• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now With Xbox Series X Price Point Has Officially Been Announced To Be $499, How Much Will PlayStation 5 Cost?

JimiNutz

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if it was

$549
$499

It'd be amazing if it was $499 and $399 but I think Sony can get away with it being higher priced and still selling really well.

LarknThe4th

Honestly if they get the digital version to 400 its trouble for Microsoft, 400 is the modern sweet spot for consoles, might be a bit too hard to get to that though

Aladin

From what i have come to understand, a xbox gamer spends more $$$ than a playstation gamer. Playstation brand is more biased towards poorer economic regions like South America, Middle East, Eastern Europe and Asia. They were definitely targetting 499$ from the beginning.

iNdwKdd.png

Last edited:

scydrex

I say 449 and 499. They should not ask more than 499 for the PS5. The digital 399 or 449 max. My wish? 399 and 449.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
I know that, but remember PS3/360. Both lost around 8 billions on the hardware and now that Microsoft offers a stronger console for 499 and Sony knows how bad their PS3 pricing and how good their PS4 pricing went, i guarantee you 499 max. Mark my words.

FStubbs

Sony will price the full PS5 at 399 even if they take a loss. They want to bury Xbox quick in English speaking countries. They know they have it in the bag in the rest of the world no matter what the price is.

Disk-less will be 299 or 349..

If Sony can't undercut the Xbox Series X with less specs, they fucked up.

449 the standard PS5
399 the Digital Edition

The PS5's SSD Is supposedly a generation or two ahead of Microsoft's. May not be just GPU specs.

Last edited:

Allandor

ForestVSea

My guess is they will make it the same price, and will have better sales. There's no way they can sell it past 500

Last edited:

ThisIsMyDog

From what i have come to understand, a xbox gamer spends more $$$ than a playstation gamer. Playstation brand is more biased towards poorer economic regions like South America, Middle East, Eastern Europe and Asia. They were definitely targetting 499$ from the beginning.

iNdwKdd.png
Most of PS4 are still sold in rich countries.

Zoro7

Banned
What’s the pull of the DE if there’s only a 50 dollar price difference between it and the normal version. Doesn’t make sense to me. Sony can afford to make a bigger loss on that knowing they’ll make so much more from digital game sales. I’m going with 400 and 500 for the two versions.

Ellery

I don't want to say the uncomfortable truth here. We all deep down in our hearts know it.

That being said I hope I can get the normal disc based version for 499€ or less.

Garjon

449/499, only thing that makes sense. Even something like 479 for the disc version seems unlikely. While Sony's GPU is significantly cheaper, the SSD and cooling will definitely push the price up

-thirdeye-

Neo Member
$399 for base PS5, $349 discless. Sony knows they can't go same price as XSX because it honestly isn't perceived as the same value. If you're a gamer who is on the fence, you're going to go with XSX if PS5 is same price.
Not really, you go where the games are. I think Sony and Nintendo outshine Xbox in that regard. if it was about power, the switch should have been a failure.

Aladin

Most of PS4 are still sold in rich countries.
PS3 was expensive because they wanted to differentiate it from already released and successful Xbox360. Playstation would have chosen a similar or lower target price while designing ps5, just to make sure it does well in its core markets. ps5 disc is definitely 499$ or 449$.

Dabaus

Banned
I assume the Ps5 was built in mind to be 399 to begin with, the sudden spike in certain parts is what makes it uncertain that they will tech that. I read recently that certain parts have come down in cost recently (someone here shared a link I believe) so idk what to think. I do think the disc less version will be 399 no matter what though.

Texas Pride

Banned
Digital edition 399 and regular edition for 449. Been on that train from the jump and we're riding it. Sony may not want to eat that loss but they will to maintain market share.

Last edited:

protonion

Digital will be priced aggressively. The profit margin from software is significantly higher than physical and they would want most people to buy this. 399

The other model cannot be just 50 more expensive or they kill the DE. 499

Even if the go for the overkill and put DE at 349 they have no reason for a cheaper non digital model.

So either 399-499 or 349-499.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
$499 and $449

The digital unit can't cost much less, it only differs in the drive and the size, neither of which amounts to much. The good news is it is one console to design games for and not waste resources for developers.

MiguelItUp

It would be brilliant for them to price match it. But knowing Sony's fanbase, I'm sure they could get away with it being $50-$100 more just fine. I almost see it being a bit more with all the tech they're apparently putting into the controller, etc.

A $399 standard edition will really resonate well with the masses, the casuals, and the internet.

$399 standard edition
$499 digital edition with 1.65TB SSD

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
At this point. Only god knows as I'm pretty sure Sony don't.

FStubbs

Well

Tech-Specs-1.jpg

Its all official

The Xbox One X seems more powerful than the Series S. At the very least it has a stronger GPU (6 TF)

truth411

$399 for base PS5, $349 discless. Sony knows they can't go same price as XSX because it honestly isn't perceived as the same value. If you're a gamer who is on the fence, you're going to go with XSX if PS5 is same price.
Heck no, PS5 has games folks want to play, its as simple as that. Sony is going to market the heck out of Spiderman this holiday, while Xbox has?

$499
$399

Book it.

FireFly

Not really, in the end its all about transistor count and hence die-size. Because thats basically dictating yield cost. If you look at what's eating all the space on the Series X SoC, the majority gets eaten up by the GPU, Ryzen cores are comparatively tiny, as are all the supplemental devices which do mostly the same things the PS5's counterparts do.

Point being, Sony could double the die-space occupied by those parts, and would still end up with a substantially smaller chip just because they opted for a 36 rather than 52cu GPU.
A 40 CU 5700 XT (RDNA 1) takes up 251 mm^2, so that would put the PS5's APU at ~285mm^2, or ~21% smaller than the XSX's. A 21% difference in size is not going to equate to a $100+ difference in the total cost. Especially since other components of the system are probably more expensive, such as the SSD.

Fbh

I hope it's $499 with disk drive and $450 or even $399 without (they might be willing to take the hit to offer and aggressive price en push more people to digital).
Though I half expect it will be $550 with disc drive $499 without.

Either way, the meltdowns will be legendary. Looking forward to it

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The longer we go without knowing, the more we all understand it's going to be higher than Xbox

Top Bottom