• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD July 2012 Sales Results [Up3: 3DS Hardware Correction - 124K+]

NateDrake

Will try to figure that out (shouldn't be too hard to write up the query).

The problem is that that makes 360's marketshare of PS360/Wii 49.8%, when the PR said 49%. Therefore, I'm thinking of going with the high ranges of this post to put PS3 @ 140K and Wii @ 70K. That'd make 360's marketshare of PS360/Wii 49.2%, which does work with the PR. That'd make the numbers to use for predictions ...

360 - 203K
PS3 - 140K
3DS - 131K
WII - 70K
PSV - 48.5K (average of range endpoints)

Will these be the numbers you use for the prediction thread if nothing more official comes out?

Dalthien

Nah, sales aren't uniformly poor throughout an entire country, there are going to be regions in the US where Vita is actually selling decently and in those places they will need to re-up their supply. Same thing with stores, some chains will sell better than others, so as one chain sits on supply for a long time, another might need to order a little bit more now and then
If X-Mas sales are weak this year, I could absolutely see Vita halting production temporarily (if not permanently) early-mid next year. Sony still has hope that X-Mas might go well for Vita, so they will keep the plants humming for now to have a decent holiday supply ready (although if retailer orders come in low - then they might reconsider building up a hefty holiday supply).

Nintendo shut down production of the Gamecube for a while in summer 2003. They were sitting on too much supply, with too little sales - so they just shut things down for a while to help clear out the backlog of inventory.

It gets expensive to have to run manufacturing lines for tiny numbers of units. At some point, it becomes less expensive to just shut down for 3 months or 6 months or whatever and clear out the inventory that you've built up. Under normal circumstances, with these sales that Vita has been putting up for months now - I would actually expect them to either go with a big price drop to clear inventory, or to halt production early-mid next year for a while. But with the PS4 coming soon, they likely won't do that. The news of the shutdown would get out to the public, and that would be horrible PR right before the launch of a new platform.

However, if PS4 isn't being released until 2014 then yeah - I could see a shutdown in production next year (if holiday sales suck this year).

Petrae

The problem is that that makes 360's marketshare of PS360/Wii 49.8%, when the PR said 49%. Therefore, I'm thinking of going with the high ranges of this post to put PS3 @ 140K and Wii @ 70K. That'd make 360's marketshare of PS360/Wii 49.2%, which does work with the PR. That'd make the numbers to use for predictions ...

360 - 203K
PS3 - 140K
3DS - 131K
WII - 70K
PSV - 48.5K (average of range endpoints)

That seem reasonable?

More than reasonable. In fact, that's more accurate than what was listed previously.

I disagree. Just like the PS2 saw a resurgance at $99, so would have the Wii. It would of died down after the holidays, but something about that two-digit price tag moves consoles to a whole new group of people who wouldn't buy it otherwise. As for the YOY, the overall holiday period (November + December) wouldn't of went down (IMO).

It took the PS2 nine years to reach $99.

The problem is that that makes 360's marketshare of PS360/Wii 49.8%, when the PR said 49%.

MS PR could have meant 49.4%. Given the intrinsic margins of error here, I'm not sure what you did helped anything rather than just rearranging numbers.

Edit: But given Petra's comment, nvmind.

That's Sony's business, they have to find their place by themselves.
But honestly I don't see why acoording to you it is so difficult to make a successful niche.
As long as you don't sell the hardware at a loss, you make profits from your own software and the installed base is nig enough to allow for decent software sales (which is something a 20-30m installed base can easily do), I really don't see the problem. Of course even creating such a niche require an investement, you're not getting there by abandoning a product on the market.

We dont know if the hardware is being sold at a loss or not but if they were to cut the price they certainly would be selling at a loss but without said price cut (and significantly better support) they aint getting close to 20 million

It's strange that decided to cater more towards the western market with the Vita after doing the exact same thing with the PSP and failing, except the PSP at least had interesting games for the japanese market so it was very successful there.

AniHawk

I'm not optimistic about the Wii, I'm optimistic about the $99 price tag in general. And I really don't care how well the Wii does, I just don't think the 360 passing the Wii is such a foregone conclusion like some seem to think, which was my original point.

thing with the wii is that unlike the ps2, it already comes with stuff. you'd basically be getting a $100 console with a $50 game at $99.99.

Subitai

Jules_pulp_fiction.jpg

PRICE DROP MOTHA FUCKA, DO YOU SPEAK IT?

Apparently not nowadays. Companies don't give a flat fuck anymore. Maybe there's a chance for holidays.
There is this for people who can't afford $300 up front.
$99 w/ 2 year contract of $14.99 a month.

Maybe it will go down to $49.

jvm

Gamasutra.
He probably meant WW not considering the fact that Sony launched the PS2 in a bunch of Other territories. The US is not the reason PS2 shipments have remained so strong.
Did it get a global price cut to US$100...?

I don't get it.

Edit: Mar 2009 - Sep 2011 I'm seeing shipments of 16.3 million worldwide. Seriously? (link)

Edit: Apr 2009 - Mar 2012 I'm seeing shipments of 17.8 million worldwide. (link)

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
No. Price cut was April 2009.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/31/playstation-2-now-99/

Sales since then? 2.4 million, give or take.

Sorry, I meant worldwide. I had no idea NA PS2 sales made up such a lackluster portion of those WW numbers since the $99 cut. I retract my part of the argument in relation to PS2 sales, seems I made a boo-boo

Edit: I still believe the Wii will see a resurgence with a $99 price tag, and will at least hold off the 360 until the end of next year.

TheNatural

My Member!
There is this for people who can't afford $300 up front.
$99 w/ 2 year contract of $14.99 a month.

Maybe it will go down to $49.

I remember the days when consoles being out 7 years meant they were $99 or less ... period. Not $99 plus contract that makes you pay more than the actual total price.

This generation has been the worst in videogame history for actual budget priced systems. Instead of just dropping prices, they keep the price and replace the SKU with a bigger, worthless hard drive or redesign.

And they wonder why sales are so shitty.

Translation: Theatrhythm = 6x Rhythm Thief, 2x Heroes of Ruin. But I still have no idea what the ballpark we're talking about is.... c'mon, creamsugar, give us something.

Well we know Theatrythm didn't sell more than 88k or probably even more than 60-70k, so that means Rhythm Thief and Heroes of Ruin bombed.

Well we know Theatrythm didn't sell more than 88k or probably even more than 60-70k, so that means Rhythm Thief and Heroes of Ruin bombed.
I bought my copy from PlayAsia because I couldn't find a single copy anywhere. Sega's doing terrible these days. Heroes of Ruin is not a surprise is a new title with no publicity at all.

donny2112

Will try to figure that out (shouldn't be too hard to write up the query).

Was harder than I thought due to not storing GAF_Agg's number in the main point-related tables, since GAF_Agg is ineligible for point rankings. Found three where the GAF_Agg was 500-1000 off from the total, and two others since January 2010 where it rounded to the value used for the predictions. One month in 2011 (can't say what month, as the number wasn't publicly released that month :p), and PSP in July 2010. Therefore on average, looks like GAF_Agg hits the "jackpot" about once a year. :D

by definition, a 19-month streak would end at month 19.

Oh. :lol

Sorry, I meant worldwide. I had no idea NA PS2 sales made up such a lackluster portion of those WW numbers since the $99 cut. I retract my part of the argument in relation to PS2 sales, seems I made a boo-boo

Edit: I still believe the Wii will see a resurgence with a $99 price tag, and will at least hold off the 360 until the end of next year.

Yeah, I assumed you were talking about US sales since it is an NPD thread.

I remember the days when consoles being out 7 years meant they were $99 or less ... period. Not $99 plus contract that makes you pay more than the actual total price.

This generation has been the worst in videogame history for actual budget priced systems. Instead of just dropping prices, they keep the price and replace the SKU with a bigger, worthless hard drive or redesign.

And they wonder why sales are so shitty.

Not this gen or last. As pointed put already the PS2 took 9 years to reach $99.

Ridley327

Theatryhthm = 47K => Rhythm Thief = 8K ( :( Really liked the demo) => Heroes of Ruin = 24K

Edit:
Amazon was selling Rhythm Thief for $10 off, and it sold out. Was hoping that meant better sales for it. :(

With the reality of Rhythm Thief being one of the last non-blockbuster titles that Sega is going to be publishing at retail, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it sold out of whatever meager shipment they put out for it.

Holy crap. The industry is really dead. New consoles are needed badly.

Most of that list is discounted software that has been around for a long time.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I only remember being said earlier by Petrae that Theatrhythm < 61k.

John, what's the 47k for? Vita? Theatrhythm?

Krilekk

Banned
Wow. That list is super surprising. Nobody must be buying games.

No, you're reading it wrong. People are buying more and more in digital downloads. According to the NPD overall revenue actually increased yoy, just retail revenue decreased. The only problem are console sales. They could sell better with a substantial price cut but even then there's this thing: Last gen saw sales of 150 million for PS2, 25 million for Gamecube and 30 million for Xbox. This gen saw sales of 90 million for Wii, 65 million for Xbox 360 and 60 million for PS3. Which means that the market is already bigger than last gen and it's no wonder sales are going down at some point due to market saturation.

Krilekk

Banned
Forcibly extending this generation was a mistake. People are ready for new hardware.

Except hardware isn't everything. You better release the next console when you're sure it has no flaws instead of going early to the market and having another 1 billion RROD-like fiasco at your hands. Or make that two billion cause that number is only for the damages to existing customers, the whole RROD cost MS a lot of potential sales.

Top Bottom