• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now With Xbox Series X Price Point Has Officially Been Announced To Be $499, How Much Will PlayStation 5 Cost?

LED Guy?

Banned
OK now what do you people think the PlayStation 5 price point will be? I think the standard PS5 will be at $449 and the Digital PS5 will be at $499.

Or maybe Sony might gamble and make the standard PS5 be priced at $499 while the Digital one at $399 to entice people to buy their digital to be much more connected into their PSN ecosystem, but...

I CANNOT SEE HOW XBOX SERIES S IS AT $300 WHILE THE PS5 DIGITAL CAN BE AT $400 LIKE SOME PEOPLE SPECULATE!!

- 4 TeraFlops GPU (2.57x decrease), but it is 36 CU, might not be a big jump in terms of transistor counts because that GPU clock is so high but at the same time it needs all that advanced pricey cooling so it is more expense in the end.
- Much Slower SSD (2.4x decrease).
- Less RAM (1.6x decrease).
- Less storage space (1.6x decrease).
- Cheaper cooling (most likely).

I do not see how all these increased specs over Series S would just be a $100 more expensive.

By the way this is the official tweet right here:

What do you guys think??????

Last edited:

Unknown?

Who knows but if it's $399 for the digital that kinda throws a cog in MS's strategy. For $100 more you could get a far more capable machine and makes the $100 premium for the series X not very appealing.

$399 would be unbelievable though. I think both versions will be $449.

LordCBH

I think they’ll be far more willing to be aggressive with the Digital Edition price with the expectation that everyone has to go through the PS Store for games and this can only buy the games new. I think they’re going to price the digital one lower than people expect, but price the Standard one probably right where people expect.

Troozi

I always thought there would be a bigger price difference between the disk and non disk of the versions of the PS5 than $50. Even though I only buy games digitally, for $50 extra I may as well get the disk console just in case.

I'll go 499 for disk, and 399 for digital (£450 and £350)

TTOOLL

Not more than the X, obviously. The thing here is, will they be aggressive with the digital model and price it at 399???

People who say 599 are youngsters who do not remember the PS3 price announcement.

Last edited:

Night.Ninja

Banned
Thinking $349/$449.

Can't see where in the BoM Sony is spending more. Fact is, its a smaller SoC and uses less NVRam. Stuff like haptics won't add much to the build cost.

All that exotic custom hardware it's going to add up somewhere

evanft

Alright I'm gonna go out on a limb here. $449/$349.

Probably will be $499/$399, but I'm thinking Sony might make a last minute move to undercut.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
$500 disc. X is more powerful, but countered with better PS5 SSD
$400 digital. Should be $450, but Sony will round down. $450 is a weird number and $400 is a magical console price point

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
$599
$499

449 and 349. Sony knows how important the price is.

"I think the best way that we can address this is by providing the best possible value proposition that we can. I don't necessarily mean lowest price. Value is a combination of many things. In our area it means games, it means number of games, depth of games, breadth of games, quality of games, price of games... all of these things and how they avail themselves of the feature set of the platform."

AlexxKidd

tenor.gif

turtlepowa

Banned
$599
$499

"I think the best way that we can address this is by providing the best possible value proposition that we can. I don't necessarily mean lowest price. Value is a combination of many things. In our area it means games, it means number of games, depth of games, breadth of games, quality of games, price of games... all of these things and how they avail themselves of the feature set of the platform."
There is no way they are going for 599. 499 max.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
All that exotic custom hardware it's going to add up somewhere

Not really, in the end its all about transistor count and hence die-size. Because thats basically dictating yield cost. If you look at what's eating all the space on the Series X SoC, the majority gets eaten up by the GPU, Ryzen cores are comparatively tiny, as are all the supplemental devices which do mostly the same things the PS5's counterparts do.

Point being, Sony could double the die-space occupied by those parts, and would still end up with a substantially smaller chip just because they opted for a 36 rather than 52cu GPU.

ManaByte

Gold Member
There is no way they are going for 599. 499 max.

Scarce components have pushed the manufacturing costs for Sony Corp.’s next PlayStation to around $450 per unit, forcing a difficult price-setting decision in its battle with Microsoft Corp., according to people with knowledge of the matter.

The company’s biggest headache is ensuring a reliable supply of DRAM and NAND flash memory, with both in high demand as smartphone makers gear up for fifth-generation devices, according to people familiar with Sony’s operations. Samsung Electronics Co. just announced its Galaxy S20 product range, each variant of which will have 5G and a minimum of 12GB of RAM in the U.S.

Most of the components for the console have been locked down, the people said, including the cooling system, which is unusually expensive at a few dollars per unit. Typically, companies would spend less than a dollar, but Sony opted to lavish more on making sure heat dissipation from the powerful chips housed inside the console isn’t an issue.

splattered

$600 ph / $500 de

I was prepared to go up to $600 for both but looks like MS really is as agile with pricing as Phil claimed.

Not expecting Sony to match MS at this point though if they do i only expect a $50 price difference with the all digital though they could really eat it and discount by $100 but they are still majorly sandwiched either way.

longdi

Banned
$599
$499

Jim likes to talk about value and price of games

MS just hit them with bunch of all access games. You buy Xbox, get GPU, have too many games to play through.

Casuals dont need to watch the latest movie now and there, same with games. Keep their free time fed, is a win.

PS5 feels more and more like an island, an exclusive cut-off from the public

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Jim likes to talk about value and price of games

MS just hit them with bunch of all access games. You buy Xbox, get GPU, have too many games to play through.

Casuals dont need to watch the latest movie now and there, same with games. Keep their free time fed, is a win.

PS5 feels more and more like an island, an exclusive cut-off from the public
All Sony has to do is add EA Access to PS Now as well and today's EA news is a wash.

CeeJay

499 DE
599 Standard

They could go 549 Standard but i think they will price it 100 more to encourage people to go all digital and 50 isn't enough of a difference to do that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom