• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Notre Dame On Fire

The outside stone structure will probably survive the fire if its strong enough to stand on its own, but the interior is clearly gutted.

It does indeed seem odd that the fire started just minutes after closing.

Thurible

As if anything from then exists today (if they ever did).
You don't have to believe they are real, but they are confirmed to be at least several centuries old. Also, these items are incredibly important in the crucifixion, so there have been many fakes made over the centuries. Personally, I do believe they are authentic.

"Of all the relics kept at the Cathedral of Our Lady of Paris (Notre-Dame de Paris), the Crown of Thorns and a piece of the True Cross are the most revered. Their fate was in question as the 850-year-old church went up in flames.
Relics believed to be a piece of the cross on which Jesus was crucified, as well as the Crown of Thorns he wore, have been kept at the cathedral for centuries. The braided circle held together by golden thread has about 70 or so thorns attached. The relics were obtained from the Byzantine Empire in 1238, and brought to Paris by King Louis IX."

What are you trying to imply here?
Probably that they are fake. But that's ok.

1211723-afp_1fo36l.jpg

MVP

nkarafo

Thank God, i don't even want to imagine losing the pieces of the cross we have or the crown of thorns. These are ultimately just material things, but Christ Himself (God) has touched these things. They are a very tangible connection to our Savior. While the Church itself is an incredible loss, I would consider the loss of some of our most sacred relics much worse.
I would trade these items for the cathedral any day.

Last edited:

Cleared_Hot

Maybe try not to insert some random ass anti-religious speculation when a globally recognized structure is burning...?
It's a building for crying out loud. Yeah it's old. Sure. How much you wanna bet boys were molested in there by priests? Good riddance.

This is the norm in France now BTW.
I'm 100% against criminal behavior like that, but I'm not surprised by it.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
Damn.
Although fun fact: Pretty much every Catholic cathedral in the French speaking world is called "Notre Dame". For example the one in Paris is Notre Dame de Paris, the one in Strasbourg is Notre Dame de Strasbourg. People call the one in Paris Notre Dame but really that name is sort of doesn't mean much.

This is exactly why I was confused before clicking in this thread...

My Caribbean side triggered and I was thinking... "quoi ? qu'est-ce que c'est , tu as écrit simplement 'Notre Dame' ici ?."

Anyways, sorry this is so late. Poor cathedral.

Last edited:

Western, northern and southern stained glass windows are gone... they were older than entire countries and survived two world wars.

What a tragedy :(

I'm not religious at all, but I have a great respect for architecture and monuments. All the effort and time and expertise that went into making these works of art, not to mention that a lot of techniques were specifically created in service of making these structures. It is a loss to humanity.

MrRogers

I would seriously question any investigation into this, maybe it was a construction accident, but if it was arson by the local enrichment, would french authorities even go public with it? i doubt it. Especially with all the hunderds of recent vandalism/arson attacks on french churches over the last few years, a precedent into these "unknown" fires has been set.

I saw it in person a few years ago, a spectacular monument from a presently dying culture. This could actually be viewed as a statement on modern french culture and where it is at the moment .... burning down. This history cannot be replaced and will never be duplicated.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Just Friday a woman was sentenced for a plot to firebomb the ND. She was not the only person plotting this.

I would remain skeptical of this being claimed an accident, as someone said here, the authorities wouldn't necessarily wish to let on what they know if it were terrorism. That said, regardless of what this is, France has been suffering badly from attacks. They should beef up their homeland security.

Top Bottom