• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD August 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: OoT 3D]

Winterblink said:
As stated this is for physical copies only. If you include digital distribution, I'm sure the number would be significantly larger.

Since when has DD significant share in sales? Much easier to be a sucker and buy a boxed copy for full MSRP.

cjelly said:
Nintendo are obviously listening to you... What with them just announcing a pink DSi XL for NA launch this month.
What is the logic behind this, if the 3DS plays all the same software and costs the same? Trying to keep the profitable hardware around as long as possible?

And don't worry guys, next month everyone will have the Gears excuse for high 360 sales. The month after that, Battlefield bump. After that? Holiday bundles and Kinect soccer moms. So it won't be until about March 2012 that we can accurately gauge true consumer demand for MS' console. Push that back further if they price drop or sku shuffle in the spring.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D -- 84K

Numbers are real, unable to comment further. And this is not a policy shift re: leaks, so don't get any ideas.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
And don't worry guys, next month everyone will have the Gears excuse for high 360 sales. The month after that, Battlefield bump. After that? Holiday bundles and Kinect soccer moms. So it won't be until about March 2012 that we can accurately gauge true consumer demand for MS' console. Push that back further if they price drop or sku shuffle in the spring.
What time today should we expect the 360 price drop announcement that you told us was gonna happen?

Loudninja

EviLore said:
The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D -- 84K

Numbers are real, unable to comment further. And this is not a policy shift re: leaks, so don't get any ideas.
Got to update the topic title Evilore, otherwise no one will pay attention lol.

bigtroyjon said:
What time today should we expect the 360 price drop announcement that you told us was gonna happen?
I thought there was no way possible that the 360 would outsell the PS3 the month of a price drop, even in North America. I was wrong. If MS' mindshare is such that they can consistently outsell the PS3 at a higher ASP, Sony fucked up their brand in the US in a way not seen since the Gamecube.

So no, no 360 price drop until sales fall through the floor or something else comes along (Wii U?) to knock them from their perch.

It_Hurts

Banned
I'm surprised the PS3 didn't sell better with the price drop. That tells me that people that want one have already one or play on different platforms. There are so many choices at this point the casual gamer will not buy into it.

specialguy said:
No, nobody knows if NPD counts it or not. Mr usually wrong Pachter implied it was based on hearsay, which means it isn't because Pachters wrong LOL.

Cant believe people are acting like this matters. Are you anticipating some big slowdown of 360 sales when the deal ends in September then? It's not going to happen.

360 was selling more before this supposed deal was counted if anything, proving imo they arent counted. You wouldn't expect sales to decrease if you have a huge deal going on.

Everyone jumped on the excuse of MS giving away 360's to the press at E3 and on Oprah. It will always be something.

fernoca

Scarecrow said:
What's the running total for OoT?
June: 283k
July: Under 85k (didn't made it to the Top 10; and game #10 was Mortal Kombat with 85k)
August: 84k

400k is the safest best; slightly more probably.
Which is quite nice; considering that there's like a little over a million 3DS in the US.

OldJadedGamer said:
Everyone jumped on the excuse of MS giving away 360's to the press at E3 and on Oprah. It will always be something.

A national deal I could see pushing 360 sales, but who in the right mind thought NPD would be affected by E3 give-a-ways or on Oprah?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
fernoca said:
July: Under 85k (didn't made it to the Top 10; and game #10 was Mortal Kombat with 85k)

Which is quite nice; considering that there's like a little over a million 3DS in the US.

So

283+ 80
363 + 84

It should be at 450k circa

demosthenes said:
A national deal I could see pushing 360 sales, but who in the right mind thought NPD would be affected by E3 give-a-ways or on Oprah?

You'd be surprised but NPD always brings out the conspiracy theories and tin foil hats.

fernoca

OldJadedGamer said:
You'd be surprised but NPD always brings out the conspiracy theories and tin foil hats.
Yep:
Wii sales: Casuals!!!!
360 sales: Giveaways!!!
PS3 sales: Shortages!!!

sphinx

the piano man
have we ever got a chance to see how bad is the PSP selling?

is there any month in 2011 in which we got the PSP hardware sales?

1-D_FTW

fernoca said:
Yep:
Wii sales: Casuals!!!!
360 sales: Giveaways!!!
PS3 sales: Shortages!!!

3DS: Everyone bought it at Walmart because they officially lowered their price for the 2-Day Ambassador Glitch. NPD doesn't accurately count Walmart sales.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
While its great to see Deus Ex charting at the top...those numbers are really underwhelming.

Deus Ex with multiplayer would have sold much better.

And I love the Thief games so I have high hopes for the new game.

diddles

Banned
i'm glad sony's weak-kneed price drop was met with mostly indifference. they're going to regret two $50 cuts that generate little buzz over one $100 one that would have had a much bigger effect.

Brimstone said:
While its great to see Deus Ex charting at the top...those numbers are really underwhelming.

It's already shipped 2 million so while Madden will be #1 for September you can bet that DX will chart very high.

Cheech

Brimstone said:

I mostly bought the new Deus Ex just to let Ubi know that it's ok to spend real money on a new Thief game.

That Deus Ex ended up being as good as it was was a happy surprise. Hope it keeps selling this month.

Curufinwe

demosthenes said:
It's already shipped 2 million so while Madden will be #1 for September you can bet that DX will chart very high.

That's rather optimistic given all the games coming out this month. Madden, Gears, Resistance, Dead Island, Driver, NHL 12, etc.

Castor Krieg said:
Since when has DD significant share in sales? Much easier to be a sucker and buy a boxed copy for full MSRP.

Since when is DD typically cheaper than retail? Barring wild temporary sales of old games, DD (Steam) is typically more expensive than Amazon.

Still remember buying Portal 2 for my bro, was gonna steam gift was 49.95, was like 30 bucks on Amazon.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
demosthenes said:

Catherine shipped 300k and didn't even sell 100k. Beware! But I hope as well.

Relax.MX

Brimstone said:

S8eAF.jpg

Cheech

Curufinwe said:
That's rather optimistic given all the games coming out this month. Madden, Gears, Resistance, Dead Island, Driver, NHL 12, etc.

I don't think DX will chart in September; the legs on that game are almost going to be exclusively PC DD.

That said, none of the games you listed are going to do impressive numbers except for Gears and Madden.

For September, I can see Gears #1, Madden #2, a bunch of weird casual crap, Black Ops still hanging around, and maybe Resistance 3 and Dead Island will squeak in at #9 and #10.

The real fun doesn't begin until October's NPDs, which will feature tons of people crying about Dark Souls not charting, and Batman/BF3 blowing the doors off. And Gears and Madden hanging around.

Banned
Metal Gear?! said:
Yes it's the same idea but an incomparable execution. If Sony started giving away 360s with every TV $700 and up, not just Bravias, during a season where everyone is buying new TVs, then it would be comparable.

The Bravia deal was open to everyone. The laptop deal was students only.

Does anyone believe that these deals really make a big difference?

diddles said:
i'm glad sony's weak-kneed price drop was met with mostly indifference. they're going to regret two $50 cuts that generate little buzz over one $100 one that would have had a much bigger effect.

The problem for Sony is that they needed to drop the price by $100 in the US but keep the price the same in Europe because it's selling well over there. But they can't do that so the compromise was to drop by $50 worldwide.

ooT remake's sales are kind of disatrous no? Took forever to remake + game of all time and its sub 100k.

I'm going to guess it might still sell but... yeahh...

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Pachterballs said:
ooT remake's sales are kind of disatrous no? Took forever to remake + game of all time and its sub 100k.

It came out in June, dude.

Pachterballs said:

...don't pay attention to Nintendo game sales much do you?

Truth101

Banned
Pachterballs said:

What are you talking about? It is sitting at around 1m WW right now, and in the US alone it is at about 450k.

It will also keep selling to people picking up a 3DS for the first time.

Grinchy

Banned
The sales of the 3DS itself seem to be quite good after that price drop. If the monthly sales stay around that number from here on out, wouldn't it be a very successful handheld?

Zelda probably only did 84k here because it's a really old game for $40. Seriously, who the hell is buying that?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Pachterballs said:

Pachter by name, Pachter by nature.

fernoca

Pachterballs said:

Grinchy said:
Zelda probably only did 84k here because it's a really old game for $40. Seriously, who the hell is buying that?

fernoca said:

[Nintex]

I expected more from OOT but I think Nintendo really pissed on their Zelda fanbase with Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.

fernoca said:

Yeah it's almost 50% attachment with the 3DS. Most developers wish they had those numbers.

[Nintex] said:
I expected more from OOT but I think Nintendo really pissed on their Zelda fanbase with Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.

How so? Spirit Tracks is my third favorite LoZ title (Behind ALttP & LA)

pramath

Banned
Pachterballs said:

It sold 1 million copies in seventeen days back in June, what are you on about? :|

pramath

Banned
Grinchy said:
It's sold more than a million copies. More. Than. A. Million. Copies.
This is its third month at retail, the fact that it still managed to chart is impressive, in fact, it is indicative that the game might go on to become another one of Nintendo's evergreen titles like Mario Kart.

Top Bottom