Notre Dame On Fire

Hado

Aug 13, 2015

edit: they just said nothing will remaining of it. RIP

noone has died.

Last edited:

Alx

Jan 22, 2007
I am pretty ignorant about this kind of stuff, but why? Why not try to put it out?
The fire is in too high a location to be put down with water from the ground. Not enough pressure to reach it.

Last edited:

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014
They need to get a helicopter to air drop some water or something. The hoses look useless from the live footage I'm seeing.

Reactions: JareBear

Alx

Jan 22, 2007
Apparently the firefighters are focusing on securing the stone structure (towers), and also rescuing all the art that is inside (anything that's salvageable anyway).

Last edited:

Ellis

Dec 3, 2018
According to some guy on BBC news, the entire inner wooden frame is now on burning which means everything but the two main towers will most likely be gone in the coming hours.

Depressing to hear considering you can still currently see a lot of it standing.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: lock2k and JareBear

lock2k

Jun 13, 2018
Brazil
According to some guy on BBC news, the entire inner wooden frame is now on burning which means everything but the two main towers will most likely be gone in the coming hours.

Depressing to hear considering you can still currently see a lot of it standing.
I know the human tragedy doesn't compare but this saddens me just as much as September 11 saddened me. To see something like this collapse is heartbreaking.

• Thoughtful

Geki-D

Dec 6, 2017
Last edited:

JareBear

Gold Member
Nov 5, 2016
I don't care where (just far)
I know the human tragedy doesn't compare but this saddens me just as much as September 11 saddened me. To see something like this collapse is heartbreaking.
i will absolutely never forget driving to school and listening to reports of the 9/11 attacks on the radio and sitting in English class watching the live coverage. Stunning in a way I haven't felt stunned very often, if ever, before or after.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: lock2k
Aug 15, 2018
The flames are still fully burning and already the conspiracy theories are starting.
To be fair, there have been a series of anti-catholic attacks in France including arsons of holy places and the desecration of the blessed sacrament. Though, jumping to conclusions never helped anyone and so far the fire appears to be linked to the previous restorations.

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
This is a developing situation about famous structural landmark catching fire. We don’t know how dangerous the fire is or if people are at risk. Please be respectful towards this situation and do not use this as an opportunity to make jokes.

John Lee Packard

Gold Member
Jan 25, 2018
Southeastern USA
Holy fucking shit, the building is like what, 400 years old? And today is the day it burns to ground, unbelievable.

I've seen apartment fires on the local news with more firetrucks and emergency personnel. What's going on here?
No biggie, just a world famous centuries old landmark, not like they'd have a specific emergency plan in case it caught on fire or anything.

CDiggity

Jan 3, 2014
We putting forward theories? I'd say that happened because Bowser got too happy with Reggie's last day at Nintendo. Now why he is in France I haven't a clue.

Hissing Sid

Feb 19, 2015
Is it too soon to suggest that a Mosque be built in its place to honor the history of the location and the new face of France?
Although it would probably be more in keeping with the modern, vibrant face of France I just can’t see it. Alimodo swinging on ropes and shouting ‘The wails, the wails!’, doesn’t quite work for me.

Boss Mog

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
The prosecutor's office is launching an investigation, seems odd for an "accident".:pie_thinking:

I mean I could understand the fire department launching an investigation to know the exact cause but involving the prosecutor's office so early doesn't add up , at least not in my head but I admit I'm not entirely familiar with the proper procedure in such a case.

Spukc

Jan 24, 2015
Oof i don't like france and all.
But this seems pretty bad it was an amazing looking church.

Boss Mog

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Literally every event is an occasion to push politics. Funnily enough, people like these guys will then accuse SJWs of inserting politics everywhere.
Yes because a building that was completed 850 years ago and has survived revolutions and world wars, not to mention countless renovations suddenly burns down, it seems extremely odd to me. I mean the precautions during such renovations must be insane so I can't help but think that it being deliberate is a distinct possibility, especially with so many churches being burned down throughout France by arsonists.

Dunki

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2017
I'm with Julio... I know the hatemongers here are desperate to blame this on Muslims, but it's far too early and the initial evidence indicates that this was an accident, not intentional.
It is the 4th church in 3 Month in France that was lit on fire
The fire started 5-6 minutes after they closed. NO all facts so far indicate that this was arson. Who did it? I do not know but this looks highly suspicous

Anger as France sees 10 Catholic churches attacked in ONE week - 'God will forgive, NOT ME

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1102958/christian-persecution-france-catholic-church-christianity-religion-edouard-phillipe-isis

Catholic churches in France are being targeted with arson attacks, vandalism, desecration of holy statues, and the destruction of the Eucharist. The attacks have been happening since the start of the year.
The Church of St. Sulpice in Paris, where the Da Vinci Code movie was filmed, was set on fire just after midday mass on Sunday, Le Parisien reports. Firefighters and police said the blaze was an arson attack.

https://www.rt.com/news/454472-arson-vandal-french-catholic-church/

Last edited:
Reactions: Kadayi and lock2k