• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November 2016 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes Tuesday, December 6th

Hardware sales down 35%

rgNs0Zz.gif

Consoles must be dead. Time to light the funeral pyres.

In all seriousness, they're fine. The "sky is falling" crap is silly.

There is no Battlefield gaming launching next year; EA has said we will not be seeing the next entry for Battlefield for some time, and are choosing to support BF1 instead. Battlefront 2 is their shooter for next year.

Next year we also get Destiny 2, RDR 2, a new CoD, and an Assassin's Creed game. 4 out of the 5 projected 'big' holiday 3rd party titles for fall/holiday 2017 have deals with Sony that we know of. If there is going to be any year to push software and hardware, next year is the one to do it.

Pretty sure EA said no new battlefield for next year...

Oh. For some reason I put Battlefield 5 to that post even though I had read about Battlefield and Battlefront having their own years. My mistake. Well nevertheless if there is no delays next holiday season looks stronger already in terms of blockbusters.

RexNovis

Banned
I'm not sure the point you're trying to make? but still the PS4 slim and Pro probably made more money for Sony than adding another 3rd party bundle with less margins for $250.

WW Sony saw their best Black Friday ever, and they are at 50 million sold. I just don't see why they would be in a rush to put out 2 bundles consumers don't really seem to be clamoring for.

You are aware that WW (aka literally everywhere except US) Sony had more bundles available than just the UC4 bundle right? US is the only market in which they did not have more than one Slim bundle available and it's likely to be the market with the biggest drop YoY. I don't think that's a coincidence.

despite my big overestimate for xbox one, i did quite good

LOL! I hope you stick around. You've provided more amusement in a month than any new NPD poster all year. Bless you.

Javin98

Banned
correct. 550k is not close
550k is overestimated big like i said and ps4 plus 3ds numbers being good
Pretty much what Rex said. "Despite" is the wrong word to use. Had you used "My XB1 prediction aside", that would have made more sense. Regardless, it will drag down your entire predictions big time, so congratulations on the others, I guess?

correct. 550k is not close
550k is overestimated big like i said and ps4 plus 3ds numbers being good

I'd probably make this overestimation of X1 if I only saw the anecdotal thread where pallets of PS4 were still full and X1 was looking empty. That's a half million over.

Then the word you should have used was "except" not "despite."

would've probably been the better word without causing confusion. but english is not my first language.

Pretty much what Rex said. "Despite" is the wrong word to use. Had you used "My XB1 prediction aside", that would have made more sense. Regardless, it will drag down your entire predictions big time, so congratulations on the others, I guess?
yeah i don't care for this particular prediction game and any placing. just if my observation and estimates are in line or totally off. and in that case i'm 2/3

xbox one did not carry over the past months momentum of being up YoY, thanks to the new released xbox one s, into the holiday season. i'm fine with being wrong about that and now i know more. next month will be easier to predict. q1 2017 will be tough again

cakely

would've probably been the better word without causing confusion. but english is not my first language.

yeah i don't care for this particular prediction game and any placing. just if my observation and estimates are in line or totally off. and in that case i'm 2/3

xbox one did not carry over the past months momentum of being up YoY, thanks to the new released xbox one s, into the holiday season. i'm fine with being wrong about that and now i know more. next month will be easier to predict. q1 2017 will be tough again

I think you're taking the piss, but seriously, your prediction accuracy was 0/1, not 2/3.

You quoted your failed prediction and patted yourself on the back for it.

I think you're taking the piss, but seriously, your prediction accuracy was 0/1, not 2/3.

So this person (hanspampel) is actually a permabanned user from *banned* site. He has a habit of asserting that the XBO would win past NPDs and then, be proven wrong when the results come out. Oh, and he has also made a billion alt accounts on *banned* site. In fact, he actually made one today :D

RexNovis

Banned
Wow at Nintendo only shipping 196k NES classics. What the hell were they thinking I can't believe they sent such a ridiculously small amount of stock. Why is it with them and constantly understockong their products. They deserve so much crap for creating artificial scarcity. I just don't get it. It's not like this pays off for them. They are actively losing sales by kit stocking enough product. It's asinine.

Wow at Nintendo only shipping 196k NES classics. What the hell were they thinking I can't believe they sent such a ridiculously small amount of stock. Why is it with them and constantly understockong their products. They deserve so much crap for creating artificial scarcity. I just don't get it. It's not like this pays off for them. They are actively losing sales by kit stocking enough product. It's asinine.
They didn't have enough controller cable.

not sure what piss you're talking about, but your post accuracy is 0/2
550k units is in between 500 and 800k
1100k units is in between 1050 and 1450k

so both 3DS and Ps4 are on the lower end of my estimate.

plus i'm also correct about CoD, being #1 on the NPD chart, but being outsold by Pokemon Sun and Moon combined on a physical only unit base

Call of Duty #1 on the npd chart, because the chart is based on revenue and includes digital. also pokemon will be tracked on a sku base.

physical units sold, pokemon could be ahead

but yeah. let's rather focus on some console war nonsense, because i thought xbox would be ahead in november, but ps4 took the lead and i was wrong about that (not that i didn't admit that already in my very fist post)...

RexNovis

Banned
not sure what piss you're talking about, but your post accuracy is 0/2
550k units is in between 500 and 800k
1100k units is in between 1050 and 1450k

so both 3DS and Ps4 are on the lower end of my estimate.

plus i'm also correct about CoD, being #1 on the NPD chart, but being outsold by Pokemon Sun and Moon combined on a physical only unit base

but yeah. let's rather focus on some console war nonsense, because i thought xbox would be ahead in november, but ps4 took the lead and i was wrong about that (not that i didn't admit that already in my very fist post)...

Dude, look, you are literally the only person I have ever seen use ranges on their prediction and the way you are patting yourself on the back for your outrageously wrong predictions is beyond obnoxious. You basically gave yourself a massive handicap, one that nobody else has, and are now congratulating yourself for being wrong. It is the very definition of moving the goalposts (or in this case changing the rules to suit you).

And no people pointing out how obnoxious that is are not console warring they are calling you out on your shenanigans (which might I add have been very console warrish in this very thread by belligerently insisting that there would be no way the XB1 would possibly be down YoY and lo and behold it was). Stop it. Everyone is wrong sometimes. Stop trying to come out of this making yourself look better. Take your humble pie and eat it.

donny2112

Since not all the results are public, no numerical results are shown here. Also, rankings are just a counter, so if two people are tied, it isn't shown here.

NeoGAF Prediction Results - November 2016

Units

1. blakep267
2. Pachter
3. RexNovis
4. Tratorn
5. freefornow
6. Cow Goes Moo
7. Bitch Pudding
8. Nouzka
9. Welfare
10. TheOfficeMut
11. theprodigy
12. Bruno MB
13. Trust me, I'm a PhD
14. 5Twist
15. allan-bh
16. Rymuth
17. noobie
18. Shizza
19. Graphics Horse
20. Chobel
21. anothertech
22. Ol┐nner
23. itshutton
24. sirronoh
25. Kill3r7
26. mejin
27. Megadragon15
28. slavesnyder
29. jroc74
30. perfectchaos007
31. hanspampel
32. Final Verdict
33. donny2112
34. Rand6
35. skedar897
36. GAF_Agg
37. archnemesis
38. Sangetsu-II
39. ethomaz
40. Javin98
41. DayEnder
42. Raylan
43. orfax
44. Las7
45. Sterok
46. GifGafIsTheBestGaf
47. onQ123
48. Stanng243
49. jjonez18
50. Opt1kon_
51. Shambalakan
52. Fdkn
53. wachie
54. Elandyll
55. gtj1092
56. Kayant
57. astrogamer
58. pager99
59. Darth Smurf X
60. dafodeu
61. ZachzOOming
62. Shock32
63. robo
64. Agnostic Priest

November 2016                   Overall 2016 Top (9/11)
01.  blakep267              ---.--   Tratorn                ---.--
02.  RexNovis               ---.--   RexNovis               ---.--   * RexNovis
03.  Tratorn                ---.--   allan-bh               ---.--
04.  Pachter                ---.--   Cow Goes Moo           ---.--
05.  Nouzka                 ---.--   Nouzka                 ---.--
06.  Bruno MB               ---.--   KillerMan91            ---.--
07.  freefornow             ---.--   Javin98                ---.--
08.  TheOfficeMut           ---.--   Welfare                ---.--
09.  Trust me, I'm a PhD    ---.--   orfax                  ---.--
10.  Bitch Pudding          ---.--   Raylan                 ---.--
11.  Shizza                 ---.--   Chobel                 ---.--
12.  sirronoh               ---.--   donny2112              ---.--
13.  Cow Goes Moo           ---.--   jayu26                 ---.--
14.  Rymuth                 ---.--   Bruno MB               ---.--
15.  noobie                 ---.--   skedar897              ---.--
16.  theprodigy             ---.--   Ryng_tolu              ---.--
17.  5Twist                 ---.--   archnemesis            ---.--
18.  anothertech            ---.--   noobie                 ---.--
19.  allan-bh               ---.--   slavesnyder            ---.--
20.  ethomaz                ---.--   Shizza                 ---.--
21.  Welfare                ---.--   Rand6                  ---.--
22.  Graphics Horse         ---.--   Rymuth                 ---.--
23.  orfax                  ---.--   jjonez18               ---.--
24.  archnemesis            ---.--   ZachzOOming            ---.--
25.  Final Verdict          ---.--   Trust me, I'm a PhD    ---.--
26.  Ol┐nner                ---.--   Kayant                 ---.--
27.  Chobel                 ---.--   Sterok                 ---.--
28.  mejin                  ---.--   Pachter                ---.--
29.  Kill3r7                ---.--   mejin                  ---.--
30.  donny2112              ---.--   Elandyll               ---.--
31.  Javin98                ---.--   Fdkn                   ---.--
32.  Sangetsu-II            ---.--   Kill3r7                ---.--
33.  slavesnyder            ---.--   robo                   ---.--
34.  jroc74                 ---.--   Darth Smurf X          ---.--
35.  itshutton              ---.--   andy_lhc               ---.--
36.  wachie                 ---.--   jroc74                 ---.--
37.  skedar897              ---.--   Megadragon15           ---.--
38.  onQ123                 ---.--   astrogamer             ---.--
39.  Stanng243              ---.--   Primethius             ---.--
40.  Sterok                 ---.--   ethomaz                ---.--
41.  Megadragon15           ---.--   theprodigy             ---.--
42.  Raylan                 ---.--   Hydrargyrus            ---.--
43.  GifGafIsTheBestGaf     ---.--   ConfusedGamer          ---.--
44.  Rand6                  ---.--   gtj1092                ---.--
45.  DayEnder               ---.--   Bitch Pudding          ---.--
46.  Shambalakan            ---.--   AmaterasuOni           ---.--
47.  hanspampel             ---.--   Stanng243              ---.--
48.  Fdkn                   ---.--   5Twist                 ---.--
49.  pager99                ---.--   Ol┐nner                ---.--
50.  gtj1092                ---.--   pitseleh               ---.--

Congratulations, blakep267! :D

Despite my optimism screwing me... again... I actually came out of November looking ok. I really hope December looks better for units, but you never know. Thanks again, Donny, for all the hard work, and see you all next month^^

blakep267

I think December is going to be even harder to call without knowing and splits between the pro and normal PS4. Like if the pro had 200-300k in pre-orders from the previous 2 months, I don't know how that gets made up by the slim in December. But if the pro number is super small, the PS4 could be flat

Shizza

Well done blakep267!

And, I'm surprised at the ranking I ended up. I thought for sure I was going to be near the bottom when those XB1 & PS4 numbers dropped.

Welfare

I think December is going to be even harder to call without knowing and splits between the pro and normal PS4. Like if the pro had 200-300k in pre-orders from the previous 2 months, I don't know how that gets made up by the slim in December. But if the pro number is super small, the PS4 could be flat

I would say PS4 is almost guaranteed to be flat, if not down in December. In 2015, December only saw an increase of 43K over November.

Code:

PS4 November: 1.539M / 4 = 384,750
PS4 December: 1.582M / 5 = 316,400

Weekly average down 18%

December also had the Black Ops 3 500GB Bundle for $349 while the PS4 does not have an extra bundle this month.

allan-bh

PS4 can easily drop below 1 million in december. XBO can drop too if sold just ~1 million in november, but I'm expecting a little increase.

cakely

Console war nonsense? I have no idea what you're talking about. Please explain.

You picked the wrong winner, you were off by half a million and you then made a post congratulating yourself. That's why I thought you were taking the piss.

If you're not, then by all means, carry on.

Console war nonsense? I have no idea what you're talking about. Please explain.

You picked the wrong winner, you were off by half a million and you then made a post congratulating yourself. That's why I thought you were taking the piss.

If you're not, then by all means, carry on.

And not just picking the wrong winner, but predicting that the XBO would be up YOY over last November, too. That part was what raised my eyebrows.

I don't like these juniors not contributing anything meaningful to the discussion and only dropping their predictions here.
This pachter guy is highly suspicious.

viHuGi

Banned
December better be big for Sony with all those deals it better be way up yoy.

Also Final Fantasy bundle, Uncharted bundle for 229$, gift cards, Last Guardian etc. We shall see.

blakep267

Also Final Fantasy bundle, Uncharted bundle for 229$, gift cards, Last Guardian etc. We shall see.
Eh I don't k ow. The final fantasy bundle is likely to be a non factor(its $449. Not something that's gonna be massively purchased) and TLG isn't going to push any hardware. The $229 UC bundle may just get it to being flat MoM. There's gonna be no Pro preorders to bolster his months sales

allan-bh

I'm thinking Xbox is below 1M and PS4 is just above. Doubt it'll be 1.5 like last year.

Considering that november was the launch of Pro and PS4 sold only 100k more, I think XBO has a real chance of outsell PS4 in december.

I think XBO can grow a little for 1.1m range and PS4 will be flat at best.

Welfare

Be ready for it to be down by a lot like this month. December is only a slightly better month than November now. With the launch of the Pro in November though, it is entirely possible the PS4 actually sells less than November.

Unknown?

Considering that november was the launch of Pro and PS4 sold only 100k more, I think XBO has a real chance of outsell PS4 in december.

I think XBO can grow a little for 1.1m range and PS4 will be flat at best.
Yeah but we don't know how many of those Pro purchases were people who would have bought a PS4 anyway. We don't have enough data to determine anything as the Pro launch could likely not have effected anything at all. Last year they had LE bundles that amassed preorders too.

As far as December goes it can go both ways but with Sony winning Cyber Monday I think the favor is towards Sony. But it could go either way, I could see Xbox below 1 million though.

Somnia

FYI, the 3 stores in my town haven't sold any of their Final Fantasy PS4s, all still have the 3 they got in.

Systems have been selling good, but xb1 has definitely sold more in the last 2 days. Can't keep the mine craft bundle in Stock. No idea the rest of December though as I barely worked.

allan-bh

Yeah but we don't know how many of those Pro purchases were people who would have bought a PS4 anyway. We don't have enough data to determine anything as the Pro launch could likely not have effected anything at all. Last year they had LE bundles that amassed preorders too.

As far as December goes it can go both ways but with Sony winning Cyber Monday I think the favor is towards Sony. But it could go either way, I could see Xbox below 1 million though.

I'm speculating but I believe the majority of Pro's buyers are hardcore players migrating from OG PS4.

Top Bottom