• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2011 Sales Results [Update5: Most HW in, Infamous 2]

BurntPork said:
If 3DS isn't "saved" by January, Revelations will almost certainly be either cancelled or moved to Vita anyway. Crossing off RE is fine.

This is silly. Worst case scenario it simply gets ported. It is Capcom after all.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
What the fuck man.

Oh right, he made RE4 as well as those shoddy action games.

Jokes aside, my point was that nobody should be that surprised about how it did all things considered. Outside of boards like GAF nobody knows that he made RE4. If they go looking at his body of work they see God Hand and Viewtiful Joe, both cult classics, both completely incomprehensible to the average Joe Dudebro.

Elios83

DefectiveReject said:
DS releases poorly, doomed they said.

Nintendo release games. DS wins

3DS Releases slightly better than DS, doomed they say.

Nintendo is about to open the treasure trove in the space of 4 months.

Not that easy, Nintendo has still not announced or shown anything that will drive the masses to adopt the system.
For the DS it was the 129$ price, the Lite and Nintendogs which made the magic.

Snipes424

Duxxy3 said:
I still see no indication that kinect is the driving force behind the 360's sales.

What is it then? Is it the slim? what software would drive those numbers? It really defies all logic at this point.

On a side note, even though Infamous 2 sold fairly well, I wish it would of done better, the game is good enough where it should sell 1-2million first month. I guess if Cole had an AK-47 then it might of hit those numbers. Kind of a shame really.

duk

Banned
- Great news for MS, no new xbox wil 2013 at least
- No xbox 360 price drop til PS3 bites first
- Good news for Wii U
- Maybe PS4 will launch before 720 now
- 360 to rock this xmas

Speevy said:
Okay, at this rate, how long would it take the Xbox 360 to catch the Wii in the US?

About 30 months at June's rate. It isn't going to happen. They can certainly make it much closer, like Sony is going to do in Japan.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
BurntPork said:
If 3DS isn't "saved" by January, Revelations will almost certainly be either cancelled or moved to Vita anyway. Crossing off RE is fine.

You are being crazy and you should stop being crazy.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is it bad that I'm surprised that Shadows of the Damned is still full price when Alice dropped so fast? I wanted both but knew they would drop. Got Alice for $35.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Infamous 2 - 369.2K
Ocarina of Time 3D - 283.2K

Numbers are real, unable to comment further. And this is not a policy shift re: leaks, so don't get any ideas.

chubigans said:
Which is why Sony isn't attempting to go for the casual gamer. They're going for the core. They've even said as much in a recent interview.

And that's why the Vita will perform nicely.

The Vita will not do nicely with that software lineup it has.

BurntPork said:

How long have you been keeping track of the gaming industry? It doesn't work like that.

SpacLock

Microsoft has done really well for itself so far this generation. They have really come a long way since the first Xbox launched. They're making some serious cash in what was a losing division a few years ago.

Congratulations to the people working in that division.

If I'm Sony, I get the hell away from the PS3 as soon as possible. I'm not even sure a 100 dollar price drop would spur sales outside of several months.

FreeMufasa

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
I think Nintendo's main problem is that they haven't come up with any new casual software since that Brain Age, Nintendogs, WiiSports, WiiFit run they had. Those games were some of the biggest system sellers ever. They followed them up with WiiMusic which failed...And they haven't done anything new and interesting in the casual space since. They rehashed WiiSports but it had the Motion+ so it did well though it didn't push hardware. Nintendogs+Cats bombed. WiiPlay 2 bombed. No new casual stuff at e3.

Spot on and in that aspect, i've been really dissapointed with Nintendo. Where is the new generation of casual games? Zelda, Star Fox, Kid Icarus etc. wont move systems outside of the small bump we see here. Nintendo need to make the next Nintendogs, brain training, electroplankton etc. to reach those big time sales.

Looking back, it blows my mind how much stuff Nintendo did right last gen and the roll they were on near the start. Seems like they've just gone the PS3/360 route this gen.

I know I know, blue ocean red ocean.

DefectiveReject said:
DS releases poorly, doomed they said.

Nintendo release games. DS wins

3DS Releases slightly better than DS, doomed they say.

Nintendo is about to open the treasure trove in the space of 4 months.
That's the hope. But I think the 3DS is in a different situation.

Sure, when Mario Kart comes out it'll be great, for example. But most parents will think they already bought Mario Kart for their kids with their old DS, so why would they purchase another DS model for $250 and a new game that plays exactly the same?

I think this is the mentality that casual consumers and/or parents will have. Gamers like us will eat it up, but I think it'll be a little harder for Nintendo to win over the casual market this time around.

Part of the DS' huge success was Brain Age and games like NintenDogs. But the new NintenDogs game for the 3DS didn't sell or move systems and there are so many 99 cents Brain Age type of APPs they can download from their smart phones, why would they want to pay $40 for a mini-game collection?

I think the 3DS is in a uphill battle.

That's just my opinion on it. Same with Wii U.

outunderthestars said:
You mean the people who stand in lines to buy iphones and ipads? Sorry, the market is clearly contracting.

Is this a joke account?
just because he had a melt down, doesn't mean its a joke post.

HD consoles are crushing Wii at the moment, this wasn't true at all in 2008 or 09 or 07 or 06 or even 10;

on a side note, people buying app games at 1$ are much less important to the industry as a whole compared to a very average core gamer, unless they buy around 100 games a year.

Elios83 said:
Not that easy, Nintendo has still not announced or shown anything that will drive the masses to adopt the system.
For the DS it was the 129$ price, the Lite and Nintendogs which made the magic.
You think they don't have a HELL of a lot of room for a price drop built in to tHeir model?
Mario and Mario kart will swing them over

Deku

Banned
I think Reggie and NOA needs to reformulate their strategy considering he was speaking in shades of green before launch, implying basically, the system will sell itself.

That said, DS is doing really well and they're making a good margin on 3DS hardware, so sustainability ad infinitum isn't a problem. And most importantly for them, they have a lot of time to adjust and tweak strategy and or simply just sit on it and let games come out to alter the purchase equation just as they did with the DS.

DMeisterJ

Banned
ThisWreckage said:
If I'm Sony, I get the hell away from the PS3 as soon as possible. I'm not even sure a 100 dollar price drop would spur sales outside of several months.
Thank God you aren't running Sony then.
--
:eek:

Nice Infamous 2 numbers.

TheNatural

My Member!
Here you go Burnt, invest in some of this:

Lithium.jpg

pharmboy044 said:
If Shadows of the Damned did that bad, I don't want to know what Catherine and El Shadai will do next month

Cheech said:
I don't spend my money on half baked shit. That new Black Ops map pack was excellent though.

More or less what you can expect. NCAA football surrounded by bombas.

Wowza at 360 sales.

Nintendo and 3DS... I know you're new at this whole "releasing a video game system" thing. Not like you've done it before. But I hope this shows you that your software can chart and support your new hardware if you release it. You gave third-parties their "window." Capcom is releasing Monster Hunter on Vita. Bring on the first-party titles.

BurntPork

Banned
outunderthestars said:
You mean the people who stand in lines to buy iphones and ipads? Sorry, the market is clearly contracting.

Is this a joke account?
But they don't buy those just for gaming, so it's different. They're taking away some people, but for the most part people playing those games have never bought a gaming handheld. If you don't believe me, look at the figure posted a few posts back, showing that the 3DS sold more than the DS did is it's first June. The same goes for every month since launch, I believe. Also, look at the DS's enormous figure for last month. It's expansion.

Mrbob said:
It was supposed to be the AR stuff, but this flopped miserably and Nintendo currently does not have a plan B.

I forgot about the AR stuff.

I thought that was going to do okay :/. At least it was an effort I guess.

statham

FunkyPajamas said:
Come on Sony, drop the price by 100 bucks. I want to gift my dad a bluray player.
funny, a system that launched a year earlier @ $399, its competitor might be $199 before it hits $199 and the competitor launched @ $599. $400 drop compared to $100(if xbox drops =$200) and it launched a year early. crazy.

pharmboy044 said:
If Shadows of the Damned did that bad, I don't want to know what Catherine and El Shadai will do next month

Poorly. This board goes nuts for these kinds of games, but for the most part they never do all that well in the U.S. market...

statham said:
funny, a system that launched a year earlier @ $399, its competitor might be $199 before it hits $199 and the competitor launched @ $599. $400 drop compared to $100(if xbox drops =$200) and it launched a year early. crazy.

The 360 is already $199 and has been for some time.....

walking fiend said:
just because he had a melt down, doesn't mean its a joke post.

HD consoles are crushing Wii at the moment, this wasn't true at all in 2008 or 09 or 07 or 06 or even 10;

on a side note, people buying app games at 1$ are much less important to the industry as a whole compared to a very average core gamer, unless they buy around 100 games a year.
Hey guess what. The ps2 sells only 5 m a year compared to 25m. Shit ends dude. Wii was lucky to last as long as it did

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Glad inFamous 2 did well. Fantastic game that I was worried would get overlooked since I didn't see much hype for it beforehand. The second half was some of the most fun I've had with a game in a long time.

Top Bottom