• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now With Xbox Series X Price Point Has Officially Been Announced To Be $499, How Much Will PlayStation 5 Cost?

Justin9mm

Haven’t purchased a physical game for the entirety of this generation. Additionally, digital sales have surpassed physical sales. Physical medium is going away.
I get that but that is not the majority of people, I have also bought mostly all digital, I prefer digital(games) for convenience.

But in Australia new release physical games are $69 AUD.. digital is $99.95.. I buy the physical, finish it and if I want to keep owning it, then I wait for digital sale and then sell the physical. If it's like a one and done single player campaign and I don't want to keep/own it, I can sell it for $50 AUD used easily. No point owning a game digital I will never play again unless its on really cheap sale.

Digital does not work in the Australian market because of the pricing structure. No point saving $50-$100 AUD buying digital console, only to spend $30 AUD more for every single game you buy. It's nice to have the option of physical regardless. It's just a silly decision to buy a digital PS5 console in our market.

Last edited:
A lot of people seem to forget (or maybe they are too young to remember) that Sony often likes to sell at a loss and make profits by other means.They have done so ever since the first playstation and they can do it again,especially now that they have more ways to make profits.

They even promote the official headset, charging station, and remote in addition to controllers this early on. PS5 will be sold at a loss and there are ways to recoup the loss both in short term and long term.

Digital Edition will be high on ROI because of the fact that all games will be bought through PSN and there is no second hand sales.

HoodWinked

i wouldnt be surprised if they pulled a 3DS and raised the price for launch cause they know demand will be greater than supply. if the consoles are going to sell out anyways why not ring more money out of people.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
i wouldnt be surprised if they pulled a 3DS and raised the price for launch cause they know demand will be greater than supply. if the consoles are going to sell out anyways why not ring more money out of people.
Any product can do that, but unless your a flea market peddler or eBay seller, typically corporations and retailers do not try to maximize sales by jacking up the price for the first 3 months to take advantage of early buyers.

No doubt most things come down in price, but that's due to the huge surge of sales are already done and they are just trying to get late adopters or bargain hunters.

Something like a console that lasts for 6 years and has most of its sales later would be a weird thing to have MS, Sony or retailers charging $700, then $600, the $500 after only a short time, and then get back to a normal $400-ish price.

I get what you are proposing, but doing something like that would be noticed and seen as greedy by gamers.

$599 Disc version
$499 Digital version

I think Sony think (and they are right) that they are so far ahead that they can realistically come in high and drop the price in 12 months...

Top Bottom