• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Notre Dame On Fire

Well, I want to apologize for my hardcore blaspheming of Islam.

Emotions were running high and I got pretty angry, since it's not even clear that wasn't just an accident I may have gotten a little ahead of myself.

I do think Islam is a toxic influence on the world, but at the same time I'm uncomfortable with hardcore blaspheming any Religion, I want to believe the best in everyone, including Muslims.

Emotions were running high and I got pretty angry, since it's not even clear that wasn't just an accident I may have gotten a little ahead of myself.

I do think Islam is a toxic influence on the world, but at the same time I'm uncomfortable with hardcore blaspheming any Religion, I want to believe the best in everyone, including Muslims.
Let's be real, extremists are the real issue, which is something that's not even just a religion problem.

Papa

Banned

I think your emotions are still running high

ramuh

Sigh. There's a lot to unpack with all that has happened lately. I expect Christendom and even the World (even Moslem countries) will rally around the Parisians and French in consoling and rebuilding this remarkable structure.

Macron made a speech about rebuilding it but the restoration was a notorious shitshow for years. The guy's a sociopath and his words are bullshit.

D4OJZ76W0AIvRLH.jpg:large

The next issue of Charlie Hebdo will be fun to read. The cover says "I'll start with the roof framework", basically mocking his political reforms and policies.

Bullet Club

It's a shame seeing such a great old structure go down like that.

Billionaire pledges 100 million euros for rebuild

A French billionaire has pledged 100 million euros ($158 million) to help rebuild Notre Dame Cathedral.

Francios-Henri Pinault, whose company owns multiple high-end fashion brands, told AFP he and his father Francois Pinault had decided to dedicate the money to help with the reconstruction effort of the historic cathedral.

Pinault is the chairman of Kering, and president of the Artemis Group. Kering owns designer brands including Gucci, Yves Saint Laurent, Balenciaga and Alexander McQueen, as well as luxury watch and jewellery brands.

The billionaire married Salma Hayek in 2009, and the pair have a daughter together.

It's unclear how much Pinault is worth, but his father came in at number 23 on Bloomberg's Billionaires Index, with an estimated net worth of US$37.3 billion.

Source: The Age

Well she had a good run.

They say they will rebuild it, but the methods used to build it no longer exist, lost to time. They can build an approximate replica using other materials. I learned that when I was in Vienna, used to visit the Cathedral there often. The roof of these early medieval cathedrals in particular is something no architect or engineer knows how to build using the original materials. Even if they did it wouldn't pass modern safety tests. These great domes and roofs were built on a hairpin when it comes to self sustaining force vs gravity.

Last edited:
I'm not a religious person but I do feel sorry for such a lost. especially all the beautiful stained glass that's destoryed. at least it brings some unity to Pairs so I guess that's good.

highrider

Banned
Is anybody else torn between the sadness of seeing such a great architectural achievement burn and the frustration of what the fuck France? How does this shit happen? I work in a body shop in some cookie cutter building with all kinds of chemicals and heat sources and we manage not to torch the place. I think I’m suspicious of foul play because I don’t want to believe someone was dumb enough to accidentally do this.

lock2k

Banned
Is anybody else torn between the sadness of seeing such a great architectural achievement burn and the frustration of what the fuck France? How does this shit happen? I work in a body shop in some cookie cutter building with all kinds of chemicals and heat sources and we manage not to torch the place. I think I’m suspicious of foul play because I don’t want to believe someone was dumb enough to accidentally do this.

Absolutely. Summed up my feelings well.

Last edited:
Seems it was being renovated (these old strcutures are renovated 90% of the time though). The scaffolding may have caused the fire. Somewhere, there is a lonely laborer tightly gripping his asshole waiting for the fingers to point at him.

If this was intentional...oh boy.

Last edited:

Alx

Between this and the Rio museum fire, I really hope everyone else checks their buildings for fire safety. Can you imagine an uncontrolled fire at the Louvre, Musee D'Orsay or Vatican museum?

Orsay is unlikely, it used to be a train station and is mostly made of stone and metal. The Louvres could happen, its roof is made of wood too (as a matter of fact the palace next to the Louvres was destroyed by fire in XIXth century… and we can remember the Windsor casle fire too). But it's more accessible than a cathedral, and it's possible it's been more modernized than Notre Dame. The issue is that it's filled to the brim with works of art, so it would be impossible to save them all.

womfalcs3

Banned

Well, your (mistaken) rush to judgment is an example of toxic influence.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned

So just like the people using this to push their anti-Muslim views and conspiracy theories too, then.

The Retard-in-Chief gave the Parisian firefighters advise on how to fight the fire.

Dumping tons of water from the sky onto a building in a city center. Sounds legit. I guess crushing the building and flooding the streets would technically put out the flames...

Man, it's never easy seeing a remarkable piece of human history just be destroyed like that. Hopefully nobody's hurt--haven't checked the news too much, any reports of deaths or serious injuries?

Alx

Man, it's never easy seeing a remarkable piece of human history just be destroyed like that. Hopefully nobody's hurt--haven't checked the news too much, any reports of deaths or serious injuries?

One firefighter has been seriously injured. Everybody else seems fine, fortunately.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm not a religious person but this is a damn shame. thankfully it wasn't completely destroyed. also there is no doubt that it will be rebuilt and restored to its glory. i'm unfortunate to have never visited but i will be there when the work is completed.

Alx

Fire is officially out. The firefighter injuries aren't too serious after all (but two policemen also suffer from light injuries).
The building is in a fragile state but should stand, we mostly lost the roof and the spire (ie wooden parts). The south rosace is ok, so are the bells, the great organ may have suffered (not clear how much).
From the outside pictures this morning, the building seems almost complete, except for the aforementioned burnt parts. I guess after reconstruction it will look mostly identical.

mcz117chief

Fire is officially out. The firefighter injuries aren't too serious after all (but two policemen also suffer from light injuries).
The building is in a fragile state but should stand, we mostly lost the roof and the spire (ie wooden parts). The south rosace is ok, so are the bells, the great organ may have suffered (not clear how much).
From the outside pictures this morning, the building seems almost complete, except for the aforementioned burnt parts. I guess after reconstruction it will look mostly identical.
What about the stained glass? Anything survived?

"My source in Paris" tells me that guy is full of sh*t. None of his claims can be verified by official french sources as he keeps peddling his bullcrap in order to rile people up before any concrete evidence can even be presented. That twitter dude is posting some blatantly false half-truths based on no evidence at all.

According to LeParisien, officials and police currently suspect a faulty soldering seam (that could even be days old):

Selon une source policière, les enquêteurs étudient l’hypothèse d’un foyer provoqué par un travail de soudure sur la charpente en bois.

« Notre-Dame, c’est une boite d’allumette géante, un mikado, observe Serge Delhaye, expert judiciaire en incendies près de la cour d’appel de Paris. La charpente est très ancienne : entre les poussières de bois et la décomposition du bois en état spongieux, une flammèche, une soudure ou un court-circuit peut provoquer une braise incandescente indécelable durant plusieurs heures, voire jours, et se développer en incendie insidieusement. » Les experts judiciaires qui seront mandatés pour retrouver l’origine du foyer devront déterminer les responsabilités ou les négligences.

We know that the renovation works ramped up a couple of days ago when they were flying the statues down from the roof, so there's absolutely nothing suspicious about the date of the incident. In fact, a journalist was visiting the site with the architect before the renovation works started on April the 6th:

The initial fire spread from a closed off spot that is very hard to access and the police have already interviewed the 15 workers that were on the construction site before the fire broke out.

Can we please not jump to conclusions before we have some concrete evidence? Seriously, who is that frikkin' guy anyway?

Last edited:
Top Bottom