers to attach to. Even though they want more Xbox Live stuff everywhere and crossplay, they core is still hardware based.

Earlier this gen, I think the last bullet gamers had hating MS was the whole "MS is quitting gaming soon so don't bother buying Xbox everyone". In reality, they've expanded.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
There goes that Microsoft bias again. PSbox is doing fine yet here you are attacking the competition.
This has literally nothing to do with the affilation of the OP. Its just low quality and if it were Sony i would have said the same.

That its Microsoft is what it is.

I am not attacking anything but the OP but nice try getting your antagonistical onset out there again. As usual devoid of any sense of reality, only containing the typical Freedom Gate Co. assumptions that come so naturally with you.

JimiNutz

Banned
Xbox is doing well and that's great because competition is important and a healthy gaming market is always welcome. They seem to be putting themselves in a decent position for next gen also.

Sony are doing incredibly well and that is also very good news for gamers. Hail to the King!

Nintendo seem to be doing alright and that's also great news because they offer something quite different and it's great to see a company with such rich history still working their magic after all these years.

PC and mobile are also both doing very well and seem like they will be here forever.

Even VR seems to be hitting it's stride and I hope it lives a long healthy life.

Overall gaming seems to be doing well.

Yay! Let us rejoice.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The brand is pretty dead outside of the US.

The issues is that vgchartz uses completely made up numbers. I still don't understand why that site got unbanned from GAF.

If you have the real numbers, post them. Counter the claimed "fake" information with real ones.

OT: Good for Microsoft. They have been buying up talented developers and seem to be moving toward a very strong showing with their next gen systems and I do hope they succeed. Though I won't say that they are doing "well" as current gen is still in Sony (and increasingly Nintendo's) domain. However, Sony has been making mistake after mistake over the past couple of years. Hopefully a resurgence from a competitor will cause Sony to get their head outta their ass.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I guess that they ever did well. By since they aren't in first place, and also because Sony-boys have a dick size problem to show sales numbers and how the PS4 is the new PS2, people don't talk about it.

Nintendo is on the rise again, so people are just waiting to a single slip to talk bad about it.

Ah, the industry...

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
So true. With the way console makers now sell hardware for breakeven or a small profit + all the services + digital sales royalties etc..... pretty sure all console makers are making profits. Wouldn't be surprised if MS makes more profits with 40M XBox Ones than 85 million 360s.

Given MS's commitment to services, new hardware, more studios etc..... MS isn't going anywhere.

Unlike PCs where MS doesn't have to control the hardware to get Office and corporate products selling, they've realized for video gaming, there needs to be a distinct piece of hardware for gamers to attach to. Even though they want more Xbox Live stuff everywhere and crossplay, they core is still hardware based.

Earlier this gen, I think the last bullet gamers had hating MS was the whole "MS is quitting gaming soon so don't bother buying Xbox everyone". In reality, they've expanded.

The bolded is most important to me. I think what annoys Sony fans the most is that Microsoft are an American company, and probably the only one that has lasted this long in an industry dominated by Japanese companies like Sony and Nintendo. Add to that, Microsoft buying studios says they arent going anywhere. They're in it to stay at this point.

I'm not saying all Sony fans feel this way but a good majority are certainly vocal when it comes to anything Microsoft and they arent afraid to put it on deck either. Its bizarre because no one should want one dominant console and competition is good for the entire industry. I freely admit I'm Xbox centric indeed, but that doesnt mean I dont appreciate what Sony and Nintendo do for the gaming community as a whole.

Microsoft doing well at what they do is nothing but good news, and when you look back at the disaster it was back in 2013, where it is now was impossible to imagine back then. That says a lot.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

They don't really care about console sales. It's not a fight they are even thinking about anymore. Xbox Live on Switch, Gamepass, Xbox Game Studios,
XCloud...this is what they are focused on. While everyone is busy comparing console sales, they are quietly weaponizing for the real war just around the corner.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned
Xbox has been hearing this since 2001 and this imaginary event still hasn't happened.

What 'imaginary event' are you referring to? I said plainly that Xbox games being available to PC has resulted in less Xbox console sales. This is a fact, not fiction. Xbox would have sold far more consoles if its titles were truly exclusive instead of just console exclusive.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What 'imaginary event' are you referring to? I said plainly that Xbox games being available to PC has resulted in less Xbox console sales. This is a fact, not fiction. Xbox would have sold far more consoles if its titles were truly exclusive instead of just console exclusive.
Who cares if a console sells less. As long as it gets good games and has enough gamers to fill MP matches, whether it's 1 billion, 100 million or 10 million does it really matter?

Just like whomever has the beastliest console or the best Nvidia GPU, I don't think the guy driving an Audi A8 cares his car sells 1/1,000th the number of Honda Civics.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Based on the amount of Pro-MS/Anti-Sony threads that have been created these last few weeks who COULDN'T notice the perception that MS is doing well?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
They don't really care about console sales. It's not a fight they are even thinking about anymore. Xbox Live on Switch, Gamepass, Xbox Game Studios,
XCloud...this is what they are focused on. While everyone is busy comparing console sales, they are quietly weaponizing for the real war just around the corner.

Without Xbox consoles they cannot sell subscriptions. Let me know when they have sold XBL gold on Switch and PC. Is Game Pass for PC even a thing? I have it and a PC and have never even taken a look. The Windows store is a mess.

Top Bottom