• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Notre Dame On Fire

Alx

I am pretty ignorant about this kind of stuff, but why? Why not try to put it out?

The fire is in too high a location to be put down with water from the ground. Not enough pressure to reach it.

Last edited:

Alx

Apparently the firefighters are focusing on securing the stone structure (towers), and also rescuing all the art that is inside (anything that's salvageable anyway).

Last edited:

Duellist

The news was super quick to say "possibly due to ongoing renovation". Until it's 100% confirmed I'm gonna be super doubtful, and even then I'll be doubtful. There's been many burned churches all throughout France in recent years and we know exactly who's responsible and I wouldn't be surprised if this was also the case here.

d564a8e5d2b3d96a62a4858033355813.png

Ellis

According to some guy on BBC news, the entire inner wooden frame is now on burning which means everything but the two main towers will most likely be gone in the coming hours.

Depressing to hear considering you can still currently see a lot of it standing.

lock2k

Banned
According to some guy on BBC news, the entire inner wooden frame is now on burning which means everything but the two main towers will most likely be gone in the coming hours.

Depressing to hear considering you can still currently see a lot of it standing.

I know the human tragedy doesn't compare but this saddens me just as much as September 11 saddened me. To see something like this collapse is heartbreaking.

Geki-D

Banned
Last edited:
I know the human tragedy doesn't compare but this saddens me just as much as September 11 saddened me. To see something like this collapse is heartbreaking.

i will absolutely never forget driving to school and listening to reports of the 9/11 attacks on the radio and sitting in English class watching the live coverage. Stunning in a way I haven't felt stunned very often, if ever, before or after.

Holy fucking shit, the building is like what, 400 years old? And today is the day it burns to ground, unbelievable.

I've seen apartment fires on the local news with more firetrucks and emergency personnel. What's going on here?

No biggie, just a world famous centuries old landmark, not like they'd have a specific emergency plan in case it caught on fire or anything.

CDiggity

We putting forward theories? I'd say that happened because Bowser got too happy with Reggie's last day at Nintendo. Now why he is in France I haven't a clue.

Hissing Sid

Is it too soon to suggest that a Mosque be built in its place to honor the history of the location and the new face of France?

Although it would probably be more in keeping with the modern, vibrant face of France I just can’t see it. Alimodo swinging on ropes and shouting ‘The wails, the wails!’, doesn’t quite work for me.

Boss Mog

The prosecutor's office is launching an investigation, seems odd for an "accident".:pie_thinking:

I mean I could understand the fire department launching an investigation to know the exact cause but involving the prosecutor's office so early doesn't add up , at least not in my head but I admit I'm not entirely familiar with the proper procedure in such a case.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Oof i don't like france and all.
But this seems pretty bad it was an amazing looking church.

Boss Mog

Literally every event is an occasion to push politics. Funnily enough, people like these guys will then accuse SJWs of inserting politics everywhere.

Yes because a building that was completed 850 years ago and has survived revolutions and world wars, not to mention countless renovations suddenly burns down, it seems extremely odd to me. I mean the precautions during such renovations must be insane so I can't help but think that it being deliberate is a distinct possibility, especially with so many churches being burned down throughout France by arsonists.

Dunki

I'm with Julio... I know the hatemongers here are desperate to blame this on Muslims, but it's far too early and the initial evidence indicates that this was an accident, not intentional.
It is the 4th church in 3 Month in France that was lit on fire
The fire started 5-6 minutes after they closed. NO all facts so far indicate that this was arson. Who did it? I do not know but this looks highly suspicous

Anger as France sees 10 Catholic churches attacked in ONE week - 'God will forgive, NOT ME

https://www.express.co.uk/news/worl...h-christianity-religion-edouard-phillipe-isis

Catholic churches in France are being targeted with arson attacks, vandalism, desecration of holy statues, and the destruction of the Eucharist. The attacks have been happening since the start of the year.
The Church of St. Sulpice in Paris, where the Da Vinci Code movie was filmed, was set on fire just after midday mass on Sunday, Le Parisien reports. Firefighters and police said the blaze was an arson attack.

https://www.rt.com/news/454472-arson-vandal-french-catholic-church/

Last edited:
Top Bottom