• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD January 2013 Sales Results [Up7: Wii U 57K (CNET), Vita ~35K, PS3 201K]

test_account

XP-39C²
Speaking from experience, when I was a kid enjoying my newly released 360, all the Sony fans waiting for the PS3 were real jerks. So now as a grown up I have an innate distaste for Sony. Not their fault really.
I think that you're actually have a distaste for those people, not for Sony. But you want it to go through Sony, so that it affects those people. I think that is the reason for much of the dislike and hate towards a system, not necessarily because of the system or company itself, but because of what fans of those system says. It is like this for all systems.

Jezbollah

So, Microsoft sold three times as many 360s in the US in January than Nintendo sold Wii Us in both the US and UK in the same month?

Am I right with that? If so, wow.

donny2112

I think these obscure times will be forgotten by E3 when HD Mario, Smash and probably Zelda are shown *o*

We don't forget GameCube sales from Spring 2002. If we had had access to monthly NPD figures, we would still be remembering PSX and N64 sales from 1997. No, it won't be forgotten. Besides, E3 "Excitement" isn't going to magically turn around monthly sales, in any case. :p

So, Microsoft sold three times as many 360s in the US in January than Nintendo sold Wii Us in both the US and UK in the same month?

Am I right with that? If so, wow.
Probably 4x. I doubt the Wii U sold much more than 10-12K in January in the UK.

Or to put it another way, in January, Microsoft likely sold more 360s in the US than the number of Wii Us that Nintendo sold worldwide.

Yawnier

Banned
Same. After the garbage festivals that were the Wii, Wii U, PS3, and Vita, I'm not sure if anyone would miss Sony or Nintendo at this point.

The Wii and PS3 are/were far from 'garbage festivals'. The Wii had a fairly weak last two years up until the Wii U launch (except for Xenoblade and Zelda) but that is it really.

I do wonder if too little credit is being given to NSMB and Mario Kart for the success of the DS and Wii. It looks like they were just along for the ride after NSMBU failed to push the WiiU much, but NSMB and MKDS still look pretty vital to the DS' success looking back on it (and how the DS rose after NSMB).

Maybe NSMB lost a little appeal instead of not having any power and being along for the ride.

The DS and Wii NSMB games had a ton of power. Sure. NSMB Wii was sold out in some stores when it came out in the 2009 holiday season and Wii broke the december record. You bet it's got power.

The problem now is that it's not evolving. It's been a long time before a 2D Mario came out so when the DS and Wii games came, people welcomed them and excused the medicore music and graphics.

Now it's overkill. They released two "new" ones this year, separated by mere months, and they're barely different from each other or the ones on DS and Wii. Backgrounds are updated a bit but the artstyle still sucks and the character models in U look just like the Wii game's and the music is largely the same and even more annoying now. New levels alone don't cut it, though the levels mostly expand on old ideas. It's not like Super Mario Bros. 3 that got rid of flag poles and threw in air ships and ground battle tanks and laser eyed statues among a ton of other things and expanded the Mushroom Kingdom with the eight worlds we play in today complete with kings and wands, and Peach wasn't even kidnapped until the end.

I think they're hurting 2D Mario by being idiots with how the series is being managed. I think people do want more 2D Mario, but they don't want more "NEW" Super Mario Bros and "BAH BAH" and all of that.

That's why I think the Wii U and 3DS games will be a large decline from the Wii and DS games, where as Call of Duty's decline is small and... heck, Black Ops and Modern Warfare are seen as two different brands of Call of Duty with Black Ops now being the more popular of the two. I guess it also helps that there all on PS3 and Xbox 360, selling to an existing userbase and expanding on it. NSMB on 3DS and Wii U have to sell systems, but NSMB Wii did have a large Wii userbase to sell to when it came out. NSMB DS' sales came over time.

Tobor

Getting better means we get Capcom ports and a very small handful of others. For instance, you can count the number of JRPGs on Steam using your fingers. Even though PC is my main platform, Steam and other services have a long way to go before I could ditch Sony and Nintendo consoles altogether.

Nature abhors a vacuum. If Sony and Nintendo were gone, those games would end up somewhere. Either Steam, or iOS, or a new console. Or combinations of all three. They wouldn't disappear, is my point.

evangd007

Nature abhors a vacuum. If Sony and Nintendo were gone, those games would end up somewhere. Either Steam, or iOS, or a new console. Or combinations of all three. They wouldn't disappear, is my point.

The future of Japanese games if Sony and Nintendo go under:

iVyS9yRvFrVvr.gif

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I don't understand why we're already talking about the world after Sony/Nintendo demise, what the heck =P

That is crazy.
Crazy and soul crushing if you're Nintendo and invested shit tons of money into developing this product. It probably will be like the GC all over again though since they'll reuse the technology from the Wii U in their product lines for over a decade or more.

I was an adult at 360 launch. I remember standing in a Blockbuster during summer 2006 waiting to check out my rental copy of GRAW (or some other shooter) for 360. A ten-year-old boy behind me in line said, loudly "why did you buy a 360? I'm getting a PS3, it's THREE TIMES as powerful!".

Was irritated as hell. And at his parents, who were with him, for letting him be a rude little dick.

And of course I bought a PS3 at launch regardless.

And of course there are 360 fans who are dicks also.

Hey man, I was a kid what do you want from me.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Have I been arguing with a teenager in ComicGAF... just how old are you Birdie...

Since someone raised the supposed 10 billion Nintendo just has in readies, thats what makes them deserve this extra helping of shit pie really. Just sitting on a money bin watching talented studios detonate, disappear, all while they pig-headedly choose not to expand barely beyond their normal bounds. The Bayonetta 2 "purchase" was the first time Nintendo flexed a little chump change to appeal directly to my sensibilities.

Investors will be furious, surely. To go from such peaks to back worse than the Gamecube low. Don't see how Iwata survives this really.

I was an adult at 360 launch. I remember standing in a Blockbuster during summer 2006 waiting to check out my rental copy of GRAW (or some other shooter) for 360. A ten-year-old boy behind me in line said, loudly "why did you buy a 360? I'm getting a PS3, it's THREE TIMES as powerful!".

Was irritated as hell. And at his parents, who were with him, for letting him be a rude little dick.

And of course I bought a PS3 at launch regardless.

And of course there are 360 fans who are dicks also.

The lessons learnt from the PS3 launch will be interesting this time. I still remember all the pre launch hype, how the console would usher in the real next generation of gaming, how it would make the 360 look like a .5 step up in power, visuals, you name it and then the games were shown and that hype was deflated faster than anything I've ever witnessed.

DmC < 200k is confirmed?
I thought so. That would mean that the game is way overshipped too. What a sad turn of events, especially ironic since the game actually turned out pretty good.
I think the 10 billion is to fight off any hostile takeover and is there in case they need to buy back their stock. I am not sure it's intended for development (a lot of the profits they did use were for expansion and new hires), but maybe it should be at this point. Microsoft is in no position to consider buying Nintendo again, so it's not like they need to be paranoid about it.
There's still Disney... hungry, hungry Disney. I'm sure that they're salivating about the idea of adding Peach and Daisy to their Princess collection right now.

Have I been arguing with a teenager in ComicGAF... just how old are you Birdie...

Since someone raised the supposed 10 billion Nintendo just has in readies, thats what makes them deserve this extra helping of shit pie really. Just sitting on a money bin watching talented studios detonate, disappear, all while they pig-headedly choose not to expand barely beyond their normal bounds. The Bayonetta 2 "purchase" was the first time Nintendo flexed a little chump change to appeal directly to my sensibilities.

Investors will be furious, surely. To go from such peaks to back worse than the Gamecube low. Don't see how Iwata survives this really.

I think the 10 billion is to fight off any hostile takeover and is there in case they need to buy back their stock. I am not sure it's intended for development (a lot of the profits they did use were for expansion and new hires), but maybe it should be at this point. Microsoft is in no position to consider buying Nintendo again, so it's not like they need to be paranoid about it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I thought so. That would mean that the game is way overshipped too. What a sad turn of events, especially ironic since the game actually turned out pretty good.

Great game, agreed - anyone who sees it in motion is blown away. What a game, wild what they did with it, and fun as hell.

Reiko

Banned
The lessons learnt from the PS3 launch will be interesting this time. I still remember all the pre launch hype, how the console would usher in the real next generation of gaming, how it would make the 360 look like a .5 step up in power, visuals, you name it and then the games were shown and that hype was deflated faster than anything I've ever witnessed.

Some on GAF are doing that again now.

An sku without the gamepad is just asking to be ridiculed to death. It also contradicts the whole point of wiiU.

Otherwise, just get a ps3 or x360... Way cheaper

Probably 4x. I doubt the Wii U sold much more than 10-12K in January in the UK.

Or to put it another way, in January, Microsoft likely sold more 360s in the US than the number of Wii Us that Nintendo sold worldwide.

If it were selling more than 2-3k per week Mario or Nintendoland would be charting in top 40.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I've noticed. I can only assume they weren't around for the PS3 pre launch hype. No-one who was would be doing it again.

Sony's internal studios have come a LONG WAY since the muted beginning of PS3. Like every company, HD development proved a really high wall for everyone to climb, but with an easier box to develop on in the PS4, Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, and Guerilla are going to BEAST.

Sony's internal studios have come a LONG WAY since the muted beginning of PS3. Like every company, HD development proved a really high wall for everyone to climb, but with an easier box to develop on in the PS4, Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, and Guerilla are going to BEAST.
Which makes the situation Nintendo has created for itself all the more frustrating since it was easy to see coming. It's not like they're being forced to trailblaze into new territory or something.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Which makes the situation Nintendo has created for itself all the more frustrating since it was easy to see coming. It's not like they're being forced to trailblaze into new territory or something.

But they didn't have a machine to practice on. For most of Nintendo's guys, the most powerful machine they've worked on is Wii.

The fact that this NPD is this long is understandable (November and December will break records again) but it's extremely frustrating that NPD does this bullshit to us. Even cream has been silenced. I don't even give a shit about Vita numbers at this point we all know where that's heading. 3DS numbers would be far more interesting.

Kenaras

I've noticed. I can only assume they weren't around for the PS3 pre launch hype. No-one who was would be doing it again.

The PS2 pre-launch hype was out of this world too. Personally, I was floored to see people falling for it again with the PS3. At this point it just doesn't surprise me anymore.

The PS2 pre-launch hype was out of this world too. Personally, I was floored to see people falling for it again with the PS3. At this point it just doesn't surprise me anymore.

But this is probably the first gen where you get full spec leaked prior to release. I mean like, unless its really really inaccurate, we a
Ready know what to expect

gkryhewy

How many times has a sony 1st/2nd party ps3 exclusive cracked an npd top ten? 2? 3?

jcm

The fact that this NPD is this long is understandable (November and December will break records again) but it's extremely frustrating that NPD does this bullshit to us. Even cream has been silenced. I don't even give a shit about Vita numbers at this point we all know where that's heading. 3DS numbers would be far more interesting.

Seriously. Fuck npd.

Saty

What's preventing GAF users to unite and buy one of those monthly reports (isn't it like $15k each?). Every member who chipped in will get the copy and agree to not go around the web and quote the numbers :x

test_account

XP-39C²
What's preventing GAF users to unite and buy one of those monthly reports (isn't it like $15k each?). Every member who chipped in will get the copy and agree to not go around the web and quote the numbers :x
I would guess that there is some rules you have to agree to when buying NPD reports, that doesnt allow you to share it with everyone.

Top Bottom