• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD January 2013 Sales Results [Up7: Wii U 57K (CNET), Vita ~35K, PS3 201K]

Drago

Iwata said at the investors meeting that there won't be a price drop for Wii U, but fuuuck I want a Wii U ambassador's program so much. DO IT NINTENDO

I only paid $200 for my U so a price cut and ambassador program wouldn't even burn me

BRING IT NINTENDO

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Nintendo would have to do a price drop or ride out a 6-7 month storm of 90-100K a month sales worldwide which I doubt they can do.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't believe 55k, but that is good for Wii u. Considering it has no games, nothing really coming for 6 months, a poor price, crap online, no real account system, a poor online store, only comes in two colors, has more expensive multiplats, has dated multiplats, has worse running multiplats, has no good marketing, looks and feels kinda cheap, etc, that's great. I mean considering those few things.

SmokyDave

Anybody celebrating poor Wii U numbers is crazy. It doesn't bode well for the next generation of consoles which will certainly cost more and will have their own post-launch lull of releases to contend with. That's some of the most shortsighted celebrating I think I've ever seen.
Just a hunch, but I reckon MS & Sony will retain a higher proportion of their customers than Nintendo.

Anybody celebrating poor Wii U numbers is crazy. It doesn't bode well for the next generation of consoles which will certainly cost more and will have their own post-launch lull of releases to contend with. That's some of the most shortsighted celebrating I think I've ever seen.

I don't think so as the other systems will be true next gen systems. I think WiiU is a combo of folks bored with current gen tech with people who feel burned by the Wii.

Cipherr

The Wii U might be the next Dreamcast, guys.

Without the kickass library of overlooked classics maybe.

Just a hunch, but I reckon MS & Sony will retain a higher proportion of their customers than Nintendo.

You are being modest. Just by virtue of the core gamer who is more dedicated they will retain a LOT more. Live by the casual die by the casual I suppose. This is crazy to watch.

javac

Someone put up the creamsugar symbol.

mario_reasonably_small.PNG

:p

So what do we blame: Unattractive hardware? Poor messaging/market confusion? Competition from the other console makers/tablets?

Releasing a 360/PS3 8 years after the 360/PS3 came out perhaps with nothing more than a gimmick that people weren't interested in at a stupidly high price(due to the gimmick no one appears to want). And no games. Probably the games part.

I've got a question. How long did the other platforms of this generation take to reach a 50k low? I figure some people here must have some crazy detailed archives.

Neither the 360 nor the PS3 has ever been that low. The Wii has, only once, last October. The 360's never had a 5-digit month. The PS3's lowest months were April and May 2007, both 82k.

However, the DS's 7th month, May 2005, was 57k. And then Nintendogs was releases, then Brain Training, and then the Lite, etc, and we all know how that story ends.

So the Wii U may be 'mostly dead'. We'll see.

I still don't think the Wii U price is unreasonable, but it'll be interesting if the next systems have $399 units.

Nintendo really dropped the ball on Wii U. I still have no doubts that it'll be great later on, but these couple of months will be absolutely terrible. There's just a lot of fixable errors Nintendo has that they really need to address.

ZoddGutts

Can't say I'm surprise at those numbers for the WiiU. Nobody wants a WiiU especially with next gen consoles coming out this year. Better to save your money.

NBtoaster

I've got a question. How long did the other platforms of this generation take to reach a 50k low? I figure some people here must have some crazy detailed archives.

I don't think either 360 or PS3 have ever gone below 70k. PS3 did the worst mid year 2007, around 80k for a few months.

Hero

Really would like a second source to confirm or deny the numbers seeing as whoever is over at Gamasutra can't do math correctly.

But if 55k is true then holy shit that is extremely bad to the point where they'll have to do something drastic ala price drop and ambassador program. They fucking deserve it, Pikmin 3 and W101 launch window games my ass.

Raist

Banned
If 55k is true.... lolz

January 2007

Wii - 436,000
360 - 294,000
PS3 - 244,000
PS2 - 299,000
NDS - 239,000
PSP - 211,000
GBA - 179,000
GC - 34,000

For people saying this is the low

02/14 Wii Street U
03/05 The Amazing Spider-Man: Ultimate Edition
03/18 LEGO City Undercover
03/19 Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Need for Speed: Most Wanted - A Criterion ...
The Croods: Prehistoric Party!
03/26 The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct
04/16 Injustice: Gods Among Us
05/21 Resident Evil: Revelations
05/24 Sniper Elite V2

Nintendo has fucked up.

I don't believe 55k, but that is good for Wii u. Considering it has no games, nothing really coming for 6 months, a poor price, crap online, no real account system, a poor online store, only comes in two colors, has more expensive multiplats, has dated multiplats, has worse running multiplats, has no good marketing, looks and feels kinda cheap, etc, that's great. I mean considering those few things.

god damn

Not really educated on sales at all, how many consoles do you guys expect PS4 / 720 to ship in their first three months (say they launch just before black Friday).

Although WiiU isn't flying off the shelves isn't 3 million shipped worldwide inside the first 3 months pretty decent for a console with no killer app, esp in this economy ?.

Cheers.

szaromir

Banned
So WiiU is PS3 all over again? Anybody remember the grudge GBA vs PS3 rivalry?
Can't see WiiU steering out into 70M+ worldwide units territory, even if Nintendo pumps $5B into it like Sony did with PS3.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Neither the 360 nor the PS3 has ever been that low. The Wii has, only once, last October. The 360's never had a 5-digit month. The PS3's lowest months were April and May 2007, both 82k.

However, the DS's 7th month, May 2005, was 57k. And then Nintendogs was releases, then Brain Training, and then the Lite, etc, and we all know how that story ends.

So the Wii U may be 'mostly dead'. We'll see.

I do wonder if this does portend poorly for the entire industry. There are a shit ton of flaws with the Wii U, but numbers this bad, off the back of an underwhelming 3DS start and the Vita disaster tells me there might be a very bad trend.

We'll see.

Coolwhip

Banned
But why WOULD they pick up in the coming months? Assuming we have reached a bomba of this magnitude, people clearly don't want the thing. It's arguably overpriced, there's no fucking marketing, casuals still don't seem to know that the thing exists and/or that it's actually a new system and not an add-on, and there's nothing significant coming out for it in the near future.

Some of the recently announced stuff looks rad like X, new Mario shown at E3, etc. But that does nothing to help them now, and on top of that this is the slow time of the year as-is. Pikmin 3, Lego Undercover and 101 should already be out at this point, and we should have a solid date for Bayonetta and god forbid something else to look forward to. Awesome looking titles that are WAY out (as in probably not even this year) aren't going to sell units now. What is?

Well, Lego City for starters. If Nintendo markets that well, lots of kids/parents could notice the Wii U. I'm not denying these numbers would be bad if true, but everyone calling it dead is way way too early.

And people say I troll Nintendo. LOL.

Not really educated on sales at all, how many consoles do you guys expect PS4 / 720 to ship in their first three months (say they launch just before black Friday).

Although WiiU isn't flying off the shelves isn't 3 million shipped worldwide inside the first 3 months pretty decent for a console with no killer app, esp in this economy ?.

Cheers.

Around a million each, US, depending on production.

The economy and consumer spending have picked up, this is not an economy thing.

Top Bottom