• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that the Crash Trilogy is coming out, what would you prefer VV do next?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Jak and Daxter trilogy

PaulloDEC

Three little letters for ya:

ctrbro41.gif

Get that one done first and I'll be cool with whatever they want to do next. More classic PSX remakes, new Crash, new IP, it's all good.

Spyro, because it would be insane to think they could make a game to compete with MK8 atm

I bet people were saying similar things back in '99 when CTR came out too 😉

On a more serious note, it's hardly a competition when both games will be console-exclusives.

RK128

One of four options:

1) Spyro The Dragon: Planes of the Glade - A interesting 'mix' of an original game and a 'remake' of Spyro 1-3. Co-developed by Vicarious Visions and a small team within Insomniac Games, Spyro goes on a new adventure that has the purple dragon explore locations news and old. Why not a triple-remake similar to Crash? Waaaaay to much work. Crash was 'easy' to make considering its linear level design. Spyro? The worlds are huge and the 'gameplay styles' are wildly different (cough Spyro 3 cough). So, I think an 'original' game mixing new and old is a good call.

2) Crash Team Racing Returns - Vicarious Visions does the obvious choice and remakes CTR ala N. Sane Trilogy. Full-remake with online support but with various tracks from Nitro Kart in the Grand Prix mode included too. Throw in Spyro characters as 'new' races and you have a great release :).

3) Crash Bandicoot: The Next Generation - Using assets from N. Sane Trilogy, Vicarious Visions makes an open-world Crash adventure that blends classic gameplay with large hubs to explore. I think this could work great, as we could have three 'large' hubs and each one having various 'portals' to different level types (ala N. Sane Trilogy). This could allow for the game to have a 'new' and 'huge' feature while also having the hook from the classic games. Why am I asking for this instead of a normal classic Crash? Critics will decemate it. Many views Wrath of Cortex as a very 'safe' sequel and rated as such. With N. Sane Trilogy, Vicarious will have a clear idea what to do with Crash going forward, so taking some risks with the series formula would be a wise move I think.

4) Crash's Side Scrolling Travels - Smaller Downloadable game where Vicarious Visions releases the 'traditional' levels from their GBA Crash games using assets from N. Sane Trilogy as a base. Budget priced (20$) and having all the normal platforming levels, it will be a nice 'bonus' that honors the studio's work on Crash in the past.

Bonus:
PS2 Classics for Twinsanity, Nitro Kart, and Wrath of Cortex (Greatest Hits version with fixed loading time) get released during later half of 2017.

RK128

Did you know - the Travelers Tales dev team behind Crash Twinsanity (of which I am one ;)) meet up every so often, and talk about the possibility of pitching a remastered version with all of the cut content put back in...including the scenes shown below ->

CONCEPT18.jpg

CONCEPT08.jpg

CONCEPT37.jpg

Also, did you know that one of the producers on Twinsanity (from Vivendi Universal) now works for Vicarious Visions...

...interesting developments...

So...are the calls happening yet ;). I know you can't share stuff like that with us but I think it would be cool to see the 'team back together' and release a 'Crash Twinsanity - The N. Sane Adventure'.

I would honestly love to see that happen honestly, so maybe if N. Sane Trilogy sells well, Activision will be open to the idea. Vicarious loves the series and you said it yourself, friends among friends are within Vicarious.

Also, it was great having that interview with you last year on Twinsanity. Hope you guys liked the retrospective I put together on Crashy News :p.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Spyro, because it would be insane to think they could make a game to compete with MK8 atm

All they would have to do is keep the core gameplay of CTR intact and adjust everything around it. I trust them to do the graphics well.

The only other area of concern I'd have is sound design. CTR sounds great, and Nitro Kart sounds abysmal. The karts in Nitro Kart whir and whistle in such a limp way. They should be blasting and growling with drifting and boosting. The characters all sound awkward and alone in Nitro Kart too. The voices are too isolated; they should be mixed in more with the other sound effects and the music.

If they do attempt CTR, I really hope they pay close attention to what makes it all work so well.

A Crash Team Racing remaster with online play would pretty much consume my life. I don't have much interest in the Crash trilogy, but CTR is still one of my favourite racing games ever.

I would also be down with a Spyro trilogy remaster if they put in the same budget & effort that has gone into Crash. I play them occasionally on my Vita and they've aged remarkably well.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't think Vicarious would be involved with a CTR remake. The original is the one Crash game that Sony owns and I'd wager Acti wouldn't be keen on the idea of having one of its own studios tied up with something that would be owned by a third party. United Front (LittleBigKarting) is no more, but Sony could hit up Sumo (Sonic Racing).

Edit: Oh, and, yeah, consider me part of the "Spyro trilogy remake" camp, too.

IDK. Just more early polygon stuff, like Spyro the Dragon. Maybe it is my bias growing up in the 8-bit, and 16-bit era speaking, but yeah, have to agree with many, like Jeff Gerstmann. Early polygon era does not hold up. Not at all.

silva1991

I don't understand. Because MK8 is the best of it's kind, there shouldn't be another one of those games atm?

They aren't even gonna be on the same systems.

CTR would fill a hole in the PS4 lineup, there's no karting game and it'd make CTR better than ever with online leaderboards and online MP. This needs to happen.

But I wouldn't spit on a Spyro trilogy, such beautiful games.

ZeroX03

Banned

CTR is already superior to MK8 in multiple ways. Plus it's different platform and audience. There's no MK8 or similar on PS4 to compete with. Silly train of thought.

Spinky

Did you know - the Travelers Tales dev team behind Crash Twinsanity (of which I am one ;)) meet up every so often, and talk about the possibility of pitching a remastered version with all of the cut content put back in...including the scenes shown below ->

CONCEPT18.jpg

CONCEPT08.jpg

CONCEPT37.jpg

Also, did you know that one of the producers on Twinsanity (from Vivendi Universal) now works for Vicarious Visions...

Please please please please please please please PLEASE.

I would KILL for this.

To be honest I'd even take this over the remastered trilogy. Always thought Twinsanity could've been truly great if it was finished, and even today it stands as the best example of where the series should go in the future.

Also, the soundtrack was fucking rad.

hotcyder

Could they use the engine and assets they built to make a Crash 4? We've had new NES megaman games so a new Crash in the style of the original trilogy isn't out of the question. Make it more like 2 and add some more settings.

*Splinter

Spyro trilogy for sure. Loved the original, never played the others for some reason.

Honestly don't know if I'd buy a "new" Crash game. Nostalgia is a part of the package for me.

sn00zer

I don't understand. Because MK8 is the best of it's kind, there shouldn't be another one of those games atm?

They aren't even gonna be on the same systems.

CTR is already superior to MK8 in multiple ways. Plus it's different platform and audience. There's no MK8 or similar on PS4 to compete with. Silly train of thought.

Im not saying their shouldn't be a competitor, but Vicarious isnt the company to do it. Sumo Digital or another company with years of racing game experience would make more sense.

Zushin

CONCEPT18.jpg

CONCEPT08.jpg

CONCEPT37.jpg

Please God I hope this happens.

HardRojo

Best-case scenario would be another studio working on CTR remake while VV works on either a new entry or Spyro collection.

Pachimari

As much as I would love a brand new Crash Bandicoot game, I would prefer it, if they sat down and gave us a remake of Crash Team Racing adding online play to it.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
A new Crash of course, they have the engine, assets and gameplay running, so it would only be natural to follow this up with a new Crash. What I don't want is them wasting another year or two on improving the graphics of readily available games like Spyro.

Anything except Spyro Trilogy. I genuinely don't want them to touch it, games are fantastic and I don't see any way they can re-bottle the magic of colour; soundtrack and gameplay mechanics in a remake.

TheBoss1

This game comes up as unavailable to pre-order on Amazon for the physical edition. I've never seen a game about to be released be unavailable for pre-order. Am I missing something here?

kc44135

Anything except Spyro Trilogy. I genuinely don't want them to touch it, games are fantastic and I don't see any way they can re-bottle the magic of colour; soundtrack and gameplay mechanics in a remake.

They've done a pretty good job of all that with Crash though from what we've seen though, haven't they?

Pretty much. A CTR remake or a brand new game really seems like a no-brainer honestly.

TeddyBoy

Everyone seems to forget Crash Bash but that should also be remade if they do Crash Team Racing.

But I'd personally love Spyro more.

Top Bottom