• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Canada - July 2008 Chart

Dalthien

July 2008:

WII - 376,000 YTD - 1,060,000 LTD
360 - 154,000 YTD - 870,000 LTD
PS3 - 200,000 YTD - 520,000 LTD

Unfortunately, there seem to be some discrepancies between the July numbers and the June numbers. Nothing extreme, but a bit more than should be accounted for due to rounding errors. Link

1 - WII - Mario Kart Wii w/ Wheel
2 - WII - Wii Fit w/ Balance Board
3 - DS - Guitar Hero: On Tour w/ Guitar Grip
4 - WII - Wii Play w/ Remote
5 - DS - Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day
6 - DS - New Super Mario Bros.
7 - WII - Rock Band Special Edition Bundle
8 - 360 - Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution
9 - PS3 - Rock Band Special Edition Bundle
10 - WII - Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock w/ Guitar

WII - 5
DS - 3
360 - 1
PS3 - 1

I'm just guessing on #10, but from the article it has to be a Wii game, and it has to come with a peripheral, so I can't imagine what it could possibly be except GH3. Link

NCAA not showing up in the Top 10 isn't a surprise, but Soul Calibur completely missing the Top 10 is a bit of a surprise. And Metal Gear Solid 4 debuted at only #3 last month, and didn't even make the Top 10 this month - so it had rather mediocre sales in Canada for such a high-profile title.

And here is the June data as well:

June 2008:

1 (2) WII - Mario Kart Wii w/ Wheel
2 (4) WII - Wii Fit w/ Balance Board
3 (-) PS3 - Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
4 (-) DS - Guitar Hero: On Tour w/ Guitar Grip
5 (5) WII - Wii Play w/ Remote

WII - 7
DS - 4
360 - 4
PS3 - 3
PS2 - 2

DS - 68,000
WII - 64,500 (YTD - 318,000, LTD - 986,200)
PS3 - 39,000 (YTD - 170,500, LTD - 487,600)
PSP - < 39k
360 - < PSP (YTD - 129,000, LTD - 840,700)

Link

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I was talking with a few friends about this generation and I came to this conclusion. The DS and the Wii are the consoles that are made to work with Nintendo games. Everything that came before was just made to play Nintendo games. The change in strategy has been virtually flawless. The Wii's strategy is Nintendo' strategy. It's not everyone else's. Hence the reluctance and then subsequent stinkers that generally hit the system when it comes to third party.

Strange stuff indeed. All my friends who own Rock Band own it for PS3, and I don't know a single person other than myself who owns MGS4. And, what the hell is NSMB still doing there?!?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Rapping Granny said:
Canadians know their hockey and know that NHL 09 is the way to go.

Yes, but its still going to be the only hockey game available on the overwhelmingy top selling console.

Dalthien

Incidentally, the Wii should have crossed the million mark in July, but I haven't seen any official announcements yet.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Dalthien said:
Incidentally, the Wii should have crossed the million mark in July, but I haven't seen any official announcements yet.

There is no need to rub this in, we already know the deal. :lol

Memles

There's an off chance that #10 could be Ubi Soft's weight loss challenge DS game - the thing was EVERYWHERE last month, to the point of my utter confusion at why they shipped the game so heavily.

Haunted

MGS4 debuted at #3 and vanished the next month? wow.

schuelma said:
Yes, but its still going to be the only hockey game available on the overwhelmingy top selling console.
Calling it now: 360 > PS3 > Wii version.

Memles said:
There's an off chance that #10 could be Ubi Soft's weight loss challenge DS game - the thing was EVERYWHERE last month, to the point of my utter confusion at why they shipped the game so heavily.
Heavily advertised as a montreal developed game.

Tiktaalik

This is nothing new. Nintendo has always been really, really strong in Canada. It's because they actually made their own separate subsidiary for this country and they actually pay attention to it.

Firestorm

Kusagari said:
Can someone explain why Rock band PS3 is on this?
People who bought MGS4 the month before? Although I had two friends buy the PS3 version of Rockband in like January (used the instruments for PS2 version) and bought a PS3 last month...
Rapping Granny said:
Canadians know their hockey and know that NHL 09 is the way to go.
But a TON of them won't be able to play it!

NolbertoS

I find it weird that I can still find Mario Kart Wii in any of my EBGames, while in the US, they're pretty much sold out everywhere and have to turn to ebay for it.

Slavik81

Memles said:
There's a ridiculously expensive advertising campaign chasing it.

bryehn said:
$99 at Blockbuster for a bit I think.
Isn't that Rock Band PS2?
If that's Rock Band PS3, I'm going to feel like an utter retard for buying it a month earlier at nearly double that price.

NolbertoS

Memles said:

I'm sick of hearing that Chatelaine cmmercial advertising it and how you can win a trip to France, Arizona and Jamaica on the radio with the fake phoney french accent. Damn..Ubisoft went all out to make this Weight loss game popular.

Agent Icebeezy said:
I was talking with a few friends about this generation and I came to this conclusion. The DS and the Wii are the consoles that are made to work with Nintendo games. Everything that came before was just made to play Nintendo games. The change in strategy has been virtually flawless. The Wii's strategy is Nintendo' strategy. It's not everyone else's. Hence the reluctance and then subsequent stinkers that generally hit the system when it comes to third party.
Third parties are still technically competition, and they are being made irrelevant on how the Wii will do along with Sony and MS.

lupinko

bryehn said:
$99 at Blockbuster for a bit I think.

No, that was the PS2 version, it's in our deals thread.

Rock Band PS3 SE though did have various $10-20 off though during certain sales.

Dalthien

Nice job schuelma!

Firestorm said:
The article also confirms that #10 was for the Wii.
That basically confirms that Guitar Hero III Wii is #10 for the month.

Unfortunately, there seem to be some discrepancies between the July numbers and the June numbers. Nothing extreme, but a bit more than should be accounted for due to rounding errors.

SRG01

I just can't believe that the 360 is underselling the PSP. They were still moving pretty fast a while back up here. What's going on?

big_z

i got a flyer the other day with an advertisement for hdtvs... buy a tv that costs $1500 or more and get a free ps3 bluray player. i was like :lol

seems like if i hear anyone talking about the ps3 it has to do with movies.

SRG01 said:
I just can't believe that the 360 is underselling the PSP. They were still moving pretty fast a while back up here. What's going on?

it doesnt matter once the package deals start popping up at bestbuy and futureshop this holiday season the thing will sell tons like it does every year.

Firestorm

big_z said:
it doesnt matter once the package deals start popping up at bestbuy and futureshop this holiday season the thing will sell tons like it does every year.
I haven't seen the 360 not bundled at Future Shop and Best Buy in a very long time. Hell, the week that it hit $299.99, Future Shop was giving out free Gears of War and Unreal Tournament III with it.

Dalthien

SRG01 said:
Probably just selective memory on your part. Or maybe your opinion is tainted because you hang out with other 360 users. But in reality, the 360 has been a weak performer in Canada all along.

The last full batch of hardware numbers that we had was through Nov/07, and even at that time, the 360 in Canada was weak. Comparing sales to the US through the same time frame:

WII - 9.3 %
PS3 - 8.6 %
360 - 7.6 %

DS - 7.5 %
PSP - 5.9 %

So even nearly a year ago, the 360 was the weakest home console in Canada relative to US sales. And the PSP was way behind eveything.

And using the July/08 numbers we just got:

WII - 9.3 %
PS3 - 10.2 %
360 - 8.1 %

So the 360 is still the weakest of the 3 systems relative to the US.

Firestorm said:
I haven't seen the 360 not bundled at Future Shop and Best Buy in a very long time. Hell, the week that it hit $299.99, Future Shop was giving out free Gears of War and Unreal Tournament III with it.
Same here. I'm always a bit surprised at just how much bundling is done with the 360 here in southern Ontario.

Top Bottom