• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD January 2013 Sales Results [Up7: Wii U 57K (CNET), Vita ~35K, PS3 201K]

Derrick01

Banned
So what do we blame: Unattractive hardware? Poor messaging/market confusion? Competition from the other console makers/tablets?

This is what you blame

I don't believe 55k, but that is good for Wii u. Considering it has no games, nothing really coming for 6 months, a poor price, crap online, no real account system, a poor online store, only comes in two colors, has more expensive multiplats, has dated multiplats, has worse running multiplats, has no good marketing, looks and feels kinda cheap, etc, that's great. I mean considering those few things.

mrs. chandler parsons said:
What are you trying to say? That Nintendo is going to bail on the Wii U and stick with the successful 3DS?

maybe they should

but I see people, typically with nintendo avatars, say "bububub vita" when wii u's crappy sales are mentioned as if besting vita sales is something even worth mentioning

Cheebo

Banned
Well, Lego City for starters. If Nintendo markets that well, lots of kids/parents could notice the Wii U. I'm not denying these numbers would be bad if true, but everyone calling it dead is way way too early.

It's doing worse than even GameCube, it is by far without question the biggest launch disaster Nintendo has had since Virtual Boy if the 55k number is true.

Jeff-DSA

Just a hunch, but I reckon MS & Sony will retain a higher proportion of their customers than Nintendo.

Higher, yes, but money is an issue right now for a lot of people. Also, add in the fact that people are upgrading their smartphones/tablets every year or two years these days, and that money that was being budgeted for gaming is suddenly not as readily available. I think these numbers are a bad sign for consoles.

Consoles won't outright fail, but I think a massive market correction is incoming.

NPD November 2006: Wii - 476K

NPD December 2006: Wii - 604K

NPD January 2007: Wii - 436K

NPD November 2012: Wii U - 425K

NPD December 2012: Wii U - 460K

NPD January 2013:
"cumulative 3 month wii u sales are down 38% vs. Wii's first three months"

Wii's 1st three months: 1516k

Wii U's 1st two months: 885k

Wii U's 3rd month =
1516 * 0.62 = 939.92k = "down 38% cumulatively"

939.92k - 885k = 54.92k

NPD January 2013: Wii U - 54.92K

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT.

55K is FUCKING BOMBSHELL numbers.

If the Wii U keeps it up, expect to see Iwata and Reggie out by March 2014 100% confirmed.

The Wii U might be the next Dreamcast, guys.

-----------By "next Dreamcast," I meant it strictly in terms of market availability.

If the Wii U keeps selling at FUCKING 55K, it's going to be discontinued by early 2015.

Yawnier

Banned
NPD November 2006: Wii - 476K

NPD December 2006: Wii - 604K

NPD January 2007: Wii - 436K

NPD November 2012: Wii U - 425K

NPD December 2012: Wii U - 460K

NPD January 2013:
"cumulative 3 month wii u sales are down 38% vs. Wii's first three months"

Wii's 1st three months: 1516k

Wii U's 1st two months: 885k

Wii U's 3rd month =
1516 * 0.62 = 939.92k = "down 38% cumualtively"

939.92k - 885k = 54.92k

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT.

55K is FUCKING BOMBSHELL numbers.

If the Wii U keeps it up, expect to see Iwata and Reggie out by March 2014 100% confirmed.

The Wii U might be the next Dreamcast, guys.

I'm not sure what is up with the all these Wii U/Dreamcast comparisons.

SEGA had way less than money at the time compared to Nintendo in the present plus, I'm quite sure that the Dreamcast actually had a kickass launch with a whole slew of exclusive games; there were some 1st party titles like Sonic Adventure, and then some 3rd party titles like Power Stone and Soul Calibur which were all there at launch.

Wii U exclusive launch titles on the other hand... Blech.

Edit: Nvm, you clarified.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I don't believe 55k, but that is good for Wii u. Considering it has no games, nothing really coming for 6 months, a poor price, crap online, no real account system, a poor online store, only comes in two colors, has more expensive multiplats, has dated multiplats, has worse running multiplats, has no good marketing, looks and feels kinda cheap, etc, that's great. I mean considering those few things.

Don't hold back. Tell us how you REALLY feel!

So what do we blame: Unattractive hardware? Poor messaging/market confusion? Competition from the other console makers/tablets?
I've had a suspicion that the console at present only essentially appeals/provides strong value proposition to the core Nintendo gamer - so that could be the case if the numbers are this bad.
So WiiU is PS3 all over again?
If it's 55K - Wii U wishes it was PS3 all over again.

fabprems

If 55k is true.... lolz

January 2007

Wii - 436,000
360 - 294,000
PS3 - 244,000
PS2 - 299,000
NDS - 239,000
PSP - 211,000
GBA - 179,000
GC - 34,000

You may want to compare it to January... 2006...

Ok, neogaf is going batshit crazy, time to leave.

Someone please add "55k warning" to the thread title.

DAFKiaS.gif

I...don't believe that Wii U number.
I just can't believe it.

If NSMBU is not enough parents to pick up Wii U at the current pricepoint, Lego City won't do shit. The Wii U is fucked until Nintendo price drops/gets Mario Kart out.

teiresias

I agree with people that aren't even sure who one would blame at NOA. It's not like there's some laundry list of games in Japan that NOA is refusing to localize and release, and without the obvious hook that drove the casuals to flock to the original Wii I'm not even sure different or more ads would do the trick.

Then again, I don't have actual television service (cable cutter here), so I have no idea how much or little the Wii-U has seen TV advertisement here.

Spiegel

I do wonder if this does portend poorly for the entire industry. There are a shit ton of flaws with the Wii U, but numbers this bad, off the back of an underwhelming 3DS start and the Vita disaster tells me there might be a very bad trend.

We'll see.

WiiU is what would have happened to the Wii if motion controls hadn't been a huge hit.

I don't think it has anything to do with the industry or the economy.

Anybody celebrating poor Wii U numbers is crazy. It doesn't bode well for the next generation of consoles which will certainly cost more and will have their own post-launch lull of releases to contend with. That's some of the most shortsighted celebrating I think I've ever seen.
Nintendo droughts are beyond the "lulls" that we experience on Sony or MS systems. Take it from a Wii owner and anyone who owns a Wii U.
I can't get over the weak hardware. I can't imagine that many gamers who owned a 360/PS3 would.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
If Wii U numbers are correct Nintendo is in SERIOUS trouble... Reggie needs to go, ASAP.

Wii U is failing every where (well..not quite as bad in Japan, but still bad).

This is all on Iwata.

Tuck

55k? Thats absolutely horrible. Damn...

Ok, don'tpanic. Nintendo has pulled around the 3DS. They can do it with the Wii U too.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm sure that DMC4 benefited from releasing much earlier this generation, but I honestly don't remember the marketing being all that better than DmC's. DmC also had reviewers and media riding it all the way for some odd reason.

Sure, but if it didn't have any TV ads (which games like Dragon's Dogma had), then I see it as them taking a lighter approach on the marketing.

Plus, it had that 4 year gap in between games.

Anybody celebrating poor Wii U numbers is crazy. It doesn't bode well for the next generation of consoles which will certainly cost more and will have their own post-launch lull of releases to contend with. That's some of the most shortsighted celebrating I think I've ever seen.

wiiU is a last gen relic designed around last gen specs with no games, its not surprising its bombing.

what is happening on wiiU won't happen to D+O

And it is region locked...

braves01

Banned

Lol how do you really feel? The only thing I disagree with is the quality.

Cipherr

All of the above and more. Big ass patches for day one purchasers. Shitty library. Stupid name (WiiU? Really?) ridiculous price for a 8 year old machine. No parity with the new coming consoles, competition from phones and tablets (I was skeptical of this, but its inarguable now. The game is changing) and much much more.

No third parties want anything to do with it. They dismiss it and look forward to the next 'REAL' consoles. And Nintendo foolishly thought they could recapture lightning in a bottle rather than being smart and realizing that they got lucky last time.

Now they will learn a 7-8 year lesson as this thing fast tracks its way to being discontinued.

Top Bottom