• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD August 2022: 5% Decline in SW, Double Digit growth in HW Rev. PS5 #1 in Unit and Revenue and Spider-man back at #3

jm89

Once we get the q2 numbers it'll be more clear if that forecast is realistic. Even with the current improvement in stock it doesn't seem enough.

Japan numbers are abysmal with the occasional bump, and outside of USA and UK stock situation isn't that great.

I'm not but I've seen people argue that gamepass combined with Microsofts big acquisitions would gain them a lot of market share. Not to mention they have the cheapest current gen console.

Even when the 360 had gained a huge marketshare and the WII absolutely dominated that generation the ps3 with all its failures still sold almost 90m consoles.

People are in here with a straight face saying the ps5 is gonna sell 30m less consoles compared to the ps3, like where is the math coming from to get there?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Even when the 360 had gained a huge marketshare and the WII absolutely dominated that generation the ps3 with all its failures still sold almost 90m consoles.

People are in here with a straight face saying the ps5 is gonna sell 30m less consoles compared to the ps3, like where is the math coming from to get there?
It's console war trolling. Nothing more.

I'm not but I've seen people argue that gamepass combined with Microsofts big acquisitions would gain them a lot of market share. Not to mention they have the cheapest current gen console.

I think you can make that case for next gen, not this one. When Microsoft could potentially have exclusive cod and elder scrolls games. Thats gonna hurt sony for sure.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
I think you can make that case for next gen, not this one. When Microsoft could potentially have exclusive cod and elder scrolls games. Thats gonna hurt sony for sure.

Things change though, if AB goes through and MS can make COD exclusive then Sony will have to go out there and protect their market by way of buying big. Talking take two big.

yazenov

He must be one of those "this time will be different" bros who was deluded into thinking the only reason why the PS4 was a success was due to the failure of the competition.

Sony didn't sell consoles because its products were good. Hell no, it was because MS shot themselves in the foot, and the Wii U was a flop.

But this time will be different because of tougher competition and MS has Gamepass, the "best value in gaming". (even though it has Gamepass last gen aslo, selective memories). So Sony will automatically sell half the amount of PS4 because of "tougher competitors" somehow. I think this is their deluded narrative.

Lognor

Banned
Goodluck finding stand alone PS5! I Got my second one with HZD2 bundle thru PS Direct.
They're readily available. Sign up on Amazon and you'll get a standalone console in a day or two. I've signed up twice. Us is not a problem to find anymore

Lognor

Banned
Obviously I didn't mean literally it got a price increase . Most consoles being sold are horizon bundles.
Do we have a split? I don't think that's right. Probably most sold are standalone followed by bundle followed by disc less

tmlDan

They're readily available. Sign up on Amazon and you'll get a standalone console in a day or two. I've signed up twice. Us is not a problem to find anymore
Where? cause its super hard to get it standalone here in Canada. Basically impossible without it bundled with at least another controller or charging pad

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Where? cause its super hard to get it standalone here in Canada. Basically impossible without it bundled with at least another controller or charging pad
Amazon I can attest to personally. You can ask for an invite and within a day it'll be available to order. There have been countless reports of ps5s on shelves at best best, Walmart, target. Etc. It might still be hit or miss if you walk into a store, but far from impossible.

I actually just asked for another invite on Amazon and I'll let you know when I'm able to order again (probably in a day or two).

jm89

Do we have a split? I don't think that's right. Probably most sold are standalone followed by bundle followed by disc less
No split. But if you check any stock alert accounts for ps5 or even r/PS5restock you'll see the most people are buying the horizon bundle as that is what sony is primarily stocking. Althoughs standalones are coming more and more available now.

tmlDan

Amazon I can attest to personally. You can ask for an invite and within a day it'll be available to order. There have been countless reports of ps5s on shelves at best best, Walmart, target. Etc. It might still be hit or miss if you walk into a store, but far from impossible.

I actually just asked for another invite on Amazon and I'll let you know when I'm able to order again (probably in a day or two).
I meant what country, im assuming the US?

Lognor

Banned
No split. But if you check any stock alert accounts for ps5 or even r/PS5restock you'll see the most people are buying the horizon bundle as that is what sony is primarily stocking. Althoughs standalones are coming more and more available now.
I wonder if the same is true for b&m. I've seen a lot of reports of standalone ps5s being sold.

Regardless, doesn't really matter. Point is that ps5 didn't get a price increase in the US. The average price has increased due to the bundle but I imagine you can sell the game, whether it's digital or physical and recoup most of that increase. Nothing like other parts of the world.

John Wick

I don't get it. Just because Microsoft are behind sony and Nintendo, it means they should be allowed to buy some of the biggest game ips in the world? Its OK for them to just buy cod, doom, fallout, elder scrolls and so many more. Would it be OK if they own GTA too? I mean they are last, so it's OK and should be approved right?

Essentially what your saying is, because Microsoft ain't competing toe to toe with sony and Nintendo, they should be allowed to buy ip that will increase their marketshare. Sure, its even worse if sony did that because of their strong position but doesn't make it OK for Microsoft just because they are behind sony and Nintendo does it?
It's OK because MS have the money. The war chest so they should be allowed to buy whoever they please but Google, Apple etc shouldn't because of reasons........

John Wick

2022 is their best chance to create a lead over Xbox. It's going to be incredibly tough for Sony to create the lead that some Sony fans on here fantasize about with the lineup Xbox has for 2023 onwards.

Of course PS5 will continue to sell well, but Sony can't do anything to stop people from buying Xboxes as their primary or secondary consoles.
Once Sony can make enough PS5 they will be gone. It's just been fortunate for MS that the PS5 has been supply constrained otherwise they would have long gone well ahead.

Things change though, if AB goes through and MS can make COD exclusive then Sony will have to go out there and protect their market by way of buying big. Talking take two big.

Exactly, this only works if we consider sony literally does nothing to stay competitive and we all know thats not gonna happen. Sony cares far more about their gaming marketshare than Microsoft does

johnjohn

No question, MS is already gaining market share and will continue to do so as the gen goes on. They have too good of an offering with Game Pass and Series S/X and have to good of a lineup for it to not be the case. Just look at these sales numbers, Skyrim is still charting 10 years after release. Starfield alone next year is going to help Xbox gain market share.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Sony didn't sell consoles because its products were good. Hell no, it was because MS shot themselves in the foot, and the Wii U was a flop.
When you think about it - the logic is flawless:
PS2 sold 150M to GC + XB + DC doing a combined 50M.
PS1 sold 100M to N64 30 (35 with Saturn and 3DO? - I dunno honestly)
PS4 sold 120M to XB1+WiiU 60

On the other hand:
PSP sold 80M to NDS 150M
PS3 sold 80M to WII+360 180M
See the pattern? It's quite clear Sony only does well when competition fumbles... ;)

Last edited:
No question, MS is already gaining market share and will continue to do so as the gen goes on. They have too good of an offering with Game Pass and Series S/X and have to good of a lineup for it to not be the case. Just look at these sales numbers, Skyrim is still charting 10 years after release. Starfield alone next year is going to help Xbox gain market share.

Nah Sony will be fine. I'm pretty sure they will do extremely well especially with the quality titles they will offer throughout the gen. Gamepass won't hurt them like you think it will.

Woopah

At this point is the consensus that Nintendo will lead in sales in 2022? They probably have a Pokemon game coming which will help and they always do well at Christmas time.
It'll be close, and a lot will depend on whether PS5 has enough holiday supply. I think Switch just about edges it.

For next year, it depends on whether the next Switch model is a successor or a revision.

johnjohn

Nah Sony will be fine. I'm pretty sure they will do extremely well especially with the quality titles they will offer throughout the gen. Gamepass won't hurt them like you think it will.
Of course Sony will be fine, but Xbox will make things far more competitive than they have been and gain more market share this gen. Xbox gaining market share doesn't mean Sony is going out of business lol, I'm not sure why some people on here are so afraid of it.

Last edited:
I mean...even with exclusives it would still have God of War Ragnarok.

The interesting thing? Next fall Sony is about to have a single PS5 sku, selling for 400 dollars (if the news yesterday are real) and Spider-Man 2 if everything goes well. Imagine that happening.
Oh? I don’t think I heard about a single PS5 SKU for $400? Do you mean the one where you can add an external disc drive to a PS5 digital?

RyanEvans21

Only invitation but no chance you'll get one! i signed up like 2 months ago but didnt received any emaill from amazon. Same as PSDirect before.

Lognor

Banned
It'll be close, and a lot will depend on whether PS5 has enough holiday supply. I think Switch just about edges it.

For next year, it depends on whether the next Switch model is a successor or a revision.

Is it confirmed that a new model is coming next year? Or is that just speculation? I would think if it's the successor Nintendo would run into the same issue as Sony and Microsoft have faced the last two years. So either way, ps5 should lead next year.
Only invitation but no chance you'll get one! i signed up like 2 months ago but didnt received any emaill from amazon. Same as PSDirect before.
That's weird. I signed up before and a day later got the email to purchase. I didn't buy one then, but I did just sign up for an invite again. We'll see how long it takes this time. Maybe because I'm a prime member?

jhjfss

Ps3 sold 87M, so that would mean 57M for the ps5. Who is saying ps5 will only sell 57M units?

Woopah

Is it confirmed that a new model is coming next year? Or is that just speculation? I would think if it's the successor Nintendo would run into the same issue as Sony and Microsoft have faced the last two years. So either way, ps5 should lead next year.

That's weird. I signed up before and a day later got the email to purchase. I didn't buy one then, but I did just sign up for an invite again. We'll see how long it takes this time. Maybe because I'm a prime member?
No confirmation, but we know for a fact that Nvidia is working on a new SOC and a recent comment from an Nvidia shows that it's close to being production. So next year seems likely.

Now how Nintendo markets this device isn't known, but my guess it that it will live alongside the other models for some time. That would minimise the impact of shortages.

I thought PC was Steam? Unless MS bought Steam?

It's all built in MS ecosystem.

MS intends to strengthen their ecosystem rather than selling most consoles. They take a more holistic view of the industry and have helped it grow.

Even acquisitions are healthy as they provide incentive to smaller studios to grow and make a name for themselves.

So their success cannot be measured in console unit sales, something many accuse them of forever trailing Sony / Nintendo and not having good enough sales.

Of course Sony will be fine, but Xbox will make things far more competitive than they have been and gain more market share this gen. Xbox gaining market share doesn't mean Sony is going out of business lol, I'm not sure why some people on here are so afraid of it.

I think it's because if one does better doesnt mean the other has to do worse. Its possible that Sony can improve their current situation and still have the competition grow at the same time. I mean Sony has been making a lot of moves lately and they have some high quality studios under their belt. Don't see why it's impossible for them to do better.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It's all built in MS ecosystem.

MS intends to strengthen their ecosystem rather than selling most consoles. They take a more holistic view of the industry and have helped it grow.

Even acquisitions are healthy as they provide incentive to smaller studios to grow and make a name for themselves.

So their success cannot be measured in console unit sales, something many accuse them of forever trailing Sony / Nintendo and not having good enough sales.
Nah, MS has nothing to do with Steam or Epic or GOG. They only have a Microsoft Xbox Store that nobody uses.

And they pay the same 30% cut to Steam as all other developers and publishers do. It's really disingenuous to put Steam's and Epic's success into Microsoft's lap because they literally have nothing to do with each other.

Nah, MS has nothing to do with Steam or Epic or GOG. They only have a Microsoft Xbox Store that nobody uses.

And they pay the same 30% cut to Steam as all other developers and publishers do. It's really disingenuous to put Steam's and Epic's success into Microsoft's lap because they literally have nothing to do with each other.

That's not what I meant.

I mean their metric of success is different and hard to measure.

Top Bottom