• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Notre Dame On Fire

This is a real tragedy :(

It's one of the most beautiful Gothic Churches in the World, the iconography, the stained rose glasses and the organ are just incredibly awe inspiring:

1280px-Organ_of_Notre-Dame_de_Paris.jpg

It's a magnificent piece of artistry and craftsmanship and it really pains me that some of it is now forever lost to the fire. They say the fire could be related to the renovation works, we'll see... I really really hope it's not related to any attack, so let's not jump the gun on that and stay level headed. Running around in circles in order to find a culprit, will not bring back the immense immaterial and artistic loss caused by this incident.

Alx

Random comment, but it's impressive how the scaffolds are still standing. I would have thought that the heat would have destroyed their structure.

nkarafo

I'm pretty sure if the stone walls survive, they will spend billions to rebuilt it
I don't understand much about how fire works but it seems logical to me how they can make buildings collapse if they have wooden structures or if the temperature is high enough, metallic.

But stone? Could a fire make a stone wall collapse?

This day will enter the history :messenger_loudly_crying:

Though I wonder if they will try to rebuild it with some islamic influences like trend of time or something. Like it happened with Sophia in Istanbul.

Last edited:

Breakage

Watching the hellish scenes on TV as darkness falls, it's hard to see how it can be saved. Heard on the BBC that people who know about the structural design of the cathedral are casting doubts on whether it will be standing by the morning.
If this wasn't an accident, it's gonna be huge for France – especially with symbolic nature of the event.

Ovek

7Member7
Damn this is such a shame and not just for the building but also all the priceless artefacts that it housed. :messenger_frowning_

But stone? Could a fire make a stone wall collapse?

Depends how the stone wall is made and if it relied on the wooden inner structure and roof for stability. And depending on what the stone is made of and how hot the fire gets it can change the stone making it extremely unstable.

This was no accident.

All because there were no workmen on site at the time of the fire doesn’t rule them out of the possible cause of the fire.

No, there isn't. It could be arson, it could be an accident. You have no idea. We have no idea. Make a judgement when there is actual evidence to analyze.

Until then, you're playing on the same intellectual level as RussiaGate fearmongers.

No I'm not, because I'm not acting like it's a fact like people acted and still act about RussiaGate.

Yeah, I'm speculating, so sue me.

Either way my advice is that people should not be Muslims, Islam's brought enough mayhem and misery to this world even if Notre Dame is just a coincidence.

As tragic as losing Notre Dame to a terrorist attack would be, it's still dwarfed by 9/11, an old building being destroyed is nothing compared to thousands of innocent people being massacred.

Thurible

Some possibly good new here. It seems most of the precious relics such as the crown of thorns are safe according to Father Fredrick of Notre Dame.

However, there are news sources currently saying they do not know the fate of the relics

Alx

Calling that person a "gilet jaune" is silly, he's most probably a worker or a fireman. "Yellow Vests/Gilets Jaunes" wear their jacket to demonstrate, not to commit crimes trying not to be seen...

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Not a sight you want to see every day. I hope something, if anything, can be saved, and it can be rebuilt, somehow.

Visual history like that holds an eternal place.

Starfield

If this is indeed a terrorist attack as we will later find out (or not) then it would kinda make sense.

If you can't shock the world anymore by comitting terrorist attacks with high body accounts shock them by destroying various sites and buildings that matter to hundreds of MILLIONS of people. It certainly gives the same ór even a bigger shock volume.

Thurible

Thank God, i don't even want to imagine losing the pieces of the cross we have or the crown of thorns. These are ultimately just material things, but Christ Himself (God) has touched these things. They are a very tangible connection to our Savior. While the Church itself is an incredible loss, I would consider the loss of some of our most sacred relics much worse. Also, our greatest treasure are ultimately people, and fortunately no one has died. Though this is a tragedy, we should be happy that it wasn't worse.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Thank God, i don't even want to imagine losing the pieces of the cross we have or the crown of thorns. These are ultimately just material things, but Christ Himself (God) has touched these things. They are a very tangible connection to our Savior.

As if anything from then exists today (if they ever did).

Top Bottom