• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2019 Results

Ingeniero

Thanks for all this info, great thread.
Also, Call of Duty dominating the whole decade..... I have mixed feelings about this but it is what it is.

redfirm

Banned
Death Stranding flops very badly. Outsold by an exercise game lol.
it didnt flop, please stop this pissing contest. I dont know if you have noticed but your " exercise " game is getting really high reviews and doing great. you are comparing a game which is targeted to the mass casual market with a game which has been has a weird concept. Death stranding did ok, in my opinion its a shitty game, but it honestly did not flop. I think we should give credit to all these games and be happy how there is a place in the market for all of them, instead of shitposting about how one game sucks.

ethomaz

Banned
Ohhhh just now I realized the Mat create a own cartoon representation for his videos lol

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
Thanks for all this info, great thread.
Also, Call of Duty dominating the whole decade..... I have mixed feelings about this but it is what it is.

I'm sure if you look between 2000-2009 I can't say it's much better.

2000-2009, you see peripheral laden trend games, sports, fps and GTA aka the "Mass market games"

I wouldn't worry if I were you lol

The only difference
  1. Guitar Hero III Legends Of Rock
  2. Wii Fit
  3. Rock Band
  4. Wii Play W/ Remote
  5. Guitar Hero World Tour
  6. Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
  7. Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
  8. Mario Kart Wii
  9. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
  10. Call Of Duty: World At War
  11. Guitar Hero 2
  12. Rock Band 2
  13. Madden NFL 07
  14. Halo 3
  15. Madden NFL 08
  16. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
  17. Madden NFL 09
  18. Halo 2
  19. Grand Theft Auto IV
  20. Madden NFL 06

Last edited:

Karak

I can't stop laughing. I am probably just tired. but the "Call of Duty Accounts for 10 of the top 15 best selling games of the last 10 years."
I can't make any sense of that for some reason.

ethomaz

Banned
I can't stop laughing. I am probably just tired. but the "Call of Duty Accounts for 10 of the top 15 best selling games of the last 10 years."
It is the biggest seller anual franchise in the videogame industry.
It is only smaller than GTA but GTA takes years to come.

Blond

Banned

It's basically replaced madden.

jakinov

Star Wars Jedi already no.6 biggestselling for the year, even though its only been out 2 months. Hope EA understand you dont need to cram games full of MTX and lootboxes to make money, and that single player games still sell.
Making it on this chart doesn't mean they made money (profited) or enough money (profit) for the investment to be worth it. It just means they sold more copies than most other games in the US this month.

it didnt flop, please stop this pissing contest. I dont know if you have noticed but your " exercise " game is getting really high reviews and doing great. you are comparing a game which is targeted to the mass casual market with a game which has been has a weird concept. Death stranding did ok, in my opinion its a shitty game, but it honestly did not flop. I think we should give credit to all these games and be happy how there is a place in the market for all of them, instead of shitposting about how one game sucks.
Please take a look at the marketing budget that it had vs RingFit Adventure. Do you seriously believe with that level of marketing and development budget, Sony only wanted to sell 3m-4m copies for holidays blockbuster title?

This smell like Drive Club and the order 1886 commercially speaking.

Outsold by RFA in the US, Japan, France, Germany, Taiwan, South Korea, and a few other countries.

Stuart360

Making it on this chart doesn't mean they made money (profited) or enough money (profit) for the investment to be worth it. It just means they sold more copies than most other games in the US this month.
I'm not on about this month. Its the 6th biggest selling game of the YEAR, as in the whole of 2019.

redfirm

Banned
Please take a look at the marketing budget that it had vs RingFit Adventure. Do you seriously believe with that level of marketing and development budget, Sony only wanted to sell 3m-4m copies for holidays blockbuster title?

This smell like Drive Club and the order 1886 commercially speaking.

Outsold by RFA in the US, Japan, France, Germany, Taiwan, South Korea, and a few other countries.
I honestly expect ring fit to gain more momentum, the game went viral a while ago.

cabbage5k2

Most surprising to me, beyond the massive success of Fallen Order, is that Luigi's Mansion 3 outsold Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield (individually of course).

Ring Fit's a phenomenon, so no shame there. But Death Stranding was in the PSN Holiday sale for like $20 off the month after it came out. It can't have met expectations.

Most surprising to me, beyond the massive success of Fallen Order, is that Luigi's Mansion 3 outsold Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield (individually of course).
Pokemon had a lot of negative word of mouth going around, that probably depressed sales a bit.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Happy for Stig Asmussens continued success, especially since his last project got canned. He is a very talented director. Keep pushing out them bangers.

cabbage5k2

Pokemon had a lot of negative word of mouth going around, that probably depressed sales a bit.

I'm just surprised that the holiday season seemingly didn't increase sales so much that the negative word of mouth's presence couldn't be felt. Makes me wonder how many older blood still plays these games nowadays over newer (read younger) players... could actually be a problem for the Pokemon Company in the longer run if fewer kids/teens play these games unless they change their entire paradigm to match their aging fanbase.

jakinov

I'm not on about this month. Its the 6th biggest selling game of the YEAR, as in the whole of 2019.
Either way, that doesn't support really support what you are saying without actual numbers on budget, marketing, royalties, and revenue. We don't know muhc of a profit it made and if they would have been better off making a MP game with microtransactions that would have ultimately brought in more money.

redfirm

Banned
Ring Fit's a phenomenon, so no shame there. But Death Stranding was in the PSN Holiday sale for like $20 off the month after it came out. It can't have met expectations.

same thing happened to Horizon, but if you guys got more info, i believe you, not defending it to be honest.

Humdinger

Thanks for posting all this info, ethomaz. It's difficult to digest it all, but my overall impression is that everyone else likes things I don't.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
MLB The Show! Well deserved.

Now you know why MLB wants that sweet revenue boost like the NFL/FIFA/NBA and worked out a deal with Sony.

Codes 208

Thats a lot of statsistics, like a lot. Like it takes half of the browser’s page just to scroll through. I wouldve been content with just the top 10 and 2019’s top 20.

OT: CoD dominating the generation leaves me a bit mixed. On one hand it proves my point that it really is the mcdonalds of the gaming world (cheap, shitty food but theyre everywhere and its just convenient) but on the other i actually enjoyed a few of them this gen (WW2, Blops4 and MW specifically.)
As for death stranding not even making top 20, i kinda expected that. I absolutely hated what little bit i played but i get why people like it and to me i figured it was going to have a more niche audience, especially when compared to GoW or horizon. Hopefully kojima’s next game will play something a bit more like his previous work (preferably not mgs4, last thing we need now is another The Game: the movie)

same thing happened to Horizon, but if you guys got more info, i believe you, not defending it to be honest.
This thread shows it fell out of the top 20 everywhere in December, and sales were apparently dropping precipitously as early as day 2:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/uk-d...9-sells-36-less-than-days-gone.1510366/page-4

No idea what they were hoping for from it, whether it was just a prestige title or something they really hoped would be big. But it didn't make the top 20 for the year on PS4 either, I'm sure they were hoping for a bit more than that. Can't see why they would have launched it in November otherwise.

That game is such a feel good story. This is a legit series now and I'm also relieved for NLG after the black hole that was Federation Force.
LM3 is the best graphical showcase of Nintendo game.

Federation Force, on the other hand, was clearly Nintendo biggest catastrophe when reading the market demand for Metroid series. Nintendo should be the one to take the blames and not NLG.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.

OK, maybe it's too soon to tell. Maybe it will continue selling for many months, or it also might not.

Death Stranding is a very high budget game.

It's AAA level, so it has to sell a little more to be successful,

Days Gone was mocked after failing to follow the momentum of HZD, GOW, and Spiderman sales but it's acceptable for Death Stranding 🤔🤔 that's performing worse than Days Gone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom