• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD July 2020, Ghost of Tsushima #1, Call of Duty: MW #2, Paper Mario #3

Kenji Ramon

From Venture Beat:
Consumer spending across video game hardware, content, and accessories totaled $3.6 billion in July 2020, increasing 32% when compared to a year ago,” NPD analyst Mat Piscatella said. “Double-digit percentage spending gains in accessories, subscription, mobile, and both digital full game as well as post launch spending on console and PC offset a slight decline in hardware.”

Ghost of Tsushima is developer Sucker Punch Productions’ fastest selling release in history. Ghost of Tsushima also debuts as 2020’s 5th best-selling game year-to-date.”

Kenji Ramon

ezgif-7-92b2357fbb7f.gif

The Last of Us: Part II
“The Last of Us: Part II was July’s fourth-best-selling title, and it remains the third best-selling game of 2020 year-to-date. Life-to-date dollar sales of The Last of Us: Part II are now the 3rd highest for a Sony published game in history, trailing only Marvel’s Spider-Man and 2018’s God of War.”

Depending on wording that could mean it's sold less than those two games had at this point post release, or it's already sold more than any other exclusive full stop.

Notably it's missing any details on total sales or percentage increase, so I would personally not like to say it's sales are proving the haters entirely wrong, but it's definitely not slowing down in the US as it has elsewhere.

Reindeer

TLOU2 at fourth. But everyone said it fell off a cliff after a week...
It was released towards the end of June so you wouldn't expect massive drop off in July, but it's still very disappointing numbers for the biggest Sony release of this gen in its first month on retail. TLOU2 is being comfortably beaten by a new Sony IP, something not many people would have expected. The August NPD numbers will be more telling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Depending on wording that could mean it's sold less than those two games had at this point post release, or it's already sold more than any other exclusive full stop.

Notably it's missing any details on total sales or percentage increase, so I would personally not like to say it's sales are proving the haters entirely wrong, but it's definitely not slowing down in the US as it has elsewhere.

High life to date dollar sales are an indication of high ASP, so not of a bargain bin bomb essentially.

After doing some quick maths, from what I can gather about GoTs sold numbers currently, it should be sitting at about 4.5million sold. After one month that's great. I think it has a small chance of catching tlou2 eventually down the road. Great numbers for a new IP.

Kenji Ramon

It was released towards the end of June so you wouldn't expect massive drop off in July, but it's still very disappointing numbers for the biggest Sony release of this gen in its first month on retail. TLOU2 is being comfortably beaten by a new Sony IP, something not many people would have expected. The August NPD numbers will be more telling.

Uhh what? TLOU2 is the fastest selling PS exclusive - it sold over 4 million in just 3 days and is most likely on track to beat Spider-Man.

[Sigma]

Go exclusives go!!! Congrats to SuckerPunch. GoT is my favorite open world game this gen. Naturally im happy this game is selling so well.

Reindeer

Uhh what? TLOU2 is the fastest selling PS exclusive - it sold over 4 million in just 3 days and is most likely on track to beat Spider-Man.
Initial sales were very high yes, but it also saw the biggest drop off since then compared to other Sony games. The initial sales were likely driven by hype around the first game, but it lost that momentum once the knowledge of politics and direction of the sequel became widespread.

Last edited by a moderator:

This is a very good point. I don't have skin in the game, TLOU2 can do as well as it wants but we've seen from divisive entries like in TLJ, franchises get shafted subsequently with future releases.

Sales for TLoU2 were always gonna be high, the level of goodwill ND has is like Nintendo level.

There was a huge concerted marketing and (games media) push to ensure its success. But this game is also tremendously expensive and sales at least 10mil might get them to break even - I doubt it has legs after the sales in Jun/July to sustain a sizeable profit to what Sony expects

Poplin

Paper Mario Sticker Star 3 charting BLEHH!

Now i know we'll never get a Thousand Year Door style game.

Dont forget that's excluding digital. Including digital it's entirely possible it would have been 2, or maybe even 1. This is pretty huge for a paper mario game.

SkylineRKR

Tsushima is my GOTY so far, I think Cyberpunk might topple it, but I'm not sure if I am going to play that on PS4 or just wait for PS5 version. But Tsushima is my favourite Sony open world game this generation and also the best one on the system bar TW3. I platted it which I rarely do (I didn't even plat TW3 which is my fave game, granted its a much tougher plat). The next-gen loading and the overall feel of the game helped making it very smooth to do so.

I did also notice the TLOU2 drop off. July should've been its first full month on sale. Though it had almost 2 weeks in June. Personally I'd give TLOU2 an 83% and Tsushima a 90%. The press had it the other way around, but luckily it doesn't seem to impact sales that much. The game is making waves and especially the word of mouth is strong, Japanese developers are outspoken about it as well. TLOU2's word of mouth was worse.

Last edited:

VALCON 82

Frankly i am appalled that GTAV is not in this list.. it has been the only constant that we could count on for the last few years let alone 2020 when our collective world has been torn asunder wi... i can't keep this up!

But Holy Hell @ Sword Art Online making top 10!!

Top Bottom