• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Notre Dame On Fire

Geki-D

Banned
Damn.
Although fun fact: Pretty much every Catholic cathedral in the French speaking world is called "Notre Dame". For example the one in Paris is Notre Dame de Paris, the one in Strasbourg is Notre Dame de Strasbourg. People call the one in Paris Notre Dame but really that name is sort of doesn't mean much.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Absurd. I hope they can put it out before more damage is done, but this is truly sad. Beautiful architecture in the heart of France burning into slag and cinder. History being destroyed.

Also Threeshotgamer Threeshotgamer with that first reply. So good.

main-qimg-777acf07df96ff6b7ef2d8201c39c32e.webp

Absurd. I hope they can put it out before more damage is done, but this is truly sad. Beautiful architecture in the heart of France burning into slag and cinder. History being destroyed.

Also Threeshotgamer Threeshotgamer with that first reply. So good.

main-qimg-777acf07df96ff6b7ef2d8201c39c32e.webp
Just watched it over the weekend with my daughters and it was the first thing that popped in my head. (side note this has gotta be one of the more intense disney song's next to Savages in Pocahantas) On a serious tone though i really hope they can contain that quickly it's such a beautiful building.

DKehoe

Fuck, that looks bad from those videos. Hopefully they can stop it before too much damage is done. and no one is hurt.

Last edited:

Breakage

Damn, that fire looks big. There is something metaphorical about seeing it in flames.
Apparently it is connected to some renovation work.

Boss Mog

The news was super quick to say "possibly due to ongoing renovation". Until it's 100% confirmed I'm gonna be super doubtful, and even then I'll be doubtful. There's been many burned churches all throughout France in recent years and we know exactly who's responsible and I wouldn't be surprised if this was also the case here.

Breakage

According to the reporter on Sky News (UK), no fire hoses are being aimed at the building. It appears that they are just letting it burn. The flames are now getting into “the guts of the building”.

A priest was rubbing one out in what he thought was secrecy in God's house. God got pissed, because he just changed all the sheets blessed with downey fabric softener and static cling sheets. He sayeth "Not in my house!" And caused the priests pee pee to catch on fire with ever increasing friction. It's ok though. The priest learned his lesson.

On the actual serious side, I hope everyone is ok, and the fire will be contained as soon as possible. Fire is scary shit, and I hope to never be caught in one.

According to the reporter on Sky News (UK), no fire hoses are being aimed at the building. It appears that they are just letting it burn. The flames are now getting into “the guts of the building”.
there are hoses reported on CNN but very little effort and they are an hour too late the white smoke is from the water

Ellis

Firefighters have some serious balls. Can see them standing on the corner near the roof trying to get some water in there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom