• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD August 2019: Astral Chain #10, Control uncharted

Boss Mog

Control uncharted?
People really doesn't understand a damn about videogames...
He means that Control didn't chart in the top 20, so what exactly does he not understand about videogames when he's simply stating a fact?

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Glad to see both Astral Chain and Three Houses selling well, they deserve it. This great year for Switch.
I said i was gonna trade in my OG xbox One and buy a switch, but now I'm torn. People are talking about they are making 2 new versions of switch and I would be really mad if there's like a pro version within the next year. I really really really want Astral Chain.

Last edited:

Bergoglio

EETFMDuWsAESbVn.jpg:large

September gonna be it for KH3 at number two as Madden overtakes it.

By December, Modern Warfare should shoot to 1.
Where is Spiderman?

ethomaz

Banned
End of gen is complicated.
Well we had 3 end of gen in the last 20 years and none so low like that.
In fact end of gen for PS2 gen showed increase in sales instead decrease :D but of course that was an abnormality.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
He means that Control didn't chart in the top 20, so what exactly does he not understand about videogames when he's simply stating a fact?
Matt said it charted at 23rd and there is no digital sales included.

Maybe it should chart if digital sales were included but I don't believe it will be in the TOP seller games at all.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
In fact end of gen for PS2 gen showed increase in sales instead decrease :D but of course that was an abnormality.

This is a weird end of gen, because MS isn't even trying (for the most part) and Nintendo isn't at the end. It's odd. Plus the month of August was a non-month for Sony really.

Micolash

Neo Member
What are you talking about!!? Almost all original IP they worked on turned out fantastic that includes Astral Chain.
I found MGRR, Transformers Devastation, Nier Automata, and Starfox Zero to all be quite underwhelming. I just stopped purchasing their games now.

Where did you hear from that Control was only 5 hours long?
I guess you can drag it out to 6-7 from extras. Also little replayability and only one difficulty setting.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Well, a price cut should in order already. I think they rested on the laurels a hair too long for moving units, even though they are not really suffering for it due to the profit margins and increased revenue from all sources combined (in comparison to the past).

Talking about your next system so early I am sure had some impact as well.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Well, a price cut should in order already. I think they rested on the laurels a hair too long for moving units, even though they are not really suffering for it due to the profit margins and increased revenue from all sources combined (in comparison to the past).

Talking about your next system so early I am sure had some impact as well.

The OG PS4 really should be $199 with a free game at this point.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'll get Control after it's cheaper. I already have a ton to play.

My reservations with the game were related to gameplay. Just seems like you shoot stuff and throw chairs and that's about it. And I heard the framerate was rough.

ruvikx

Banned
I've seen a few clips, images & skimmed over some reviews for Control & it has zero appeal for me. I loved Alan Wake, never got past the first part of Quantum Break (boring) & this new game looks like generic tryhard science-fiction schlock with an inconsequential plot & irrelevant main character in a linear experience. It's awkward for Remedy though because this gen has proven single player games can & do sell well (God of War most recently), so they're doing something wrong & cannot solely blame the market.

My reservations with the game were related to gameplay. Just seems like you shoot stuff and throw chairs and that's about it. And I heard the framerate was rough.

Yes. It's basically "look at this intense person in an intense science fiction shooting intense guns at intense stuff & blowing intense things to pieces... oh & she's a woman as well!".

Yeah and? I have other stuff to play instead. "She" doesn't even look good either. It's all fine & dandy making design choices which please a minority of woke reviewers & reset, but what about mass market appeal? It's not there, ergo they don't make money. Life is that simple sometimes.

NickFire

Every month I am consistently surprised that enough people did not own GTA 5 that it can still chart. Is everyone buying a second and third copy of this game now?

Cheers to Rockstar. To have a game chart for this long is amazing.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I found MGRR, Transformers Devastation, Nier Automata, and Starfox Zero to all be quite underwhelming. I just stopped purchasing their games now.
There are lots of people (including me) enjoyed Automata and MGRR and you forget about Platinum’s original IPs like Bayonetta 1&2, Vanquish, MadWorld, Wonderful 101 and now Astral Chain which all turned out great. If you personally don’t like their games then that’s your taste but we do, that why we buy them.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Legit what.
Z7OCBZr.jpg

The marketing looked drab, action looked drab, main character looked drab, the story was ‘go in building and chuck garbage at bad guys for reasons we aren’t going to tell you because we are so mysterious.’

I want single player games to thrive big time, but control’s marketing was sooooo bad: boring, drab, depressing, confusing.......no way was i going to pay full price for what they were showing.

Micolash

Neo Member
There are lots of people (including me) enjoyed Automata and MGRR and you forget about Platinum’s original IPs like Bayonetta 1&2, Vanquish, MadWorld, Wonderful 101 and now Astral Chain which all turned out great. If you personally don’t like their games then that’s your taste but we do, that why we buy them.
I personally have just found them really derivative and shallow, but I can see why some people might enjoy them. I haven't enjoyed a P* game since Vanquish.

DESTROYA

I don't know how people keep buying P* games given their track record, so a bit disappointed that Astral Chain charted. And a 5 hour game with little replay value and technical issues should be flopping imo so glad to hear that Control flopped.
Are you one of those people mad it’s not cross platform?
Either someone lied to you or you have no clue about the game.

Aricer

Neo Member

I guess you can drag it out to 6-7 from extras. Also little replayability and only one difficulty setting.

I'd say more like 10 hours+ actually, pretty big difference.

And I see that people seem to think it's a woke game? It definitely doesn't feel like one if it was supposed to be one.

I'd sorta agree that MGR and Nier were underwhelming, though in the combat systems mostly.

Danjin44

I really wish we got Astral Chain's collectors edition in US and Canada, it felt like Nintendo advertise this game more for Euro more than they did for NA.
I personally have just found them really derivative and shallow, but I can see why some people might enjoy them. I haven't enjoyed a P* game since Vanquish.
I'm guessing you didn't even bother playing games like Bayonetta or W101, they are anything but shallow. I'm currently playing Astral Chain it currently my GOTY because the combat and music is sooooooo good.

Last edited:

Micolash

Neo Member
Are you one of those people mad it’s not cross platform?
Either someone lied to you or you have no clue about the game.
Nope, I 100%'ed all those games I mentioned and I am done buying P* games after being disappointed so many times. I own a Switch but just don't have any interest, and will not be purchasing Fall of Babylon either. I understand how some people may find them appealing, they are just not for me.

I'd say more like 10 hours+ actually, pretty big difference.

And I see that people seem to think it's a woke game? It definitely doesn't feel like one if it was supposed to be one.

I'd sorta agree that MGR and Nier were underwhelming, though in the combat systems mostly.
It is 5-8 hours long, it has next to no replayability, no difficulty options, I don't like the metroidvania style, and it has technical issues. It is a game that absolutely deserves to flop.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Nope, I 100%'ed all those games I mentioned and I am done buying P* games after being disappointed so many times. I own a Switch but just don't have any interest, and will not be purchasing Fall of Babylon either. I understand how some people may find them appealing, they are just not for me.

You say that and yet post something like this.
I don't know how people keep buying P* games given their track record, so a bit disappointed that Astral Chain charted.

Thabass

DIdn't think that Control would do super great, but for all the marketing it did, I expected it to chart. That's a shame. I have to expect September it will show some promise.

Aricer

Neo Member

It is 5-8 hours long, it has next to no replayability, no difficulty options, I don't like the metroidvania style, and it has technical issues. It is a game that absolutely deserves to flop.

Well I'm just wondering how you got through it that fast, took me quite alot longer. I'm replaying the game right now actually but maybe others might not want to replay it.

Difficulty options being missing is pretty weird, considering their previous games had them.

If you're talking technical issues on the PS4, that's indeed bad from what I've heard, can't defend that, unless you mean it's having issues on PC. Won't comment on the game's metroidvania style, that depends on the player's taste.

Micolash

Neo Member
You say that and yet post something like this.
I understand why they are selling because they have a loyal fanbase that continues to buy the garbage they pump out. I don't see the appeal of the actual games though. Not sure what is hard to understand about this or why you insist on arguing, but in any case , you are ignored.

Micolash

Neo Member
Well I'm just wondering how you got through it that fast, took me quite alot longer. I'm replaying the game right now actually but maybe others might not want to replay it.

Difficulty options being missing is pretty weird, considering their previous games had them.

If you're talking technical issues on the PS4, that's indeed bad from what I've heard, can't defend that, unless you mean it's having issues on PC. Won't comment on the game's metroidvania style, that depends on the player's taste.
Yeah, it's just unacceptable for a full price AAA release. The technical issues are across all platforms.

joe_zazen

DIdn't think that Control would do super great, but for all the marketing it did, I expected it to chart. That's a shame. I have to expect September it will show some promise.

Maybe, but uk charts showed a big -76% in second week. Single player flops don't usually have legs unless there is huge word of mouth.

Top Bottom