• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now With Xbox Series X Price Point Has Officially Been Announced To Be $499, How Much Will PlayStation 5 Cost?

FireFly

Look at the difference in relative space usage! On that SX die the special non CPU/GPU parts occupy less than half of that occupied by the CPU, which itself is maybe 20% of the total die. This means that those parts on the PS5 chip would need to be enormously larger in order to come close to losing basically 30% of the GPU.

Don't forget the SX GPU is a 56cu part with 4 disabled for yields so assuming that the PS5 GPU uses 36/40, you are looking at a very substantial space, and thus cost saving. Its likely to be a cheaper part to manufacture, and given how highly its clocked I'd suspect yields have to good.
Lets look at it a different way. We know that an 8 core Zen 2 cluster is ~60 mm^2 or more. So if we take that away from the total die size of the XSX APU, we get ~300mm^2 for the non-CPU portion.

So, Microsoft is able to fit 56 CUs into ~300mm^2 of space. We know however that a 5700 XT has 40 CUs and fits in 251 mm^2 of space. So Microsoft added 40% more compute power with only 20% more space, plus adding hardware raytracing support and other new RDNA2 features. How did they do this? Based on the transistor counts, the two chips have almost the same density. So it's reasonable to assume they kept the layout exactly the same as the 5700 XT which had 2 shader engines containing 4 shader arrays, and 5 dual CUs per array for a total of 10 * 4 = 40.

However, since they didn't have the die space to add more shader engines or arrays, to scale wider, they instead would have added 2 more dual compute units to each of the 4 existing shader arrays, making 7 dual CUs or 14 total CUs per array, so that 4 * 14 = 56. And that's exactly what the rumours indicate:

So seeing how PS5 has an even smaller difference in CUs, it makes sense to think the arrangement is the same, but with less CUs per array. However, thinking about it, there isn't a symmetric arrangement to get there. So actually I think it is likely the PS5 is a 40 CU part, with 4 CUs disabled for yields, as with the desktop 5700. And then we are back with the same ~251mm^2 die size for the GPU portion. I just can't see how the PS5 APU can be much less than 300 mm^2, unless they have taken an axe to the entire design and ripped out the fixed function units.

The disc version will be $499. There really shouldn't be a debate about that. Anyone thinking it will be higher or lower is delusional.

The price for the digital version is the real question.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I'm going with what i've thought all along, $499 for disk based, $450 for digital. They really have no reason to drop the digital one lower than that since they're the same system minus the disk drive.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So seeing how PS5 has an even smaller difference in CUs, it makes sense to think the arrangement is the same, but with less CUs per array. However, thinking about it, there isn't a symmetric arrangement to get there. So actually I think it is likely the PS5 is a 40 CU part, with 4 CUs disabled for yields, as with the desktop 5700. And then we are back with the same ~251mm^2 die size for the GPU portion. I just can't see how the PS5 APU can be much less than 300 mm^2, unless they have taken an axe to the entire design and ripped out the fixed function units.

Its still 40 versus 56. Those components must physically exist in silicon so the space occupied by them is an unavoidable consideration. Look at AMD's Navi block diagram, the compute units occupy the majority of the die space because they are where the complex work gets done. The wavefront array setup isn't relevant to the amount of area they require.

Just assuming, as you suggest, that the PS5 apu sits on 300mm^2 die, that's a pretty huge saving versus a 360mm^2 part fabbed at the same scale. And given how much of the overall bom these chips are likely to represent... a 20% saving on a $200 part is $40, that's a solid chunk.

Lol, all these Xbox fans hoping Sony prices the PS5 higher so Xbox has a shot.

What I want to see:
PS5 DE - $399
PS5 - $419

Realistically, I'm seeing:
PS5 DE - $399
PS5 - $449

The highest it will be:
PS5 DE - $449
PS5 - $499

semicool

Banned
Ps5 disc drive $599
Ps5 all digital $549

Sony cannot take a loss like MS can, they tried before with the ps3 after being the industry leader with the ps2 and it almost bankrupt them. They'll never take that type of loss again.

Last edited:

FireFly

Its still 40 versus 56. Those components must physically exist in silicon so the space occupied by them is an unavoidable consideration. Look at AMD's Navi block diagram, the compute units occupy the majority of the die space because they are where the complex work gets done. The wavefront array setup isn't relevant to the amount of area they require.

Just assuming, as you suggest, that the PS5 apu sits on 300mm^2 die, that's a pretty huge saving versus a 360mm^2 part fabbed at the same scale. And given how much of the overall bom these chips are likely to represent... a 20% saving on a $200 part is $40, that's a solid chunk.
Sure, I'm not indicating otherwise. I can believe that the BOM for PS5 is $450 and the BOM for the Series X is $500. I just can't see $100 worth of additional savings that would allow Sony to price well below $400, unless they are prepared to lose money on each unit.

Last edited:
No they can't , not with the current BOM. It almost bankrupt them with the ps3 after killing it with the ps2.

Yes they can.

The PS3 didn't teach them not to sell their console at a large loss. It taught them not to make their consoles ridiculously expensive to build or sell

Do you think they sold the PS2 at a small loss? Lol no that thing was expensive to make at launch.

They're in the most secure position they've ever been in. They can easily take a $100+ loss if they want

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
499 for disc

399 for digital

Both 299 if you buy 2 years of psplusnow combo

The choice is yours.

For me it will be free.
I believe in santa.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sure, I'm not indicating otherwise. I can believe that the BOM for PS5 is $450 and the BOM for the Series X is $500. I just can't see $100 worth of additional savings that would allow Sony to price well below $400, unless they are prepared to lose money on each unit.

My take is that Sony will be willing to take a hit on the digital PS5 purely because services like PS+ are worth so much to their overall income. As I wrote in another post, I'd be very surprised if MS turn more profit per subscriber from GamePass than Sony do from each PS+ user purely down to the running cost disparity. Which by extension means that its kinda imperative for Sony to protect that ongoing revenue stream at all costs.

But hey, what do I know :D Playing armchair economist is way too easy because there's no real risk to counter the potential rewards of any strategy. The only thing I'd find truly unlikely is for Sony to go above $500, and that's purely because I doubt the internals of the PS5 justify that much. The specs seem planned to hit a $400-$450 target, highly efficient but not overly reliant on sheer horsepower.

pyrocro

PS5
$499
$449 -DV
if the stockholders say no no we will not lose any money at the start

it will be $529 and $479

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I think they’ll be far more willing to be aggressive with the Digital Edition price with the expectation that everyone has to go through the PS Store for games and this can only buy the games new. I think they’re going to price the digital one lower than people expect, but price the Standard one probably right where people expect.
Been saying it for awhile. $399 digital with the long term dollars assured. $499 disc

supernova8

Banned
$599
$499

"I think the best way that we can address this is by providing the best possible value proposition that we can. I don't necessarily mean lowest price. Value is a combination of many things. In our area it means games, it means number of games, depth of games, breadth of games, quality of games, price of games... all of these things and how they avail themselves of the feature set of the platform."

Surely that was just something he said to cover his ass at the time because they had no idea what Xbox pricing would be. It may well be that they're going 499 and 399 for normal and digital respectively.

Ovech-King

Gold Member
499$ hands down. They couldn't care less about the power figure. They have the exclusives people crave and they know it

Surely that was just something he said to cover his ass at the time because they had no idea what Xbox pricing would be. It may well be that they're going 499 and 399 for normal and digital respectively.

It also could have been a response to the rumors of the Xbox Series S being so cheap. Even if they come in at 399$ it still wouldn't be the cheapest.

Last edited:

Compsiox

Banned
There will definitely be at least a 100 dollar difference between digital and disc editions.

For some reason people only look at the cost of the disc drive and not the money Sony would make from a digital only console.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
There will definitely be at least a 100 dollar difference between digital and disc editions.

For some reason people only look at the cost of the disc drive and not the money Sony would make from a digital only console.
Video game consoles are in the only industry in the world where the consumer sees two products, notices one of them has a different feature, and assumes the difference in price between the two systems should only be the manufacturing cost price of the feature.

Who knows why.

Last edited:

truth411

Or they DO care about games, with 95% of games being multiplatform, with the majority of them probably being better on XSX.
Ahhhh The old exclusive content don't matter narrative, well you got what you want lol.
But no, most folks play where there friends are, COD will look fine on PlayStation, they already showed it, no complaints. But you get to play multiplats and awesome exclusives games with PS5. The only strategy MS has left since Xbox is just a multiplat device is price point, and thats what they did with the XSS. Its a great price, it sets the XSS up to be a solid second console.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
£499 for disc version and £349 for the digital edition.

Or, if Sony didn't give a shit about their share holders and went bat shit crazy, £349 for disc version and £299 for all digital version.

VN1X

Banned
499eu and 439eu.

Sony knows they will have the best looking and high-profile games so they don't need to go lower than that.

As much as I'd want Sony to price it at $699 and see the meltdown happen but not at the price, but at seeing a complete sell out of the PS5 worldwide, I'd say I am expecting PS5 to be $499 max!

slade

I think Sony should go for the killshot, 399/349. They made the majority of their money this gen from PSN and only because they were able to sell so many PS4's. If they want to get back to 150 million like in the PS2 days, they have to be price conscious. It is not about how much they sell in the first few days but rather how much momentum they can gain and maintain over the long term.

Pricing high and then lowering the price devalues the product as well. Just ask MS. Price it at 399/349 and keep it at that for a few years with the occasional or pack in discount during the holidays.

I don't think Sony has much reason to be as concerned about Microsoft's price point. I get this feeling that Sony thinks they can push the envelope and go for $599 if they wanted to. Their lineup of games is better, and their success this generation. Microsoft has had a real problem with messaging, and it has showed in the passing months. Sony has mostly just had positive buzz whenever they say something.

I am not a fanboy by any stretch. I go where the game, and best value are. For me personally, that's still the Nintendo Switch for me, but I'll buy a next gen console if I can afford it.

MobileOrder

Neo Member
Still a business, no way they can or should go lower than $499 / DE $399 (hope but likely $449), w/Miles & Demon Souls as launch month games along with PS5 patch for Ghost of T = I and many others will be there day 1.

Justin9mm

A lot of people here saying $50 difference from disk to digital. Is it just me or does anyone else think buying digital and cutting off all advantages and ability of physical just to save $50 is absolutely insane! I mean its ridiculously stupid.

sendit

A lot of people here saying $50 difference from disk to digital. Is it just me or does anyone else think buying digital and cutting off all advantages and ability of physical just to save $50 is absolutely insane! I mean its ridiculously stupid.

Haven’t purchased a physical game for the entirety of this generation. Additionally, digital sales have surpassed physical sales. Physical medium is going away.

Top Bottom