Notre Dame On Fire

Geki-D

Dec 6, 2017
Damn.
Although fun fact: Pretty much every Catholic cathedral in the French speaking world is called "Notre Dame". For example the one in Paris is Notre Dame de Paris, the one in Strasbourg is Notre Dame de Strasbourg. People call the one in Paris Notre Dame but really that name is sort of doesn't mean much.

Reactions: 嫩翼 and HMM

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Absurd. I hope they can put it out before more damage is done, but this is truly sad. Beautiful architecture in the heart of France burning into slag and cinder. History being destroyed.

Also @Threeshotgamer with that first reply. So good.

Threeshotgamer

Gold Member
Dec 8, 2018
Kentucky
Absurd. I hope they can put it out before more damage is done, but this is truly sad. Beautiful architecture in the heart of France burning into slag and cinder. History being destroyed.

Also @Threeshotgamer with that first reply. So good.

Just watched it over the weekend with my daughters and it was the first thing that popped in my head. (side note this has gotta be one of the more intense disney song's next to Savages in Pocahantas) On a serious tone though i really hope they can contain that quickly it's such a beautiful building.

Reactions: DunDunDunpachi

julio_grr

Mar 24, 2017
I can see the smoke from where I am right now. I should have a better view when I’m back home in a few minutes.
I feel so sad.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: JareBear

TrainedRage

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2018
USA
Did Isis claim responsibility yet?

Sad that beautiful building is destroyed. Amazing architecture.

Dunki

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2017
This looks like a total loss. I doubt they will save this. What a disaster.....

DKehoe

Jun 19, 2007
Fuck, that looks bad from those videos. Hopefully they can stop it before too much damage is done. and no one is hurt.

Last edited:

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014
Damn, that fire looks big. There is something metaphorical about seeing it in flames.
Apparently it is connected to some renovation work.

Ellis

Dec 3, 2018
Incredibly sad to see. Such a stunning piece of architecture.

The way it is spreading. I don't see any of it staying up. Awful.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: HMM and JareBear

Boss Mog

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
The news was super quick to say "possibly due to ongoing renovation". Until it's 100% confirmed I'm gonna be super doubtful, and even then I'll be doubtful. There's been many burned churches all throughout France in recent years and we know exactly who's responsible and I wouldn't be surprised if this was also the case here.

Fbh

Dec 6, 2013
Damn that's terrible. When I heard about this I hoped it was some smaller scale fire that could be contained. But that looks really bad

• Thoughtful

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014
According to the reporter on Sky News (UK), no fire hoses are being aimed at the building. It appears that they are just letting it burn. The flames are now getting into “the guts of the building”.

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014
I am pretty ignorant about this kind of stuff, but why? Why not try to put it out?
No idea. Safety perhaps? It does seem strange. Or maybe he can't see them from his location.
Edit: seeing footage of firefighters on a crane with a hose.

Last edited:

WhiskeyDiver

Apr 21, 2012
twitter.com
A priest was rubbing one out in what he thought was secrecy in God's house. God got pissed, because he just changed all the sheets blessed with downey fabric softener and static cling sheets. He sayeth "Not in my house!" And caused the priests pee pee to catch on fire with ever increasing friction. It's ok though. The priest learned his lesson.

On the actual serious side, I hope everyone is ok, and the fire will be contained as soon as possible. Fire is scary shit, and I hope to never be caught in one.

Ellis

Dec 3, 2018
Firefighters have some serious balls. Can see them standing on the corner near the roof trying to get some water in there.

Last edited: