• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now With Xbox Series X Price Point Has Officially Been Announced To Be $499, How Much Will PlayStation 5 Cost?

FStubbs

I cant imagine disc Ps5 being more than 499 with the power gap itll have vs Series X. So I think 499 and 449. Disc drive doesnt cost 100 so i dont think were getting 100 discount.

Rethinking discless. Maybe they would sell at 399 at a loss since they get more on each software purchase.

Sony's marketing is that the SSD makes the PS5 much more powerful than the Series X.

mistakable

Neo Member
I’m pretty hopeful for $449 $399... and £449 £399, figure the reason to be producing ten million consoles for first year is for price manoeuvrability, and sony imo is looking to be cheaper than ms.
Figure at 449 they break even at the 10mil sales mark. 399 digital will be loss making at first, with break even units being higher... but has the advantage over the long term for sony in software mark up.

Thinking $349/$449.

Can't see where in the BoM Sony is spending more. Fact is, its a smaller SoC and uses less NVRam. Stuff like haptics won't add much to the build cost.
Absolutely no way with all that custom i/o work, custom SSD and custom cooling solution, coupled with around 10+ TF and Ryzen 2, i just cant see it being that low at all. I'm thinking even higher than X.

Spokker

My understanding is that the only difference between the PS5 Digital and the PS5 is the disc drive. So I don't think the price gap would be more than $50 unless they discount it further if they think having players in their walled garden has value (no physical sales Sony has no control over).

Lone Wolf

I think $499 and $449. If they get the digital edition to $399 it would be a big win, but I doubt it gets that low.

MilkyJoe

Difficult to say, they have the market share to charge more, but the economy is down the shitter... Hard, the future is to see

The Alien

Banned
I see the following:

$499 Digital PS5
$599 Disc PS5

A $50 price difference is not enough of a deterrent for people to buy the digital (Sony wants customers digital).

Sony will further separate themselves from XBox by pricing their product as a premium product (interestingly XBox is going after budget market with the Series S).

The parts for the PS5 are expensive. Playstation is Sony's cashcow. They need to make a profit...not take a loss.

Sony have had a while since the XSX and XSS price "leaks" were "leaked" to counter with better prices, or at least similar pricing and it's still radio silence from them. To me that means they were caught off-guard and may have expected pricing to be $599 or more.

I'm thinking the PS5 will be something like $549/$599, but was probably going to be $599/$699. Jim Ryan has already mentioned they may not have the lowest price.

They might have to make the console out lower-grade plastics now to offset the added losses.

This console gen has been a hell of a roller coaster ride! I almost wish the consoles were still a year away so this could go on.

Entroyp

$499... why would it cost more to make than the XsX? Or why would they sell it for less?

The DE is harder to determine though... $50 or $100 less the Disc one.

Last edited:

pullcounter

$399 for base PS5, $349 discless. Sony knows they can't go same price as XSX because it honestly isn't perceived as the same value. If you're a gamer who is on the fence, you're going to go with XSX if PS5 is same price.

Not if you already have a gaming PC

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If Series S can be $300 with gimped specs including a worse cpu than SeX, PS5 could be $400/$500 as it's cpu is 100 mhz slower than S.

Last edited:
Sony have had a while since the XSX and XSS price "leaks" were "leaked" to counter with better prices, or at least similar pricing and it's still radio silence from them. To me that means they were caught off-guard and may have expected pricing to be $599 or more.

I'm thinking the PS5 will be something like $549/$599, but was probably going to be $599/$699. Jim Ryan has already mentioned they may not have the lowest price.

This console gen has been a hell of a roller coaster ride! I almost wish the consoles were still a year away so this could go on.

You don't announce your prices based on leaks lmao. Especially given how we've heard anywhere from $300 to $700 for these consoles.

Last edited:

Entroyp

I see the following:

$499 Digital PS5
$599 Disc PS5

A $50 price difference is not enough of a deterrent for people to buy the digital (Sony wants customers digital).

Sony will further separate themselves from XBox by pricing their product as a premium product (interestingly XBox is going after budget market with the Series S).

The parts for the PS5 are expensive. Playstation is Sony's cashcow. They need to make a profit...not take a loss.

This makes no sense... Sony actually needs PS in people’s hands to make money and does not rely on subscription services sold in PC or elsewhere.

Also, what’s more expensive inside the PS? The slower RAM, smaller SoC? Storage might be but it’s less than 1 TB...

TTOOLL

Sony are foolish if they sell either for less than 599 as they're in a position where they can charge whatever they want as the fanatics that are seen in droves on this site will lap it up and spount nonsense about how much its worth it.

Sony are throwing away money if they charge less than 599.

This is one the most absurd things I've ever read here :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

jigglet

Banned
$499 for full version and $399 for discless.

Would honestly be completely shocked by anything else.

My prediction too. It's not about the disc drive being worth $100 (it's not), it's about the insane profit margins you make on digital versions of games. I don't know why people are reasoning that the disc drive can't be worth more than like $20 (which is true) therefore that's the discount. It has nothing to do with that.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This makes no sense... Sony actually needs PS in people’s hands to make money and does not rely on subscription services sold in PC or elsewhere.

Also, what’s more expensive inside the PS? The slower RAM, smaller SoC? Storage might be but it’s less than 1 TB...
The only thing more expensive in PS5 is going to be the SSD and whatever that Tempest 3D audio chip is worth.

Everything else in X is better.

Since none of us know the costs of parts, it comes down to which stuff skews at a higher cost.

By the sounds of it, it'll probably be really close.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
People thinking the DE is going to be $399 are nuts. They aren't going to take a $50+ loss on each system. I mean, that would make me very happy, but I don't see it happening. With supply being constrained, they know they can come out of the gate high and still sell out.

Last edited:

Arkam

Disc $499 (maybe a smidge less to $475 to be cheeky)

DE <$499 and probably closer to 400

But we shall see. Really depends how much Sony think the price is a factor this fall or if they think they have content to justify a higher price.

Entroyp

The only thing more expensive in PS5 is going to be the SSD and whatever that Tempest 3D audio chip is worth.

Everything else in X is better.

Since none of us know the costs of parts, it comes down to which stuff skews at a higher cost.

By the sounds of it, it'll probably be really close.

Yea I agree...XsX went hard on tech specs and the final price is phenomenal.

I don’t get why people say PS5 will be more expensive when aside from the SSD, which has less of, everything else is more conservative and/or cost conscious.

Arkam

People thinking the DE is going to be $399 are nuts. They aren't going to take a $50+ loss on each system. I mean, that would make me very happy, but I don't see it happening. With supply being constrained, they know they can come out of the gate high and still sell out.
That would be made in what? 3-4 digital games? Not that crazy really.

Thirty7ven

Banned
If the PS5 is a single dollar over 499$, they are doing it wrong. If the PS5 DE is only 50$ cheaper, it has no business existing.

At 399$ the PS5 DE becomes the biggest business driver in the market.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don’t get why people say PS5 will be more expensive when aside from the SSD, which has less of, everything else is more conservative and/or cost conscious.
Because people are assuming (if you use PC SSD costs as a benchmark), the PS5 SSD is a super expensive component based on whatever similar PC SSDs are on the market.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
That would be made in what? 3-4 digital games? Not that crazy really.
Over the life of the console it is huge. Let's say they produce 40 million at that cost and sell for a $50 loss. That's 2 billion dollars.

Entroyp

Nobody brings up other components because it's weaker. It's all-in SSD.

Oh I see.. people are purposely ignoring all the other components where Sony seemed to have cut corners to keep costs under control to argument that it is more expensive to produce.

Arkam

Over the life of the console it is huge. Let's say they produce 40 million at that cost and sell for a $50 loss. That's 2 billion dollars.
I dont disagree. Its a big cost. But if they were looking to lock a consumer in, it might be worth the gamble. And remember you can technically "make it back" but not lower the price at the rate you would with a higher price. And you will be (hopefully) be selling at a larger volume by that point.

Stuart360

I just cant see the main console being more than $499. People will ask why pay more than XSX for a weaker system. XB1 had the excuse becuase of Kinect, PS5 has no Kinect style thing.

Zathalus

$499 for the PS5. DE could be either $449 or $399 depending on how much of a loss Sony is willing to tolerate for PSN lock-in.

DeaDPo0L84

PS5 digital being $400, $100 cheaper than the XSX would be a big blow. Sure one has a drive and one doesn't but it almost mimics exactly the $100 price difference between the PS4 and Xbox One at launch.

lingpanda

Being the weaker console I hope it's cheaper than $499. If not that's a hard pill to swallow. I'm hoping it's $349 for digital and $399 for disc version.

farmerboy

I think they'll try to match, but can probably afford to be 50 bucks dearer.

Probably $499 digital and $549 physical.

Bartski

Gold Member
they will slightly undercut XsX with the discless PS5, which is the one they really care about selling

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Absolutely no way with all that custom i/o work, custom SSD and custom cooling solution, coupled with around 10+ TF and Ryzen 2, i just cant see it being that low at all. I'm thinking even higher than X.

The SoC will be smaller and thus cheaper to manufacture than the X, and remember that single chip is basically everything apart from the NVram chips which again are fewer than in the X. Even accounting for the additional BoM on chassis, cooling, and controller it should cost no more than the X, and I strongly suspect lower.

It appears to me the work was done during R+D, its sunken cost. Beyond that its purely a matter of how many good chips they can produce per wafer.

Top Bottom