• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD January 2013 Sales Results [Up7: Wii U 57K (CNET), Vita ~35K, PS3 201K]

jkanownik

Keep in mind the numbers we know of 57K represent a ~90% decline vs Wii in January 2006 when you adjust for the extra week. If you adjust for 40K returns as jvm speculates, then you end up at an 80% decline. Here's a table of potential returns and what they would indicate for February numbers based on a % vs Wii (comps here):

Returns - Feb Projection
0K - 37K
20K - 50K
40K - 63K
60K - 76K
80K - 89K
100K - 102K

Even at 100K returns you're still at 30% of Wii numbers. It just goes from worst console ever to possibly better than the Gamecube.

Hero

Hmm, I could see that being the case if that is indeed how NPD calculates figures.

Wonder if scalpers were the ones who gobbled up all the Wii U Deluxe bundles in Nov/Dec hoping to resell. I only ever saw the Basic during the holiday period.

Keep in mind the numbers we know of 57K represent a ~90% decline vs Wii in January 2006 when you adjust for the extra week. If you adjust for 40K returns as jvm speculates, then you end up at an 80% decline. Here's a table of potential returns and what they would indicate for February numbers based on a % vs Wii (comps here):

Returns - Feb Projection
0K - 37K
20K - 50K
40K - 63K
60K - 76K
80K - 89K
100K - 102K

Even at 100K returns you're still at 30% of Wii numbers. It just goes from worst console ever to possibly better than the Gamecube.

The Wii U is not living up to the Wii's sales? You don't say.

Maybe January was being pushed down from returns by people who didn't get the system they wanted in December.

There's no maybe. Ask CheapyD. He has relationships with retailers. He has been told by solid connections that the January returns of December speculators were HUGE. Like, REALLY big.

So yeah, the NPD number is net sales. It got pushed way down because a metric fuckton of the people who bought in December were speculators and they returned the system when the bottom fell out of the secondary market, practically overnight.

So. The December sales were overinflated.

Let's just take DEC-FEB and average by three and compare to DEC-FEB for other console launches.

We should be able to do that in a couple of weeks.

PhantomR

Banned
Nintendo relied heavily on casual stuff for the Wii U release. They failed.

I hope they get the message and realize this casual focused direction have lost it's strenght and they need to actually focus on the core market.

The core market abandoned Nintendo as soon as the Playstation came to market. It only worsened with the PS2.

A lot of people get this idea that Nintendo left the core market, when exactly the opposite actually happened. They did the logical thing and stepped into a new frontier. It's kinda funny, because while stepping into that new frontier, Nintendo's core first party games were STILL dope. Amongst the best they've ever made.

But that 100k was artificially high as they were trying to be sold on Ebay, but they weren't selling.

The legit number is 57k for a 5 week period.

No, December's numbers would be artificially high. I don't think many resellers would have perceived unprecedented demand post-Christmas, given its ease of availability.

But that 100k was artificially high as they were trying to be sold on Ebay, but they weren't selling.

No you aren't understanding what is being said, the returns count as negative sales in January but positive from when they were bought earlier.

donny2112

No, since they didn't buy them in January to sell in January. They bought them in November/December, and returned them in January. That makes the November + December # sold to people intending to play it less than it looked like.

Yes.

There's no maybe. Ask CheapyD. He has relationships with retailers. He has been told by solid connections that the January returns of December speculators were HUGE. Like, REALLY big.

Speaking of every system, every year and not just Wii U this year. Trying to explain why February was always a big bump over January, when it never quite seemed to make sense that way with January being more likely to still have carryover from December.

Edit:
I'll make a thread. To me, this is not about Wii U. This is about understanding something about NPD numbers that most seem to not have considered before. It's good information to have, in that case. Please don't make it just about "spin" or whatever for Wii U.

GulAtiCa

If true, then while Wii U hardware sales are still not good, does make software sales attachment rate slightly better if factoring out the resellers.

Effect

Don't think a thread should be made just yet unless a mod does or splits this off with some ground rules. Even if one tried to explain the theory, and it's just that a theory, others will simply disregard it as spin.

Edit: To late. :( Enter more Wii U bashing.

I don't get the Wii U sales thing being spun as a good thing--if most of those were bought and returned by re-sellers, that doesn't really help anything.

It would simply mean that November/December sales were, in a nutshell, overstated, and January's understated. It changes the size of the cliff that Wii U sales fell from, but not the underlying lack of demand.

undrtakr900

Ok try again...

wiiu-dies-in-the-swamxdu1e.gif
What movie is this from?

Here's some more January 2013 NPD info:

Best-selling titles for the Wii U at retail, November 2012 NPD:

1. New Super Mario Bros. U
2. ZombiU
3. Scribblenauts Unlimited
4. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
5. Just Dance 4
6. Nintendo Land
7. Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
8. Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition
9. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
10. Skylanders Giants Wii U
11. Assassin's Creed 3
12. SiNG PARTY
13. Madden NFL 2013
14. ESPN Sports Connection
15. Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

Best-selling titles for the Wii U at retail, December 2012 NPD:

1. New Super Mario Bros. U
2. Just Dance 4
3. Scribblenauts Unlimited
4. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
5. ZombiU (>100K)
6. Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
7. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
8. Skylanders Giants Wii U
9. Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition
10. Nintendo Land
11. Assassin's Creed 3
12. SiNG PARTY
13. Madden NFL 2013
14. ESPN Sports Connection
15. Wipeout 3
16. Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth
17. Rabbids Land
18. NBA 2K13
19. FIFA 13

Best-selling titles for the Wii U at retail, January 2013 NPD:

1. New Super Mario Bros. U (LTD sales are >100k)
2. Scribblenauts Unlimited (LTD sales are >100k)
3. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (LTD sales are >100k)
4. ZombiU (LTD sales are >100k)
5. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
6. Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition
7. Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
8. Just Dance 4 (LTD sales are >100k)
9. Assassin's Creed III
10. Skylanders Giants Wii U
11. Madden NFL 2013
12. ESPN Sports Connection
13. Wipeout 3
14. Nintendo Land (LTD sales are >100k)
15. Rabbids Land
16. Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth
17. NBA 2K13
18. Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
19. SiNG PARTY
20. FIFA 13

Top 10 Best-selling titles for the 3DS at retail, January 2013 NPD:

1. New Super Mario Bros. 2
2. Paper Mario: Sticker Star
3. Mario Kart 7
4. Super Mario 3D Land
5. Angry Birds Trilogy
6. Scribblenauts Unlimited
7. Disney Epic Mickey: The Power of lllusion
8. Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance]
9. Adventure Time: Hey Ice King Why'd you steal our garbage?!!
10. LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes

Top 10 Best-selling titles for the 3DS at retail, February 2012 - January 2013 NPD:

2. Mario Kart 7
3. Super Mario 3D Land
4. Paper Mario: Sticker Star
5. Angry Birds Trilogy
6. Kid Icarus: Uprising
7. Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance]
8. Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
9. Mario Tennis Open
10. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

Top 10 Best-selling titles for the Wii at retail, January 2013 NPD:

1. Just Dance 4
2. Skylanders Giants
3. Zumba Fitness Core
4. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
5. Mario Kart Wii
6. Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
7. Super Mario Galaxy
8. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
9. LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
10. Just Dance Disney Party

Top 10 Best-selling titles for the Wii at retail, February 2012 - January 2013 NPD:

1. Just Dance 4
2. Just Dance 3
3. Mario Party 9
4. Skylanders Giants
5. Super Mario Galaxy
6. LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
7. Zumba Fitness 2
8. uDraw Studio: Instant Artist
9. Wii Sports
10. New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Top 10 Best-selling titles for the DS at retail, January 2013 NPD:

1. Pokémon Black Version 2
2. New Super Mario Bros.
3. Pokémon White Version 2
4. LEGO Battles: Ninjago
5. Mario Kart DS
7. Plants vs Zombies
8. Super Mario 64 DS
9. LEGO Batman: The Videogame
10. Wreck-It Ralph

Top 10 Best-selling titles for the DS at retail, February 2012 - January 2013 NPD:

2. New Super Mario Bros.
5. Mario Kart DS
7. Plants vs Zombies
8. Pokémon Conquest
9. Super Mario 64 DS
10. Monster High Ghoul Spirit

jvm

Gamasutra.
Ok, finally got around to updating the lists we have:

U.S. Top-selling Software on Nintendo Platforms

Thanks guys.

Interesting that Just Dance 4 on Wii U dropped from 2nd in December to 8th in January. Ouch?

Thanks guys.

Interesting that Just Dance 4 on Wii U dropped from 2nd in December to 8th in January. Ouch?

I wonder if that will set a precedent for future Just Dance releases on the Wii U---maybe they're just not as popular on the platform?

It's interesting how Nintendo's "take a popular IP and release it on the Wii U = successful console" doesn't seem to be working here. It's missing that spark.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'm shocked at how low AC3 is on that list of WiiU software. Like, below Arkham City? That's... weird. That said, I'm glad ZombiU and Scribbenauts are up there... though what that really means in terms of sales isn't totally clear right now.

Erm. It's an all time great. Fantastic film.

The Neverending Story is an 80's classic, you!

You people are insane!

you're not a good movie.

Well shit, ya got me there.

AzaK

No, as I read it they were likely bought in Nov/Dec so those months will be artificially high but Jan could actually be close to 100K.

hatchx

Banned
Top 10 Best-selling titles for the 3DS at retail, January 2013 NPD:

2. Paper Mario: Sticker Star
3. Mario Kart 7
4. Super Mario 3D Land

5. Angry Birds Trilogy
6. Scribblenauts Unlimited
7. Disney Epic Mickey: The Power of lllusion
8. Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance]
9. Adventure Time: Hey Ice King Why'd you steal our garbage?!!
10. LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes

Well, can't say I blame them for pumping out more Mario games, based on these sales.

Hero

Thanks guys.

I'd rather have those other games up there than JD4.

Anth0ny

Top 10 Best-selling titles for the DS at retail, January 2013 NPD:

2. New Super Mario Bros.
5. Mario Kart DS
7. Plants vs Zombies
8. Super Mario 64 DS
9. LEGO Batman: The Videogame
10. Wreck-It Ralph

blows my mind every time

remake it again please

Busaiku

Oh, look at the 3DS software charts, I see that Code of Princess was at 5th back in October.
I remember creamsugar saying it was like 25k or so, so that gives a little insight as to what the other stuff might look like.

Top Bottom