• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2012 Sales Results [Up2: Xbox 360, All Nintendo Hardware, NSMB Wii U]

Mileena

Banned
Ugh. Man, that top ten list is really just a sad representation of what we Americans demand. For how many years, now, has Call of Duty topped our charts? No wonder developers are taking a streamlined approach; These sales are indicative of our wants.

Better it be CoD than Just Dance.

TheOddOne

Another month of retail video game decline in the US
It was bad news as usual for the retail video game industry in the United States last month.

Analysts at the NPD Group say that retail sales across the video game industry were down 22% in December, from $4.1 billion in 2011 to $3.21 billion this time around.

As usual, software caused the biggest hit (dollar sales were down 27%), which analyst Liam Callahan attributes to fewer releases.

"A major culprit in the decline in retail sales in 2012 was the lack of new releases with 29% less SKUs across consoles, portables, and PCs," he said in a statement.

"However, the SKUs that were released generated 8% more units per SKU and 11% more dollars per SKU."

The top-selling debut title of the month was Ubisoft's Far Cry 3, though it was Activison's November release of Call of Duty: Black Ops II that topped the overall charts.

By the Numbers
Video game hardware: $1.07B (-20%)
Video game software (console, handheld): $1.54B (-26%)
Video game software (console, handheld, and PC): $1.58B (-27%)
Video game accessories: $603M (-14%)
Total video game sales: $3.21B (-22%)

So is the Vita version.

I find it almost impossible to believe that the Wii U version of multiplatform games are getting outsold by the Vita. That just seems completely nuts.

edit: ah okay so its not in order? even though it seems like it is? weird but makes sense.

Guaranteed Vita outsold the Wii U version.

There's a peak of 1000 Vita users as opposed to a peak of 200 Wii U users when I went online to check it out in each game.

Nothing compared to the 300 thousand PS3 users....

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Gamasutra ‏@gamasutra

NPD says that fewer Wii Us were sold last month than the original Wii sold in its first December in 2006.

VICI0US

NSMB2 charted? Wat
Also, Jesus Christ, Xbox. That's absolute domination.

oh wow

pretty surprising giving the amount of huge franchise multiplatform releases out there.

the top 10 combined platform list is so boring anymore. would much rather see single SKU/top 10 per platform type information.

UberTag

So let me get this straight.

The 360 is in its 7th year. Down 22% in sales from last December.

And more than doubled the Wii U and/or PS3.

Fudge cakes. That's amazing shit.
8th year actually. First Christmas was 2005. This is December #8.

liger05

Hoping the 3DS had a real good december as Nov tanked. Will be interesting to see the DS/3DS split in december.

Wii U needs a minimum 600k

This is quite a story. Would love a book on "How Xbox took America". I mean they weren't even in the business a dozen years or so ago. This was Sony land last gen. Crazy stuff.

MS must feel they are in a good position to carry over this momentum to the nextbox. xbox live players are not going anywhere else in 2014!

Ugh. Man, that top ten list is really just a sad representation of what we Americans demand. For how many years, now, has Call of Duty topped our charts? No wonder developers are taking a streamlined approach; These sales are indicative of our wants.

Every region is the same. Are you saying the sequels Japan or Europeans buy are any more or less sad than the sequels Americans buy? Madden, Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Animal Crossing, Black OPS. What's the difference?

nickcv

Wii sold 600k in 2006

That means ps3 sold bout 700k?

who knows, we just know that microsoft sold more then twice the amount of the second best selling console, but i think it's pretty much a given that the PS3 sold more units then the Wii U, otherwise Sony is in real trouble

Far...Cry?

tobey+maguire+trollface+troll.jpg

Damn, so the Vita is doing a better job on multiplats than the Wii U? *shakes head*
They are in shock. Price cut and ambassador programme must now be on the cards along with a tidal wave of negative press and pressure o the top brass at HQ.
Hopefully this happens sooner rather than later. I want a deluxe for $250 by the time Smash U or Mario Kart U comes out.

~ZIO~

Neo Member
Better it be CoD than Just Dance.

I wouldn't even say that, really. At their core, both of those games are fun to play. That's not difficult to see if one spends enough time with them. Thing is, how many iterations have these series gone through? We consumers are not really asking for anything new, and these lists are indicative of that. This, in turn, encourages developers to continue to churn out the same stuff.

Yes, as a business attempting to make money, why not do this? But I feel this hurts the industry too.

Every region is the same. Are you saying the sequels Japan or Europeans buy are any more or less sad than the sequels Americans buy? Madden, Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Animal Crossing, Black OPS. What's the difference?

Well, I suppose specifically stating Americans does imply I am stating other regions have better taste, hm? I didn't mean for that, though. Each region is guilty of it, and like I said, i feel it will hurt this industry.

MrDaravon

So how bad is it for the Wii U if it sold less than the Wii's first December when the Wii was fucking impossible to find, and the Wii U was widely available? Serious question. Also fair to consider that the Wii U costs more than the Wii did, but factoring in inflation I'm not sure how much more or if that really matters.

Regardless of anything else at all, they really just needed to put out one version of the Wii U that came with Nintendoland, splitting the SKUs with only a $50 difference is ridiculous.

Troll

Banned
who knows, we just know that microsoft sold more then twice the amount of the second best selling console, but i think it's pretty much a given that the PS3 sold more units then the Wii U, otherwise Sony is in real trouble

Maybe OG Wii was at about 700k

Top Bottom