• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD April 2011 Sales Results [Update 6: Nintendo DS Hardware, Pokemon LTD]

Bigfoot

Marius_ said:
Given the seven, the top 10 would be something like

-Mortal Kombat (360)
-Mortal Kombat(PS3)
-Portal 2 (360)
-Portal 2 (PS3)
-Crysis 2 (360)
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters (360)
-Michael Jackson: The Experience (360)
-Pokemon White (NDS
-Pokemon Black (NDS)
-SOCOM 4 (PS3)

(no particular order)
That sounds about right

I think given what we know, this is the Top 10 individual:

1) Mortal Kombat (PS3)
2) Mortal Kombat (360)
3) Portal 2 (360)
4) Portal 2 (PS3)
5) Crysis 2 (360)
6) Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters (360)
7) Just Dance 2 (Wii)
8) Michael Jackson: The Experience (360)
9) Pokemon White (NDS)
10) Pokemon Black (NDS)

The order may not be correct except for #1 and #10. I wouldn't expect anything to move more than 1 or 2 spots from what I have above.

Also, If bundles are counted, SOCOM 4 (PS3) would be inserted somewhere and shift everything down.

Congrats to NetherRealm studios on their success. This proves that Mortal Kombat is still a brand to reckon with. Bring on MK2!

Porthos said:
I think given what we know, this is the Top 10 individual:

1) Mortal Kombat (PS3)
2) Mortal Kombat (360)
3) Portal 2 (360)
4) Portal 2 (PS3)
5) Crysis 2 (360)
6) Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters (360)
7) Just Dance 2 (Wii)
8) Michael Jackson: The Experience (360)
9) Pokemon White (NDS)
10) Pokemon Black (NDS)

The order may not be correct except for #1 and #10. I wouldn't expect anything to move more than 1 or 2 spots from what I have above.

Also, If bundles are counted, SOCOM 4 (PS3) would be inserted somewhere and shift everything down.

If Amazon is any sort of accurate indicator I think the top 4 may actually be..

1) Mortal Kombat (PS3)
2) Portal 2 (360)
3) Portal 2 (PS3)
4) Mortal Kombat (360)

UberTag

infinityBCRT said:
If Amazon is any sort of accurate indicator I think the top 4 may actually be..

1) Mortal Kombat (PS3)
2) Portal 2 (360)
3) Portal 2 (PS3)
4) Mortal Kombat (360)
If that 60% more on X360 stat from CNBC is to be believed, we're actually looking at:

1) Portal 2 (360)
2) Mortal Kombat (PS3)
3) Mortal Kombat (360)
4) Portal 2 (PS3)

Shocking.

Dance In My Blood said:
Nintendo earned it. I'm not sure any 3DS games even came out in April.
Crappy Splinter Cell 3DS shipped in April. :D

Curufinwe

jling84 said:
Not surprised at all that the 360 version of Portal outsold the PS3 version. Called it as soon as the extra steam copy was announced exclusively for the PS3. At this point, no amount of exclusive content will make the PS3 version of a multiplat game outsell the 360 version, short of the 360 version being completely unplayable. Even if that were to happen I think the 360 version would still outsell, you would just get a lot of returns.

It happened just a year ago with FF XIII, and that didn't have any extra content, just slightly better graphics and less discs.

LCfiner said:
ouch at that 50% drop for 3DS.

I wonder if the below expected sales are due more to the launch price of lackluster launch lineup (or just a straight 50/50 combination of both)? I guess both.

More the software, I think. Certainly, April offered no compelling reasons for anyone who didn't buy the system at launch to buy one. May will be pretty much the same (I don't expect DOA:D to have much of an impact on hardware sales), but June will be much more interesting.

Kusagari

allan-bh said:
Portal 2:

Xbox 360 version outsold PlayStation 3 version by more than 60 percent.

lol knew this was gonna happen. Portal already had a built in base from the 360 Orange Box destroying the PS3 one.

Replicant said:
Mortal Kombat really deserves it. Such a good story mode for fighting game.

Really? Wow, I had zero interest before, since I have so many fighting games that I never play, but a good story mode is cool. Glad you mentioned it.

Huff

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
Nintendo earned it. I'm not sure any 3DS games even came out in April.

I sure haven't gotten one yet. Neither did my brothers who always hop on new nintendo handhelds. Or any of their friends. Its pretty dead. For now.

FrankT

MrPink93485 said:
Article also says 360 version of Portal 2 outsold PS3 version by 60%. That seems to be pretty close in line with the UK split I believe.

Yea, that settles that then. I figured it might come in line with the UK figures, but didn't think the spread would be that wide. Of course I said this would happen long ago.

fernoca

Re: Portal 2
People need to keep in mind that Xbox 360 owners got The Orange Box first (and a well done port too) and the exclusive Still Alive which still manages to chart in the weekly sales.

PS3 owners only got The Orange Box, late and along with harsh words about the quality of the port. So the added bonus if anything made some 360/PC owners change to the PS3 version, more than attracting new users.

So, in many people's mind Portal is an Xbox 360/PC game.

I just like how everyone is scurrying for scraps under the table nowadays from the NPD drought. CNBC, Amazon numbers. . . you name it it's all here. Please sir can I have some more. . .

1-D_FTW

LCfiner said:
ouch at that 50% drop for 3DS.

I wonder if the below expected sales are due more to the launch price of lackluster launch lineup (or just a straight 50/50 combination of both)? I guess both.

I'd say both. The lineup took the wind out of people's sails and made them look real hard at the system for 249.99. And once that launch period euphoria passes and the buzz wears off, it takes a compelling reason to purchase. 3DS isn't offering many reasons at the moment. Makes it easy to have resolve at the 249.99 price.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
MrPink93485 said:
Article also says 360 version of Portal 2 outsold PS3 version by 60%. That seems to be pretty close in line with the UK split I believe.
Yup. UK was about 60 > 30 > 10 (retail PC).

Doesn't seem that surprising to me. Orange Box did better on 360, Portal was also on xbla.

FrankT

CadetMahoney said:
I just like how everyone is scurrying for scraps under the table nowadays from the NPD drought. CNBC, Amazon numbers. . . you name it it's all here. Please sir can I have some more. . .

CNBC is much better source than Amazon will ever be. Amazon is not a legit source nor has it ever been.

Seda

I think Portal 2 was easily more successful on 360 because of the sheer number of fans that played the Orange Box on 360.

Beaten.

Jtyettis said:
Yea, that settles that then. I figured it might come in line with the UK figures, but didn't think the spread would be that wide. Of course I said this would happen long ago.

I think ultimately, we overestimated the impact of the free PC copy and didn't consider some of the things the PS3 version had going against it (not many PS3 only users likely played Portal on the Orange Box....Valve games usually releasing on 360, PSN, etc)

Bigfoot

user_nat said:
Interesting. Has that always been there?

Evilore must have addition information, because the NPD release doesn't say that.
http://media.industrygamers.com/editorial/2011/05/npdapril2011.png

Different ordering that tends to make sense (like Lego being Wii > 360). Maybe NPD is just being mean.
If it doesn't indicate # of sales ordering, I would guess it indicates $ sales order. Since 360 and PS3 games cost the same, I think it is safe to assume that the order indicates # of sales order when comparing these two systems.

Hmmmm really hope the 3ds doesnt turn out like the last time nintendo made 3d hardware. I just dont want my investment of two 3ds's to go nowhere.

Seda said:
I think Portal 2 was easily more successful on 360 because of the sheer number of fans that played the Orange Box on 360.

Beaten.

As well as Valve's awesome support of the platform (not counting PC/Mac) with Left 4 Dead 1/2 and Portal Still Alive.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I'll never understand those Kinect numbers. Really just amazing. I imagine it'll even get more popular once Microsoft integrates Skype with Xbox Live.

DAT LEGS....NBA 2K11 charting every single month is just ridunkulous...

lg_jordan_dunk.jpg

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Portal 2 -- 637K
Crysis 2 -- 236K
NBA2K11 -- 190K

Combined platforms, new physical retail only.

Numbers are real, unable to comment further. And this is not a policy shift re: leaks, so don't get any ideas.

Outtrigger888 said:
Hmmmm really hope the 3ds doesnt turn out like the last time nintendo made 3d hardware. I just dont want my investment of two 3ds's to go nowhere.

Easy there four-eyes.... there's literally no way that will happen.

Again, Nintendo has basically put out nothing for the platform. At E3 they will show off their new Mario game or whatever and then have a monster holiday.

Top Bottom